HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Herceptin/Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40345)

vlcarr 07-07-2009 09:35 PM

Herceptin/Tykerb

I'm a new member and was recently diagnosed with Her2, not hormone receptive, Stage II. I'm still learning a lot and not familiar with all the terms I've read. I'm doing a clinical trail at Vanderbilt and started Herceptin/Tykerb 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I had surgery to get the port, lymph node biopsy and another breast biopsy (part of the trail). During surgery they did an ultrasound and it showed the tumor is shrinking!! This was great news after only 2 weeks. I have 2 tumors that are possibly one big tumor but don't that yet for sure. I will find out the results of the lymph node biopsy in 5 to 7 days but was so excited that the tumor is shrinking--I needed some good news. This is a great group and I'm so happy I found it--thank you all for sharing your stories and providing hope to all of us.

jml 07-08-2009 10:09 AM

Hi~
Welcome to our little family, but as we always say, wish we could have met under different circumstances.
Thank you for sharing your wonderful news! Celebrate! You deserve it! The first phases of diagnosis, surgery and treament are so stressful, frightening & chaotic. I truly believe a positive response to treatment for any one of us is a victory for ALL of us.
Please keep us posted about the lymph node bx (biopsy) results. Keep in mind, even if you do have disease in the node(s), it too is shrinking, shrinking, shrinking away like the primary tumor!

I'm so encouraged by your response to Tykerb/Herceptin and will be anxiously looking for more news about this combo. I've recently switched from Herceptin (+various chemos) to Tykerb +Xeloda, as it seems I had become desensitized to herceptin. I'm hoping to be able to drop the Xeloda & switch back to Herceptin with my Tykerb.

Welcome again. You'll find much support, compassion, wisdom, guidance and a soft place to fall when you need it or a swift kick of encouragement, if that's in order!

Keep the Faith~

Jml

Jackie07 07-08-2009 08:44 PM

What wonderful news! Glad your tumors are shrinking already.

There is a 'long-time survivors' thread you might want to read (use the 'search' button on the gold bar on top of the board)first.

ElaineM 07-08-2009 09:18 PM

Herceptin/Tykerb

Wow !!!!!! That is really good news !!!!!! Keep up the good work.

Nancy L 07-09-2009 04:17 PM

Glad you are experiencing positive results so quickly. I too am on Herceptin/Tykerb. So far so good. Let's keep in touch.

Hugs, Nancy L

vlcarr 07-20-2009 08:56 PM

Tumor continues to shrink

My tumor that started out at 8cm is now 5x3 cm after 4 weeks of herceptin/tykerb. I've been feeling really fatigued the past 2 weeks and labs showed my potassium was really low so I had a drip that took 2 hours last week plus potassium pills I take twice a day. They said the drugs can cause that but I also take a water pill for my b/p so they had me discontinue that but I still take my other b/p pill. Has anyone experienced this potassium problem? It was amazing how much better I've felt after getting the drip. Didn't feel too well today but still better than I had been. They will check my levels again this Thursday (treatment day). I haven't had the rash I've seen many have talked about but did develop sores in my mouth. I'm using a mouth rinse called Prevention which was impossibile to find in Nashville. My local Walgreens did order it for me. The doctor also gave me some mouthwash the pharmacy labeled "majic mouthwash" which numbs your entire mouth. It's not fun but it does help with the pain. The sores seem to be getting better but I have to be careful what I eat-definitely no citrus.

vlcarr 07-20-2009 09:01 PM

Lymph Nodes

Forgot to post that they did find a speck of cancer in my lymph nodes so I will have those removed when I have the mastectomy the middle of September. I do the trail for 3 months, then surgery. I am scared about the surgery but am trying to take this one day at a time.

Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement

CourtneyL 07-28-2009 05:14 PM

Re: Herceptin/Tykerb

It is a great sign that you are responding so well to the Herceptin/Tykerb! That tumor doesn't stand a chance! Thinking of you and sending prayers your way!

hutchibk 07-28-2009 10:09 PM

Re: Herceptin/Tykerb

Fantastic news about your success in the trial. Try not to be too afraid of the surgery... I had not been in the hospital since I was born (a looonnng time) when I had my mastectomy and reconstruction, so I was pretty apprehensive, too... but all went really well. Just follow your surgeons orders to the T when you get home and you should heal quickly and well. Keep us posted!