HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Taxol/Herceptin side effects? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41163)

whatz 09-21-2009 11:54 AM

Taxol/Herceptin side effects?

Curious now. I'm currently on weekly Taxol/Herceptin. I had my third does last week. For the last couple of days I seem to have "random" aches (not strong to be classified as pain) all over with one persistant ache below my right ribs (opposite original cancer). They come and go. Since yesterday both of my hands are slightly swollen (looks like fluid retention). Is this due to the chemo or should I get this checked? Anybody else experience similar?

Jean 09-21-2009 07:00 PM

Re: Taxol/Herceptin side effects?

The joint aches and pains are common with taxol. The swelling can be a side effect of the steroids that are used with the treatment. Are you flusing your system by drinking enough water. If the swelling continues I would give the onc. a call and check in.

Best Wishes,
jean

Chelee 09-21-2009 10:27 PM

The Taxol is no doubt the cause of your aches & pains as Jean already said. I know I hurt all over...some days were worse then others. I also had rib pain on both sides...that was a constant complaint I had for my oncologist. So I assume it too was from the Taxotere. (Both Taxol & Taxotere are members of the same family of drugs known as Taxanes)

As to the swelling Jean is right...it can be caused from the steriods. But I know it can also be caused from the chemo. I started having serious edema in my lower legs, ankles and feet. (Hands too.) It didn't start happening until about my 4th infusion. The swelling in my lower legs were so bad they ran dopplers on them...all was fine. My pulmonary doc put me on Lasix which was a relief. Everyones body reacts differently so it's always hard to nail it on one thing. But I bet its from your Taxol. But always mention these things to your oncologist just to make sure all is ok. But those are pretty common problems when on steriods & Taxol. Hang in there.

Chelee

whatz 09-22-2009 04:24 AM

Thanks ya'll :-). I kinda figured it was. Just feels better asking somebody that's already been thru :-). I will ask my onc but am now thinking I can wait on this until next week when I actually have an appt. with her (I don't see her every week, even though I'm there every week due to the Taxol/Hercepting treatment)

Sheila 09-22-2009 05:04 PM

I can relate to the pains...I was on Taxol / Herceptin for 2 years...i blamed most on the steroids....along with the sleeplessness, the weight gain, the round face....and the red face the day after treatment. I didn't have the fluid, but a little Lasix would get rid of that, I am guessing just your body's reaction. Ask the Dr for a script, so you can take it as needed...but remember to eat bananas and drink orange juice to replenish the potassium if you take the Lasix!!!

whatz 01-06-2010 08:10 AM

Hej all,
Coming back to this thread. I'm off the Taxol since mid December and fluid retention is back to normal. I'm now on the every 3 week Herceptin regiment (had my second infusion last week). I ache all over my body when I get to sitting still for a while (i.e. working). Feels like I had a major workout and everything is stiff and complaining about too much but yet I haven't worked out. Have ya'll experienced that too? It almost seems to be related to Herceptin since it was really bad over the weekend and has slowly somewhat subsided (not enough to take an anti-inflammatory but sure was considering it at one point). I haven't asked my onc nurse yet, just trolling around here to see if others experience the same.

Ellie F 01-06-2010 08:47 AM

Hi
I had all those symptoms when having the same combo. I stopped it in August and it has only just settled down. I still have to be careful about sitting/standing positions so as not to flare it up again but it is 100% improved.
Ellie

whatz 01-06-2010 09:22 AM

Thanks Ellie. I thought it came with the territory but it sure helps to know others experience the exact same :-) and puts some paranoid fears to rest.