HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Stg II, lumpectomy vs mastect (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40688)

harrie 08-08-2009 03:58 PM

Stg II, lumpectomy vs mastect

I am inquiring for a friend.

With a stage II, 3.5 cm tumor, which do you think would be more commonly advised: lumpectomy or mastectomy?

Westcoastgirl 08-08-2009 05:40 PM

Re: Stg II, lumpectomy vs mastect

Gee wizz, what a difficult decision. I have met many women with a similar diagnosis to your friend. They have had lumpectomies, had great results and are many years out without complications. All I know is that I could have had a lumpectomy because my tumor was less than 1cm but because I was high grade and Her2 the surgeon talked me into a mastectomy. I thought if I had a mastectomy I would be able to miss out on radiation. Well after the operation the pathologist discovered a surprise; another tumor and they did not get good margins, thus I am doing radiation. My point is that if I had opted for a lumpectomy I would have been back with bc again in another year or so. I am glad I opted for mastectomy. Probably not much help but it is my experience.

Becky 08-08-2009 06:05 PM

I had lumpectomy but I had a stage 1 size tumor (under 2cm). I was stage 2 because of one positive node.

I think if my tumor was larger, I may have had masectomy but then, I did what the doctors said more than I do now.

Debbie L. 08-08-2009 07:10 PM

With that size tumor, they'll probably suggest or at least offer the option of neoadjuvant chemo. If that shrinks the tumor, she'll be eligible for lumpectomy. The survival stats for mastectomy vs. lumpectomy are pretty close. There are more local recurrences after lumpectomy, especially in younger women, but that doesn't seem to change survival. All other things being equal (if the details of her cancer make her eligible for either option), it becomes a very personal decision with no single right answer.

Make sure that your friend understands her options, and that she does not feel rushed or pressured to make a quick decision. If she gets conflicting information or recommendations, then encourage yet another opinion.

One other thing about neoadjuvant chemo is that it does give her oodles of time to contemplate and research her surgical options.

Debbie Laxague

Mary Jo 08-08-2009 07:28 PM

My tumor was a bit larger harrie....4 cm. One oncologist recommeded neoadjuvent chemo to shrink the tumor and then have surgery. However, after an MRI showed another suspicious area in the breast I wasn't comfortable with waiting to do surgery. That oncologist (not the one I stayed with) felt that the "suspicious area was no big deal (probably a DCIS in his opinion) and still felt that neoadjuvent chemo was the way to go (in his opinion ... "I was only 45 years old"...."why would I want to lose my breast"....my response to that is - you are a man - what would you know about it from my perspective anyway) So, it was on to another hospital (an academic hospital this time) and a new surgeon and new oncologist. This surgeon said yes, I could do neoadjuvent if I was comfortable with that but I was not. I wanted surgery first. Because of the area of my tumor and the size a mastectomy was what was recommended. Too much of my breast and nipple would have been gone. I agreed to that and honestly, truly, wouldn't have wanted anything other than a mastectomy. My breast was removed and clean margins were obtained and I did have 1 sent. node with 1 microscopic cell of invastion.

I guess I shared way more information than you needed....oops. Well, anyway, I hope it helped.

Mary Jo

harrie 08-08-2009 11:00 PM

Oh yes....all your inputs really helped and MaryJo, that was not too much info. we are all getting together tomorrow and she will meet 2 of my other friends how have had their bc experiences within the past few yrs and they are all about the same age....43 yrs old.

whatz 08-10-2009 04:35 AM

I'm stage I. I chose masectomy for two reasons:
1. small breast and according to surgeon because of size of tumor (2cm) lumpectomy would have been disfiguring anyway

2. more importantly: I would have had to have radiation and due to placement of tumor according to surgeon possibly would have also impacted lungs with radiation.

Word of advice: I opted for immediate reconstruction since I thought that was easier on my body (one less procedure) but the breast MRI wasn't done prior to surgery. Now due to magnetic port of expander can't be done until I'm done with surgery. Make sure all MRI testing is done prior to you getting a magnetic port expander. I didn't know this ahead of time.