HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The Navelbine Journey (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39417)

Sheila 05-15-2009 05:19 AM

The Navelbine Journey

Well, had my 1st treatment of Navelbine with Herceptin Tuesday....so far so good, much quicker than the Taxol, and other than a few muscle pains, no side effects. Of course I had butterflies that morning....do we all get that before a new chemo, just wondering what now? I sat their as it was given IV push, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Waiting to see how my blood counts do with this, considering they held their own in almost 2 years of Taxol. I must say, I dont miss the premeds of Benedryl and Dexamethasone....
Now just hoping this will work on shrinking my nodes as more appeared on the side of my neck....and with the paralysis of the vocal cords, I am sure many are pressing on in the neck and chest. On the bright side, I think I see a few eyebrow hairs trying to come in...and I had to shave my legs 1st time in 1 1/2 years.....WOW Life without Taxol is good.
Thank you all for your continues support on this journey, I am so thankful for each and every day, and like Sherry said, I choose living!!!!

Kathy S in Tokyo 05-15-2009 05:51 AM

I was just laughing at the nose hairs I found while washing my face this morning. Here's hoping the Navelbine kicks butt!

Mary Anne in TX 05-15-2009 07:27 AM

We know we live in a strange world when we celebrate eyebrows appearing and shaving our legs, right?
Sheila and Kathy in T, I think of you two so often! Here's to N & H and AC kicking butt and releasing your voice to "sing" again!
ma

WomanofSteel 05-15-2009 08:32 AM

Sheila, glad to hear you are doing ok with the navelbine. Isn't it funny how we gripe about plucking and shaving, yet are so happy when we have hair to do it with again? I hope that this works for your stubborn nodes. I am going for a bronchoscopy on Thurs to investigate my cough further. The only thing that seems to keep it at bay is prednisone. I hope we find an answer. Meanwhile except for fever and some chills the gemzar is treating me fine. Good luck to you dear and yes it is so much quicker the infusion!

chrisy 05-15-2009 08:40 AM

Sheila,
Hope this new direction does the trick. Taxol did you well for a long time...but I know it has taken it's toll. I swore I would never shave my legs again...but that didn't last.

You say you don't miss the premeds, but you'll feel differently after nobody is cleaning the house at 3am!

Hang in there, warrior sista!

Shobha 05-15-2009 09:21 AM

Shiela,

Lovely to read your post! You know when hair on my legs began to grow again, I told my onc., I want my money back!

hugs,
shobha

alicem 05-15-2009 03:46 PM

Sheila,

I sure hope this new regimen is successful. I want to tell you that you have always had a special place in my heart since I first arrived and just sort of "lurked" for awhile. I found myself pouring over everyone's signature on every single post. I was drawn to yours (especially because of the 49.99999 - - are you sure it wasn't 49.9999999 !). I thought we were very similar in many things such as age, discovery, biopsy, stage, nodes, etc. The one main thing that was different was the year. You had the misfortune to find your cancer before Herceptin was available for early stage BC. I literally grieved when I would read histories such as yours that had turned to stage IV because of this. I know there is still a chance that might happen with me - nothing is certain. But . . . perhaps not . . . because of Herceptin.

I hesitate telling you this because I don't want you taking this the wrong way. I am just so angry at times that this disease even exists, that women like you couldn't have been helped earlier, that so many women are getting it younger and younger, that a cure seems so slow in coming. I just wanted you to know that I do care about you and that I want this to work.

Oh, and yes, I really really love your quote!

Alice

Patb 05-15-2009 04:48 PM

Sheila
I have a few chin hairs you can have as they seem
to come every day. I assume the arimidex and no
estrogen is the culprit. I think of you daily and
hope that the chemo works as it has for my friend
here in town. She is on Navelbine and tykerb..
Prayers are headed your way. Take care.
Patb

Pam P 05-15-2009 05:34 PM

Sheila - So glad to see your post and know that the 1st navelbine went well. Always keeping you in my thoughts and hope this treatment will shrink all those nodes in a hurry. I'm getting a little hair growth now too that I'm off the taxol & on to gemzar. But on my head it's so thin it looks more like head whiskers than hair. I'm worried that it will stay this thin and never come back full like before. Time will tell. Pam

Believe51 05-15-2009 08:56 PM

Well Lovey, I have certainly been anticipating this update from you. I am so happy that things went so well and without all those premeds. I have been praying that this treatment allows you the time we beg for, you deserve some wiggle room of freedom. Your journey has been tough and you have seen many bad things to the door. I pray that you can see these new issues to that same exit too.

