HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Anybody did surgery for mediastinal lymphnodes? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40412)

Julie2 07-13-2009 03:03 PM

Anybody did surgery for mediastinal lymphnodes?

I recurred the 3rd time in the same mediastinal lymph nodes. I am just wondering if anybody had surgery for these nodes and how effective and how difficult it is.
Ofourse my oncologist doesn't recommend surgery but I still want to explore my options.

Thanks,
Julie

Rich66 07-15-2009 12:19 AM

I think the original surgeon who dx my mom talked about going after these nodes for biopsy but others after said they "don't do that anymore". A different scenario, but I mention it in the sense that they apparently used to do the surgery for biospy sake. So..maybe it makes sense in some cases for recurrence?? It sounded like a pretty invasive surgery.

Colleen007 07-15-2009 09:27 AM

Hi Julie...reading your signature, I was also diagnosed when pregnant with my 2nd child (October 2005)...and her name is Julie!

I had my mediastinal nodes "light up" and Navelbine got rid of them in 3 months. I stayed on the Navelbine for 3 more months for good measure and then stopped all but Herceptin since there was no evidence of disease on my scans. 3 months on Herceptin alone and those nodes lit up again. So, I went back on Navelbine (added to the Herceptin that was never stopped since I am metastatic and have been from my initial diagnosis) and have been on it now for 2+ years (and my scans continue to show no evidence of disease). The reason I stay on the Navelbine is that the last time I stopped it, the scans lit up and that is what we are trying to avoid happening again.

pattyz 07-22-2009 09:02 AM

Julie,

My first order of recurrance was in my mediastinal nodes. Being 2 and a half yrs from dx, my new onc asked if I wanted to have it biopsied. Asked me. When I said yes, he said "you;ll have a scar." Isn't that cute?? As if.....

It was extremely close to my heart, being the aortic window node that was big enough to get a decent sample from. But still to close ie: dangerous, for total removal.

Still enough for all the stats and I'm glad for that. Didn't know I was Her2+++ for example.

Anywho, to attend to your question more indepth: The combo of Navelbine/Herceptin cleared all up within 12 wks. I then stopped the treatment. Just kept watch and focused on my brain mets.

Very best wishes to you,
pattyz

Darlene Denise 07-22-2009 06:22 PM

surgery for mediastinal lymphnodes?

Julie: Do you live anywhere near a facility that has Cyberknife? It can be used for your situation. Don't ask your onc or even a rad onc if they do not use the Cyberknife. The treatments they are giving are novel and still emerging with this device and the only way to know for sure if it is an option is to consult with a Cyberknife rad onc.

Check on www.accuray.com for a location that would be nearest to you.

Good luck!!
Darlene