HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Can I have a Herceptin infusion two weeks after another instead of three? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44018)

bejuce 03-02-2010 01:19 PM

Can I have a Herceptin infusion two weeks after another instead of three?

Hi everyone,

I just booked a trip to NJ to visit my brother and his family over Easter break without realizing that I had a Herceptin infusion that week.

I'm hoping to change my appt for the week before, which would mean a two-week interval between two infusions. Has anyone done this before? Is it better to have them two-weeks apart or four-weeks apart? Why do we do them in three-week intervals anyways?

Thanks!!!

Marcia

alicem 03-02-2010 01:51 PM

Re: Can I have a Herceptin infusion two weeks after another instead of three?

Hi Marcia,

I had to do this as well. You have the treatments 3 weeks apart because it is a triple dose of herceptin. I needed to adjust my schedule and the oncologist gave me a double dose once, and then I came back after just two weeks. Then he gave me a triple dose again and I was back on schedule. Hope your oncologist is just as flexible!

Have a blessed Easter and a wonderful trip!!

Alice

Rich66 03-02-2010 01:53 PM

I just watched a video presentation by Dr. Larry Norton of MSK where he mentioned a movement towards more frequent dosing of chemo as well as targeted agents like Herceptin and Tykerb. You could be ahead of the curve.

ElaineM 03-02-2010 03:46 PM

I don't see why not if your oncologist can adjust your dose to reflex the temporary change in your schedule.
Enjoy the trip. Take care.

v-ness 03-02-2010 04:59 PM

it's no problem, you can do it. i had a flight booked to utah for february 3/11 and somehow they squeezed 3 herceptin infusions between 1/21 and 2/1. on the last one i had it on a thursday, then the following monday! i'm sure they're used to jockeying infusions around for people's schedules. valerie

Sheila 03-02-2010 05:52 PM

Marcia
I have done this more than once and never had a problem!

flynny 03-03-2010 08:03 AM

I'm pretty sure I did this same thing and it was no problem. I figure the extra dosage would be a good thing!

chrisy 03-03-2010 08:45 AM

I've done it too - it's so good to have doctors who "get it" that the whole reason we do this is to have a life.

You probably will get a dose reduction, so instead of getting a 3 week dose, you get a 2 week dose.

Colleen007 03-03-2010 10:30 AM

My oncologist told me that they only do it in weekly doses and 3 week doses. So, whenever I go away, I do the weekly doses for a couple of weeks and then the week before I go away, I get the 3 week dose (which carries me through my whole vacation). This works for me since I am at the Cancer Center for Navelbine 3 out of 4 weeks a month anyway...Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

bejuce 03-13-2010 01:44 PM

Thank you all who responded. My oncologist's nurse called me back yesterday and told me that they'll be able to put me on a weekly schedule for the next 3 weeks (like Colleen07) so I'll be able to go on my trip.

Can't wait to enjoy NYC in the Spring with the kids!

Have a great weekend,

Marcia