HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   This wk things could change, I'm nervous. (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43484)

Chelee 01-24-2010 04:45 PM

This wk things could change, I'm nervous.

Monday morning (tomorrow) is chemo, & this Wed. I have my first PET/CT since my recurrence in Sept. 09. Due to my femur surgery I was "only" on Herceptin & Zometa from Sept. thur Nov. It wasn't till Dec. that we added Navelbine. I sure hope my scans show this is working? Adding the Navelbine so late in the game concerns me. Especially since my onc reduced the dose each wk instead of giving me Neupogen. (I'll be asking her why she did that?!)

Now that I've changed insurance I will be running out to see Dr. Slamon again if this isn't working. I'm still concerned after my last PET/CT because they weren't sure if it was in my liver or not? PET showed low activity...but CT showed nothing in liver? But that area has pain so I can't help but worry. It's bad enough it showed up in bones and axilla last time...I hope this Herceptin/Navelbine/Zometa has done it's job...especially since it's easy to tolerate. I sure have alot of anxiety thinking about my upcoming scan.

Once stage IV is it normal to choose the easier combo's first then to hit it hard?

Chelee

freyja 01-24-2010 05:01 PM

Re: This wk things could change, I'm nervous.

Chelee,
I know this is scary, but it's so good that you get to gather more information, information is power...and I'm so glad you got your new insurance! Now you'll be armed and ready to do whatever you need to do. I'll be watching for news. B R E A T H E ...

Rich66 01-24-2010 05:37 PM

Have you told them you feel pain in the liver area?
It might be worth making sure they do a liver function test (LFT) when they draw labs. It's not automatically done.
In terms of knowing whether things did the job, make sure schedule disruptions are factored in before abandoning Navelbine. You know.."leave no tool behind". (unless you're talking about exes)
How often are you getting Zometa? There is some interesting info on getting more than just bone met utility out of Vitamin Z:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39563

WolverineFan 01-24-2010 06:46 PM

Chelee,

Please know you continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted on your scans.

Yorkiegirl 01-24-2010 07:16 PM

Rich wrote:Have you told them you feel pain in the liver area?
It might be worth making sure they do a liver function test (LFT) when they draw labs. It's not automatically done.

Rich I know when ever I had blood work done this was always done, a complete CMP Panel that included the Liver panel.
I still to this day have it done when I see my Onc every 4 months.

Chelee praying that all turns out well on your PET/CT Scan.

Chelee 01-24-2010 08:23 PM

Rich, my labs always include a CBC, CMP, & CA29.27. All my numbers have been in normal range. In the past I've had them go up and back down a little...but nothing too worrisome. But lately they have been great. I do have a seroma in that area that has gotten really hard after 4 yrs...so maybe the pain is coming from that?

I've mentioned this pain to my onc so many times it's ridiculous. She just doesn't seem concerned. But the pain is worse now then it's ever been...it's constant. I should get my PET/CT results back by Friday & I'll go from there. Hopefully this combo is working, & if not I will go out to see what Dr. Slamon has to say?

I just checked my calendar & the first time I got my Zometa it was seven wks apart...now this time it will be eight? (Not sure why my onc did that?)

Good point about the "disruptions & Navelbine". Point well taken...thank you. Also thanks for the link on Zometa...I have some reading to do. :) Although I've done quite a bit of research on it before. I was always pushing my onc to let me have it long before my bone mets in hopes to prevent them...but she always had an excuse not to give it to me. (It's called keeping the costs down.) Now because I have mets...she has no choice.

Chelee

Margerie 01-24-2010 09:16 PM

You keep fighting girl!! Thinking of you this week during scanxiety and beyond. Hope all the news is good, all the side effects are minimal and all the cancer-butt-kicking goes into overdrive.

Paty 01-24-2010 09:45 PM

Chelee,

I will be praying for you and will keep my fingers crossed for good results. All my love,

Paty

Sherryg683 01-24-2010 11:18 PM

Thinking of you as you get your scans done. Pain in the liver area doesn't necessarily mean anything. I had and occaisionally have pain in that area and theres nothing. My brothers whole liver was eaten up with cancer and he never did have any pain in that area, so who knows. I am glad you got new insurance, maybe things will go smoother now...sherry

vlcarr 01-25-2010 12:12 AM

Chelee,

Will be sending positive thoughts your way and keeping you in my prayers.

Vicky

Chelee 01-25-2010 01:18 AM

Sherry, It's a bit of relief to hear your liver pain turned out to be nothing. I'll just keep taking one day at a time.

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts and support...much appreciated.

Chelee

Ellie F 01-25-2010 05:05 AM

Hi Chelee
Thinking of you and BIG hopes that your scans show BIG improvement. Glad you have new insurance and that you are determined to go back to see Dr Slamon.Getting a second opinion was one of the best things I did (and would do again even in I have to come across the pond!!)
Ellie

schoolteacher 01-25-2010 07:17 AM

Chelee,

Hope you scans go well today. Will be praying for you.

Amelia

loveher 01-25-2010 07:24 AM

good luck Chelee! im thinking of you <3

schoolteacher 01-25-2010 07:59 AM

Chelee,

I want to thank you and Becky for the links. I have now learned that caffeine can raise your markers. I have been drinking a lot of green tea. I drank so much Friday my eye started twitching.

Do you think it could raise the HER2 serum test also?

Amelia

Shobha 01-25-2010 09:44 AM

Chelee,

You are in my prayers and thoughts!

hugs,
shobha

Lori R 01-25-2010 10:24 AM

Chelee,
Thinking of you...As a liver mets gal, I had pain long before my met. I think it is a function of the medications we take and not necessarily the sign of a recurrance. If you markers are looking good that is a great sign and of course a back up by meeting with one of the best Drs. in the country is also a GREAT approach.

You go girl....

I too have wondered about approaches...load up on the chemo and kill the beast or slowly wear him down. Not certain which approach is best. Hopefully, Dr Slamon will have some thoughts in that regard.

Praying for a clean scan for you....Love...Lori

Ellie F 01-25-2010 12:37 PM

Hi Lori
I think you have hit on a really good point, Is a high dose best or is metronomic treatment the way forward. I know Rich has posted about this approach and there seems to be some positive results from xeloda and tykerb used in this way.
There seems to be a consensus that in about 5 years we will have wide range of targeted treatments that may not kill the beast for good but may keep him in his cage till the cure!
Hugs
Ellie

ElaineM 01-25-2010 03:44 PM

If the scans don't show any cancer in your abdomen you might want to ask for an ultra sound of your abdomen.
Sometimes we get other health problems. I had some discomfort in the area where my liver and gall bladder are located. The naturopath did some testing and told me my gall bladder was "stressed". I asked for and got an ultra sound of my abdomen. My gall bladder was full of gall stones. I avoided surgery by taking some medicine the naturopath prescribed to dissolve gall stones. It took a couple months to resolve the problem, but my gall bladder is better and I avoided major surgery with general anethesia which I hate.

Jackie07 01-25-2010 08:17 PM

Chelee,

You go girl! (You 'rock'! :)

I'll be thinking of you.