HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Zometa question (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40653)

Westcoastgirl 08-05-2009 10:21 AM

Zometa question

Here I am again asking for your help in making my mind up. As you know I wrote to tell you of my recent diagnosis of osteoporosis. For some of us it must feel like all of this is getting old. Every time we go to the dr there is something new for them to tell us. Last week it was Osteoporosis, today I go as there is something suspicious with the ultrasound of my ovaries.....but that is another story yet to unfold. Today I am asking about Zometa. My onc and my family dr both recommended it as it does work for osteoporosis and in recent studies it reduced the incidences of bc recurrence to the bones quite significantly. My onc and family dr have both suggested Zometa. I know that there is the med called Forteo but the difference in cost is beyond huge. My dr's and my reading both suggest that if Zometa does not work for me that Forteo will still work but perhaps not at the same level if I had not taken Zometa. I can live with that but have also been told here at this site that Forteo (Parathyroid Hormone) will not work at all if I have done Zometa so I am frightened that I am shutting the door for myself. I often think you gals are far more up on what is out there than my dr's so before I "submit" to Zometa this coming Monday I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks, yet again, Carolyn

sassy 08-05-2009 08:08 PM

Re: Zometa question

Hey Carolyn,

I have taken Zometa annually since 2006 and I have had an increase in bone density after an initial loss prior to Zometa. Only the first infusion caused any problems, flu like symptoms for a day or so.

I will be switching to twice a year infusion next month, following the study released last December at ASCO.

Zometa has been beneficial for me and it has the added benefit of reduced incidence of recurrance.

My best to you,

Westcoastgirl 08-06-2009 06:24 AM

Hi Rhonda,
Thanks for responding. This osteoporosis diagnosis has thrown me for a loop. I have bought the Zometa and go this Monday for the first infusion. The onc has suggested two times a year. I was so afraid that if I take my aromatase inhibitors the Zometa will be fighting a losing battle. You have given me much hope. Thank you.

robind 08-06-2009 06:07 PM

I have osteopenia and osteoporosis (mild) but the fosamax and then boniva along with taking additional daily calcium didn't do very much. My oncologist and primary doctor both felt the Zometa was the way to go. I was at first quite reluctant but did my research. I take Femara - I was reluctant with that as well. Anyway, I will have Zometa for 3 years, 2x a year. Had my first infusion and next in Sept. I will say this. A friend of a friend who had bone mets recently had a bone scan. She had had holes throughout. She's been on Zometa for over a year. Her scan came back...there are no longer any holes in any of her bones. I personally think that is amazing and awesome news.
Hope this helps. Best to all, Robin D