HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   taxotere - iron band on chest? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45926)

Delaney 07-11-2010 01:57 PM

taxotere - iron band on chest?

Have had just 2 treatments of taxotere. My chest feels like there is an iron band wrapped tightly around it. Is this a normal side effect? Will this get worse as the treatments go on and has anyone any advice on how to ease it? I admire all the people who survived this particular chemo drug, its a tough one.

Rich66 07-11-2010 02:01 PM

Re: taxotere - iron band on chest?

Have you reported this to your onc nurse or staff?

Emelie B 07-11-2010 02:05 PM

Hi Delaney,
I had very bad rib pain while on was on Herceptin and Taxotere. They hurt so bad that we took x-rays of them to make sure there was no mets. I would say something to your nurse/onc as soon as you can.
Hope it gets better soon and hang in there,
Emelie

tricia keegan 07-11-2010 03:08 PM

Hi Delaney,

I had taxol which is of course similar, but did'nt experience this feeling at all. I'd agree with the other poster's to mention it, just in case it's an allergic reaction. x

karen z 07-11-2010 03:23 PM

Hi. I, too, had taxol but didn't experience this feeling. I agree with other members who suggest discussing this with your team.

Rich66 07-11-2010 03:33 PM

Chelee had a lung reaction to this, maybe she can share what it felt like.

Chelee 07-11-2010 05:02 PM

Delaney, I had the same feeling when I did Taxotere. I can only explain it like I had this tightness straight across my chest...it was very uncomfortable. Both sides where my ribs were bothered me too. I told my onc and my bc surgeon and no one seemed concerned. They just told me it was due to the surgery (mastectomy) I had prior mixed with the reaction of the chemo hitting those areas. I didn't know what to think but it made me misrable. You asked if it will get worse...mine stayed about the same all thur each cycle and it did go away a couple months after I finished.

But always make sure your onc is aware of any side affects you experience. We all react differently. Taxotere can be a rough chemo but it does do the job and kicks butt. Hang in there.

Chelee

Pam P 07-11-2010 06:20 PM

Does the tightness in your chest include shortness of breath? If so you might have developed pleural effustions from the taxotere. Yes, do investigate the symptoms with your onc. I had pleural effusions from the taxotere and it was very miserable.

BonnieR 07-11-2010 10:22 PM

Not to overly alarm you but it could be a cardiac issue too. I hope you are in touch with a doctor asap.

Delaney 07-12-2010 03:11 AM

thanks all for replying. The community nurse is visiting me today to take out the port stitches, I will mention it to her.Have no breathing problems and can still do housework, go walking, etc (in between sleeping, sleeping and sleeping!). Thanks so much.

Ellie F 07-12-2010 03:30 AM

Hi Delaney
I had tightness and severe rib pain whilst on taxotere and herceptin. It took some time after completing the course to resolve. At times it was so bad I thought I had rib mets.

Ellie