HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Having another procedure (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39376)

Joan M 05-11-2009 08:39 PM

Having another procedure

I'm still dealing a little with coughing up blood -- even though it hasn't happened in just over two weeks -- and as a result I'm scheduled Thursday for what I think is an angiography.

It seem that the soure of the intermittent bleeding has been found --a bulge in a vein in the lung near the RFA area -- and it's going to be embolized.

I had been going along taking my antifungal infection medication for the aspergillus (mold) infection in my lung and then about a month ago started to cough up small amounts of blood again every day for about a week.

The interventional radiologist who did the lung RFA last August wanted to insert in an ambulatory procedure the medication directly into the cavity in my lung caused by the RFA, but in preparation a CT scan Saturday showed that the cavity had naturally closed up on its own. He said there's now no place to put the meds. However, he did see a bulge in one of the veins in the RFA area of my lung which is probably the source of the bleeding (he likened it to a tire with a bulge in it). The bulge is caused by a weakening of the vein wall. He consulted with two pulmonolgists and a thorasic surgeon, as well.

The good news is that there is still no sign of cancer in the lung. Also, it seems that the inflammation went down since I've been taking the meds for the aspergillus, and allowed a clearer picture that showed the problematic vein.

RFA causes a cavity where the tumor is ablated, which fungus/mold and bacteria can colonize. However, I don't believe this is normally the case. But I think I developed the infection after taking Decadron for four week post brain surgery, which was only two months after the RFA. Decadron use can lead to fungal infections like in the perfect storm and, in my case, the lung area was probably still healing.

I'm very nervous about the procedure. The IR guy called me on Friday to switch procedures, and the angiography requires a one-night stay in the hospital.

Also, I have very little information about the procedure other than I think they insert a tube in my leg vein and go through the body to the area in the lung.

Hopefully between the meds and the procedure I won't have to deal with the coughing stuff anymore.

Joan

Faith in Him 05-11-2009 08:52 PM

Joan,

I am so sorry that you have to go through another procedure but it sounds like your doctors are on top of things. I pray that this will take care of cough and that you recover quickly.

Tonya

SoCalGal 05-11-2009 09:13 PM

Joan- I am so sorry you have to go thru anything else. I would be nervous and scared, too. Your doctors have gotten through quite a bit, so count on them to continue to heal you. Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts. Flori

Believe51 05-11-2009 11:44 PM

Can't anything ever be easy for you?? The great news is no cancer in the lungs, but it does not take away that this is scary. This is all so much for you so please know we will be right with you as you go through this. Continued prayers as you get the procedure and get back in the saddle again.>>Believe51

Ceesun 05-12-2009 05:41 AM

Prayers and good wishes, Joan. Ceesun

Mary Anne in TX 05-12-2009 07:16 AM

Much prayer for a successful procedure, Joan. And prayers for the fear to go away and trust and peace to take charge, too. ma

WomanofSteel 05-12-2009 08:57 AM

Joan, sorry you have to go through yet another procedure. I hope everything goes well and this puts an end to it all. I pray for good results and a speedy recovery. Good luck!

CindyE 05-12-2009 09:02 AM

Joan,
You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you have this procedure done. I will be praying that all goes well and that you are feeling better very soon. Take care.

Shobha 05-12-2009 09:06 AM

Joan, sending lots of prayers and healing thoughts your way. Praying that the doctors quickly find the reason and cure the cough.

hugs,
shobha

Becky 05-12-2009 11:46 AM

You are in my thoughts and prayers Joan

Jean 05-12-2009 12:14 PM

Hi Joan,
I am happy to hear that the lung is NED...I will be keeping you in my special prayers for a speedy and
safe procedure.

Best Wishes,
Jean

Soccermom 05-12-2009 03:11 PM

I'll be thinking of you as well,Joan..
Marcia

Gerri 05-12-2009 05:48 PM

Joan,

So happy to hear the good news! On the other hand I am so sorry that you have to go through yet another procedure. I am sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

jml 05-12-2009 08:17 PM

Sending you hugs, comfort & prayers, Joan!
All will be well- soon, very soon.

Keep the Faith~

Jml

Pam P 05-13-2009 03:23 PM

Joan - Thoughts and prayers for a very easy procedure and the end to the coughing blood. Glad to hear it's not cancer. Pam

schoolteacher 05-14-2009 05:58 AM

Joan,

I will be praying for you. Hope you are feeling better. Positive vibes coming your way.

Amelia

StephN 05-14-2009 11:27 AM

Dear Joan -
You have once again pushed the docs to find your problem. Anything that is out of the ordinary seems to fall on us to keep them thinking about our case.

When is the procedure?? You can be sure many prayers for success and healing of this annoying problem will be heading your way.

Jackie07 05-14-2009 05:33 PM

Joan,

How did the angiography go? The place where they inserted the catheter is going to be sore for a couple of days.

CindyE 05-14-2009 09:28 PM

Continuing to pray for you Joan. Hope all has gone well. Rest easy.

Sheila 05-15-2009 05:05 AM

Joan
Hoping this procedure will be the final fix and that you will begin to feel better without the coughing episodes. You are a brave tough woman...you deserve a break. Sending hugs and prayers to you!