HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   help for sinus pain please! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46294)

jhandley 08-05-2010 04:15 PM

help for sinus pain please!

Hi all
I am suffering constant sinus pain from herceptin. This is so debilitating that it was the main reason I went off herceptin after 4 years before...and subsequently relapsed after 8 months.

I have had scans which show inflammation of the sinuses which doesn't respond to antibiotics.
If you have tried something that has worked for you please let me know!
Thankyou
Jackie (down under)

Pam P 08-05-2010 06:06 PM

Re: help for sinus pain please!

Ugh! I feel your pain. I've been having sinus issues too. I don't know that herceptin is the culprit in my case though. About 1 1/2 yrs ago I had a virus that turned into sinus infection. I don't think it cleared 100% after antibiotics. Subsequent colds turned into sinus infections too.... the last one in March I finally went to an ENT & did 3 weeks of antibiotics which got me over the infection. But CT scan showed lots of inflammation in all sinus areas & the ENT said that would not resolve with antibiotics and would case same problems in future. He said the best option for me was sinus surgery to "clean things out" & get rid of the inflamed areas that are causing blocking. I opted not to do that but on PET scan in July the sinus inflammation was still showing up. I'm dreading getting more flu/sinus infections this winter and having to face the surgery for relief. Sorry I don't have a good suggestion for you, just want to tell who what's happening to me & see if it's similar. Has your doc talked about surgery?

Jackie07 08-05-2010 07:17 PM

Jackie,

I don't have the experience. But thought this link might help:

http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformat...nusSurgery.cfm

Hope you get better soon.

Sherryg683 08-05-2010 10:57 PM

My doctor doesn't seem to think my sinus pains are herceptin related but I know they are. I have such bad sinus issues after each herceptin treatment, it's awful. I actually feel myself stuffing up during treatment. They have tried putting benadryl in my drip to help but all that does is make me sleepy. It usually lasts for around 3 days after chemo. During those days I take sudafed, use a nebi pot , both of these help slightly. I did find this euclyptus oil stuff at a health food store that helps the most. You rub it under your nose and it is so cooling, it opens your sinus' up immediately. I don't know the name of it because it's written in Chinese. I would suggest going into a place like that and asking what remedies they have for sinus problems...good luck..if I run across something better, I'll let you know. Until then, I'll suffer along with you..sherry

Jackie07 08-06-2010 12:36 AM

Sounded like it's either Mentholatum (Japanese)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentholatum or

Tiger balm (Chinese)
http://www.tigerbalm.com/

that Sherry's talking about.

Becky 08-06-2010 04:09 PM

Can you try one of those nasal steroid sprays? They are prescriptions in the USA - names like Nasacort, Flonase, Nasenex are just 3 examples. The Flonase is generic now too and its name is fluticasone.

I have problems that were more intense on Herceptin and recently had an allergy attack where all the sinus cavities froze up and swelled. The pain was unbearable but I used the Nasenex and a cold pack and I was ok in the morning.

I think a drug like this may help you.

Ruth 08-06-2010 04:10 PM

Hi Jackie ~
I am so sorry that you have these sinus pain problems. I had similar issues (have had sinus surgery) however during Herceptin it was particularly bad. We ended up stopping the benedryl (50mg dose) during the Herceptin infusion and that helped immensely. I also used a Neddy pot with luke warm sea salt water to moisturize my nasal passages. My ENT thought 50mg benedryl was too high for someone with constant sinus infections and drainage problems. You need your sinuses to drain not be too stopped up especially if you have scar tissue, polyps or inflamed areas. So sorry!
Hugs ~ Ruth

Darlene Denise 08-06-2010 07:22 PM

I get relief from the Netti Pot Sinus Rinse Squeeze bottle. I find it easier than the Pot. I keep one in the shower and use it after things steam up. I also use it in the morning. I use Flonase twice a day after the rinse. When things are really stuffy, I also use Mucinex D to thin the mucous and it has a expectorant to get rid of it along with a decongestant. I also try to drink more water to help the thinning process.

I have to do all of these at the same time. It's the combo that seems to clear things up.

I hope you find relief asap.

Darlene

sassy 08-06-2010 09:27 PM

Jackie,

I actually put Vicks vapor rub in my nasal passages. I will also put a hot moist compress (as hot as I can stand it) on my face over the sinus cavities. These two things combined will relieve the pressure for me. The nasal sprays Becky mentioned have also been helpful.

jhandley 08-08-2010 03:14 AM

Hi everyone
Thanks so much for all your advice. I have a nasal spray and will try the Vicks and hot compress.
Cheers
Jackie (down under)

Ellie F 08-08-2010 03:53 AM

Hi Jackie
I also have sinus pain that only started with vit H. Like Sherry I start to feel it during the infusion. A neighbour of mine who is a severe hayfever sufferer suggested I buy an air purifier machine (electric plug in type about £30) and add olbas oil to the water. Must admit I was very sceptical but got one for the lounge and one for the bedroom.Been using them for past 3 weeks with olbas oil all the time and sinus issues very improved.
Hope this helps
Ellie