What will they be doing for the blood?? Are they going to watch and see, and then give a shot if needed? Curious.>>Believe51

SoCalGal 05-16-2009 10:11 AM

Sheila, from day one you have been a source of strength and inspiration for me. I hope this kicks you right into the arms of NED! Each time I see your photo, surrounded by your beautiful grand-kids, I can just feel the love and wonderful life energy they exude. Hope it's an easy week for you!
Flori

Joan M 05-16-2009 04:19 PM

Sheila,

You are a blessing to this board and an inspiration to all of us with your strength.

One of my girlfriends at my local bc support group is on Navelbine and she thinks it's very tolerabe in comparison to AC and Taxol (she's not HER2+ and doesn't take Herceptin).

Praying for the Navelbine to zap those nodes.

Hugs,

Joan

Sheila 05-18-2009 04:06 PM

Alice...when I look back, so much has changed in 7 years of treatment...I often wonder the what ifs on the Herceptin, but living in the past serves no purpose, you must cherish each day and go forward...I am thankful that there are chemos out there I have yet to try....it gives me hope for a future...I take each new chemo and hope it is my lucky ticket...if not, maybe the next. I am happy that herceptin has kept my mets in nodes for so long....that is a blessing.
The Navelbine is so far so good....I may need the extra hairs from you Pat, as my stubble on my head is shedding again...and I thought my hair would grow with navelbine....oh well, maybe its just getting rid of all the gray I had seemed to develop...i look more like my Dad everyday!!!!!
All of you are such a blessing....you have made me able to take all the side effects and ups and downs of this disease, and still laugh....there is always tomorrow!!!!

Jackie07 05-18-2009 07:30 PM

Sheila,

I just read an article about the combo of Capecitabine (Xeloda), Vinorelbine (Novelbine) and Trastuzumab (Herceptin). Looks like it is becoming the standard treatment for Her-2. You are on the right track and again blazing the trail. May you have great success!

Believe51 05-18-2009 10:07 PM

Sheila Girl, I wanted to check up on you and those blood counts, I am curious so please post when you get the results. I agree with you saying those drugs that we have not tried and how far treatment has come in 7 years, keeps hope afloat. You are so brave and your inspiration continues to keep Ed and I afloat also, thank you for carrying us through.>>Believe51

PS: Best part of this post from me is that I decided to relax with a shower. Back in the day when life was normal I complained about shaving my legs and in the winter sometimes rebelled for a week or two. Well I did get relaxed and as I shaved I smiled thinking of your thread. Who would of thought that those days of complaining would one day be relished?? I smile again.

juanita 05-19-2009 03:20 PM

sending prayers from here!

Believe51 05-25-2009 06:20 PM

Sheila Girl, how are you doing with everything?? Wondering about you and letting you know how much I route you on silently eveyday. Lots of Love>>Believe51

Sheila 05-26-2009 04:23 AM

Marie
Thank you so much for thinking of me...I go in for round 2 tomorrow of Navelbine...so far no change in the nodes in my neck, chest or my voice......I guess I want an immediate response after 1 treatment. Getting tired of my "helium voice" so really hoping this will shrink the nodes and take the pressure off the vocal cord. I feel more tired it seems, I am anxious to see how my counts are tomorrow...in almost 2 years of Taxol, I never needed anything as my counts were always good....go figure, good blood, bad lymph nodes!!! Glad to hear so far so good for Ed...you are both always in my thoughts and prayers.

WomanofSteel 05-26-2009 06:20 AM

Sheila, good luck with the next treatment. I hope your nasty node withers soon.