HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Interesting Clue in Curcumin Article (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39568)

Tom 05-25-2009 08:20 AM

Interesting Clue in Curcumin Article

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0522181238.htm

I was always as excited about curcumin's cancer fighting properties as my good friend R.B. was about Omega-3, and now there are more hints that it works. The article linked to above, is about curcumin's ability to inhibit the spread of fatty tissue. The interesting side note is found in the caption underneath the photo of turmeric. It is believed that the effect is produced by the inhibition of angiogenesis, or new blood vessel growth. Some time ago my friend's 30 year old brother was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma which had spread to his lungs and brain despite aggressive surgery. Along with his regular treatment, I finally convinced him to take a quality curcumin supplement (not turmeric). I'm sure you all know I used curcumin from www.LEF.org for Mom.

At his follow-up scan his doctors were astonished that his brain mets had disappeared and his lung mets were shrinking. I still believe this is one of the most powerful weapons against all kinds of malignancies.

We now know that curcumin has many mechanisms of action. It promotes apoptosis (programmed cell death), radiosensitzes malignant cells making them more susceptible to radiotherapies, and inhibits angiogenesis, thus cutting off their ability to maintain rapid growth. It doesn't get much better than that.

Prayers for Joy and others that are not faring well these days. May God touch you and heal you all.

Tom

Laurel 05-25-2009 07:25 PM

Tom, why curcumin and not turmeric? How many gms per day?

Tom 05-25-2009 08:14 PM

Curcumin vs. Turmeric

Dear Laurel,

The short answer is that curcumin is the ingredient in turmeric that gives it it's yellow color. It is also the ingredient that has all the great properties for fighting cancer and other diseases. There is not enough curcumin in turmeric to be effective without ingesting huge amounts of turmeric. This is overcome by taking a pure curcumin supplement rather than turmeric itself. I have included a link to the brand of curcumin that I used for my Mom. The article also explains curcumin and it's benefits in great detail. So much for the "short answer" eh? Sorry.

http://search.lef.org/cgi-src-bin/Ms...%20curcumin%20

caya 05-25-2009 09:10 PM

Thanks Tom for this info. So much for the turmeric I've been throwing into my salads and chili dishes. I'll add a daily curcumin supplement to my others starting tomorrow.

all the best
caya

hutchibk 05-25-2009 09:14 PM

How much did your mom and your friend's brother take?

Tom 05-26-2009 07:19 AM

Curcumin Dosages

Dear Brenda,

I apologize for not putting the dosage info in my earlier posts, as I had trouble searching my notes for those details. I believe I was giving my Mom 900mg 3X/day of what was then called Life Extension's Super Curcumin. I was simply adding it to her various foods. Today Life Extension has what seems to be a new product of 800mg that is supposedly much more bioavailable, so you may not need to take as much. When it came to curcumin, I always thought that more was better.

There were questions in the past concerning whether or not to take it during various treatment courses as it is a powerful anti-oxidant, and some treatments work by creating huge amounts of free radicals.

Later research I found, showed that it was not only OK to take during radiation therapy, but was potentially radiosensitizing malignant cells, thereby making the treatment more effective. I can only say that I gave it to Mom before, during, and after her radiotherapy and Herceptin courses.

I suggest you search this website for posts by "Al of Canada" (hope you are well Al) as he was quite involved with the curcumin issue at the time and is a very knowledgeable member.

I do not know how much curcumin my friend's brother with melanoma was taking. I believe his wife and family were quite skeptical about such things early on in his treatment, perhaps because his wife is a physician. I suspect that as the situation became more desperate for him, they explored different options. I can't criticize them, as I was once the world's biggest skeptic of alternative cancer therapies, but saw the light after doing hundreds of hours of reading traditional scientific abstracts on the subject.

Let me not end without first saying again as I always have, that I never underestimated the power of prayer through all of it. I fully believe in my heart that prayer helps not only the patient, but the patient's loved ones as well. I have experienced the raw power of group prayer as well. I don't think it is any coincidence that these plant substances have been placed on Earth, as well as the ever curious minds of researchers and lay people alike.

Sincerely,
Tom

Tom 05-26-2009 07:27 AM

Important Note on Curcumin

I feel I should mention one thing to those of you who might be opening the curcumin capsules to add it to food.

THIS IS THE COLOR MY BEARD WAS FOR ONE WEEK AFTER SPILLING IT DOWN THE FRONT OF ME !

It really stains things, at least organic things like my long beard. It took many washings to get it out. If it hadn't come out soon, I was going to try Grecian Formula. Curcumin could probably be used as a hair dye. I walked around looking like the Easter Bunny until I got it all out, so be careful. Perhaps it was because my beard had turned almost all gray by then, that it took up the color so well.

Mary Jo 05-26-2009 07:50 AM

That is interesting Tom. Thank you for sharing. I, too, take Turmeric and thought they were the same thing - well sort of - Oh well!

Lani 05-26-2009 10:14 AM

Tom, please do not try Grecian formula

If I recall my reading, it was grandfathered in under the Coal and Tar act which protects hair dyes from being regulated by the FDA to be sure they are not carcinogens or otherwise unsafe
It contains lead acetate!!! as I recall--beware!

Rich66 05-27-2009 10:30 PM

I believe there are some issues with former smokers supplementing with Curcumin. See thread in Articls.