HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Something just hit me. (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46203)

Sherryg683 07-29-2010 01:02 PM

Something just hit me.

Been a little irritated. My son, who is super smart, decided that he's not going back to college this semester. Taking some time off to do nothing, that's what it appears to me. My little angel girl, is now a t'ween that is becoming mouthy and won't hold her mommas hand in public.
Just hit me though...Almost 5 years ago, I was told that I had less than a 20 percent chance of living to see all this wonderful stuff happening. And here I am, healthy and able to irritate the daylights out of them a little, or maybe a lots. There is hope!!!...Life is great!
sherry

Chelee 07-29-2010 01:17 PM

Re: Something just hit me.

Sherry, You are so RIGHT...that is the way to look at things. :) Your post made me smile and I needed that today. Also it gives us so much hope. Here's to your kids having you around another 50 yrs plus some more! You go girl.

Chelee

tricia keegan 07-29-2010 02:40 PM

Sherry, is'nt it wonderful lol???

My daughter and son also took a year out but thankfully returned to their studies and my son graduated five years ago and my daughter due to graduate this Sept:)

I recall giving them both a hard time about it, but so glad to be here still to see them achieve this:)

Laurel 07-29-2010 05:53 PM

Aw. I just loved your post, Sherry. Stick around and keep on driving them nuts!

chrisy 07-29-2010 05:59 PM

Love it Sherry! A whole different perspective on dealing with pouty teenagers:)

caya 07-29-2010 07:32 PM

Such a great uplifting post Sherry!! These everyday life experiences are the best...

Hoping you continue to have many more irritating moments...

all the best
caya

Mary Jo 07-29-2010 07:42 PM

Yup life....not always fantastic, but LIFE nonetheless. Glad you are here to enjoy it Sherry!!

Love.....

Mary Jo

StephN 07-29-2010 09:52 PM

Trouble with teens must be going around. My friend says her sons are just turning into lumps of lard and won't help her.

You seem to have a little more spunk about dealing with it. Keep up the good work and poke them whenever they need it!

Ellie F 07-30-2010 03:25 AM

Hi Sherry
It's really good sometimes just to know that life goes on despite bc. My son is soon to start his final year at university and I drive him nuts telling him to work really hard to get a good degree.He is bright but so laid back (or lazy??). I remember one of his teachers who was always stressed out telling me that being a bit laid back is no bad thing in the long run.I have never been 'laid back' about anything and often wonder if the constant tension and stress was a factor in my bc.
Ellie

Jackie07 07-30-2010 07:38 AM

Ellie,

I'm the most 'laid back' person you'll ever met. I have the same bc as you do. So 'relax' :) 'Getting cancer' has nothing to do with our personality or motivation.

I did everything else (choir, basketball, volunteer work at youth counseling center, etc)except studying hard in college. After another two years of 'searching', I entered graduate school and got myself a 'shining' transcript. It helped me to land jobs, although illness always set me back.

I think the constant 'nagging' from my Mother helped... :)

ammebarb 07-30-2010 07:39 AM

Absolutely loved your post.....reminded me of the saying, "Don't fret the small stuff. It's all small stuff!" After facing one's mortality, perspective is very different. Now, if I could just put that perspective to good use on a daily basis! Here's to your being around to irritate them for another 60 or 70 years!

Barb A.

CourtneyL 07-30-2010 10:20 AM

Thank you for continuing to inspire and offer hope, Sherry. Such a great post! Reminds me to continue to be grateful for each and every day. I passed my "expiration date" in April of this year and life has taken on new meaning - every day is a bonus. Sometimes I get tired and complain, and then I remember what a blessing it is to just be alive. Thank you for that reminder. Long may you be able to irritate your children!

SusanV 07-30-2010 11:38 AM

BRAVO !!! - Life is Good

Joan M 07-30-2010 02:58 PM

Sherry,

Try not to worry ... Bill Gates was a Harvard dropout.

Hope you have more irritating moments ... and of course some great ones.

Joan

Adriana Mangus 07-30-2010 09:45 PM

Dear Sherry,

Yes, there is Hope.

You are so fortunate to have witnessed your children grow up and become young adults even though sometimes they are mouthy and don't understand us parents,-- that we only want the best for them.

Hopefully you will be NED the rest of your life.

Love,

Adriana

Terri B 08-02-2010 10:22 AM

Great post Sherry!

I'm always, ALWAYS worrying about my kids. It doesn't do a damn bit of good and as a matter of fact, the worrying will not change the outcome of the situation anyway!

Thank you for reminding me! ☺♥

StephN 08-02-2010 11:24 AM

Forgot to mention, Sherry, that when the kids do get to you just go whack a few tennis balls around. Just like you whipped cancer in to shape, you can manage with your offspring!

Missyw 08-03-2010 05:59 AM

Hi Sherry,

Your post made me laugh (and cry!) My son just graduated from high school and has been having a great time this summer. Me, not having such a great time with the late nights and "goofing off". I have been nagging him about "buckling down" for college in the fall. He is pretty much ignoring me.

Your post came at a perfect time. I am so blessed to be here for all these milestones; over 4 years since my diagnosis. I too am stage IV, but doing great. My daughter is a sophmore in high school, so I still have lots of nagging to do. Thank you for reminding me how lucky I am!!

Sheila 08-04-2010 06:09 AM

Sherry...only those who have walked in our shoes would be thankful for mouthy teenagers...loved your post, it gave the things I am thankful list a whole new perspective!!!!