HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hair Issues (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43835)

Brenda S 02-19-2010 06:00 AM

Hair Issues

At the risk of sounding rather silly, I have a question about my hair. After completing the chemo regimen detailed in my profile my hair has still not fully returned. I lost it all during chemo. Ithas come back very thin and wispy. I think is is thinning more now. I've been off chemo for about a year and off Herceptin since May. Any suggestions folks? Thanks

juanita 02-19-2010 10:51 AM

Re: Hair Issues

wow it didn't take my hair that long to come back in. are you taking anything else that might be causing it?

Brenda S 02-19-2010 10:56 AM

Juanita,
I'm not taking anything other than some herbal suuplements--fish oil, olive oil and Vitamin D.
Brenda

juanita 02-19-2010 11:00 AM

hopefully one of the others will have a suggestion when they see this. sorry i can't help! good luck!

Becky 02-19-2010 12:02 PM

My hair was very slow to return all over. I worried because female hair loss runs in my family (after menopause) and I was young and firmly in chemopause and had a scheduled ooph to boot.

It did end up coming back okay. It is not as thick as before but it covers my head nicely with no bald or very thin areas. I keep it on the shorter side now cuz I think it would look too straggly if long.

Does menopausal female hair loss run in your family? It might and the chemo hair loss may have accelerated the event. See a dermatologist and see if a Rogaine type product may help you out. It helps my mom alot (a bc survivor who did not need chemo but is on Arimidex which would make her postmenopausal hair loss worse - if you saw her after a Rogaine type product you'd never know there were some bare spots).

I am just thinking out loud here but you might have something else going on.

Hopeful 02-19-2010 12:18 PM

Brenda,

You are not alone. There was an abstract and a poster on this subject presented at the San Antonio Breast Conference in December 2009: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...eferrerid=1173

Hopeful

Jackie07 02-19-2010 10:41 PM

Brenda,

Ever since my first breast cancer surgery and chemo in 2003, I've been wearing a wig in the 'professional' or 'formal' setting. My hair has thined even more after another 6 doses of chemo in 2007. Part of the reason could be genetic - my father's hair has been very, very thin as far back as I could remember (I was born when he was 45)

I've got many compliment on my hair - people who haven't seen me for a while would say very nice thing about my 'hair'. I would then let my friends know that it is a wig. [Probably should follow my late Mother-in-law's advice: "Just say 'Thank you.'"

I use a very thin, small silk hankerchief inside of the wig. Silk absorbs oil and moisture very well and I have very, very oily skin.

karen z 02-20-2010 10:36 AM

Hi Brenda,
I agree with Becky that you should see a dermatologist and, preferably, one that specializes in hair loss. Many women normally experience hair thinning as they get older and, as Becky said, if menopausal hair loss runs in your family you may experience more thinning than "typical". Rogaine type products can be very successful for women so I would not delay getting a consultation with a dermatologist as well as letting your internist and oncologist know you are doing that.
Best wishes,
Karen

'lizbeth 02-20-2010 12:16 PM

Brenda,

I feel your pain. My hair grew in very fine, but good coverage in the back. The very front and temples the hair was sparse. Used to having extremely thick hair, it distressed me.

In the last few months the curls all grew out and it was very straight and baby fine. I started Rogaine for women Christmas eve and I see all sorts of tiny fine hairs coming in on the side that was the thinnest. I just bought it off the shelf $35 for a 3 month supply.

It did seem that it got thinner too. I do know that hairs fall out before others replace them. Maybe thicker hairs are on the way!

I finished Taxotere 9/08 and it has taken a long time to get to where I feel more comfortable with my slowly thickening hair. A watched pot never boils, lol.

Good luck,

Elizabeth

karen z 02-20-2010 01:09 PM

To Brenda and Elizabeth,
The products you can obtain from a dermatologist will generally be "stronger" than those you can obtain over the counter (particularly the women's over the counter products). Plus, some dermatologists may suggest that you be on more than one product (e.g., one to prevent further loss, another for new growth). Also, a dermatologist can make sure than you will not be given a product that might include hormones you should not have .

Barbara2 02-21-2010 03:44 PM

Big changes here, too. Used to have very thick naural curly hair. I would estimate that only 1/2 of the hair came back, and it is quite straight. So different than what I had been used to. Actually I don't mind the new look, as thick curyly hair can be hard to magage, too. It's just a big adjustment. There is one area in the back...maybe it is colic...but I try to keep that area covered (by combing) so there is not a crooked bare spot in that place!

Brenda S 02-22-2010 06:30 AM

Thanks Ladies, I appreciate all of your advice!

BonnieR 02-22-2010 12:20 PM

mine is much thinner now. Just glad to have it! lol

Nancy L 02-22-2010 02:25 PM

I posted "Chemotherapy Permanent Hair Loss" in the Her2group thread a number of months ago. You may want to search and read the replies. I have since connected with other women around the world who have experienced permanent hair loss after taking Taxotere. It is not common but Dr. Slamon confirmed for me that it does happen. If anyone from this site wants to connect with others with this problem, please visit http://www.aheadofourtime.org/. Although I am not happy about it, at least I know that it is permanent and can move on from there.

I sincerely hope you have a different long term outcome than me.

'lizbeth 02-24-2010 04:50 PM

I was at group accupunture yesterday and as usual the hair discussion started. One friend went to dermatology and she tried the men's strength minoxidil and had no luck. Another friend tried laser to stimulate hair growth on her scalp. She said the thinness wasn't chemo related.

Mine is growing in slightly with the Women's Rogaine. And I have a self-hypnosis that helps with image problems with "disfigurement". Both helped.

But I looked better with the wig, lol.

hutchibk 02-24-2010 11:55 PM

Perhaps try Nioxin Follicle Booster scalp treatment, twice a day it recommends... it has helped me grow mine back faster the 3 times I have had to, and now on Tykerb (which makes it very thin) it helps it come in just a little bit thicker.

SoCalGal 02-25-2010 12:29 AM

hot topic...my hair used to be soft curls. Now it's straight and thin. Didn't know it was another lovely Tykerb benefit. I'm going to try the scalp treatments and see if it gets me more hair:) My eyebrows are also very thin.