HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Flori blabs, this-that-the other... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39375)

SoCalGal 05-11-2009 06:29 PM

Flori blabs, this-that-the other...

Hello everyone, and a belated happy mother's day to all those mamas...

I finished radiation two weeks ago. It left me pretty darn pooped out. But still and all, not feeling horrible, just very, very tired. My neck started up again, during rads. I really think my initial "ridiculopathy" or whatever he said, started when I had that radiation in '06. Anyhow - I've been dramatically limiting my computer as much as possible since that clearly aggravates the pain.

Meanwhile, some good news: EXPRESSIONS OF HOPE & HEALING (my concept/workshop for all interested cancer survivors, through Cedars-Sinai's newly created Survivorship Programing), has a green light and a start date, (June 19th - yikes) so I will jump in and hopefully do some good. I've been working on this for two years and finally, I'm almost there!

And then some weird news - I had a random high (102 !) fever/flu thing this past weekend. They did blood/urine today at the Onc and said my sodium is very low! Of course I'm freaking out, because, please don't laugh - cancer aside, I think of myself as healthy. Nuts but true. Now I have to go in tomorrow for a two-hour sodium infusion. I don't get it. To me it didn't sound so low (127) but normal starts at 135. Where did all my salt go? I am the marshmellow and potatoe chip queen.

And now an interesting Flori-tidbit:
On Friday, May 15th, wrapped in my daughter's tallit (prayer shawl) I will be called to the Torah as a Bat Mitzvah! I've been studying with a group of adults and our clergy for the past 6 months. Friday night is the big night. My kids and family and friends will be there and I am looking forward to this moving and meaningful night.
I am more than a little chicken to chant my Torah portion, but luckily we are a big group so everyone has just a small part. I feel like I am trying my best to not just survive, but to also thrive. At least to the best of my ability which seems to change at the drop of a hat.

I have missed my board and all of you very much. Thanks for the PM's and words of concern and love. Sending hugs, love, hope and prayers to all,
Flori

Henny 05-11-2009 07:47 PM

Mazel Tov Flori!
I know you will do great. What an accomplishment. I'm sure your family is so proud of you.

Henny

Joan M 05-11-2009 08:16 PM

Flori,

Great to hear that you're feeling good and that your project at Cedar's Sinai is finally getting off the ground after some delays. And Mazel Tov on the Bat Mizvah celebration and doing your part.

Joan

Joan

ElaineM 05-12-2009 12:26 AM

Flori blabs, this-that-the other...

Congratulations on your Bat Mitzvah. It is a wonderful accomplishment !!
It sure is a mystery where salt goes. I guess we loose a bit everytime we visit the restroom and we loose some through our skin in hot weather. Everybody's body is a bit different even though we all have the same basic parts and our bodies are supposed to operate in the same way.
My salt has been what is considered a little below normal my whole life. It was 127 last week. At first my current doc worried about it, but he stopped worrying about that when I developed high blood pressure even though my salt is still a bit low. He did tell me that we can have a seizure or pass out if it gets very low, so I guess that is why docs get concerned about it.
I don't even like salty food. I wonder if you will get very thirsty after the salt infusion like I get very thirsty if I eat salty food?
Be sure to rest up after all that radiation before going back to the Ceders of Sinai project. Take good care of yourself.
Enjoy Friday !!

Jackie07 05-12-2009 01:44 AM

Flori,

Mazel Tov on the Bat Mizvah celebration!

(I am pretending that I know what it is - will consult my bridesmaid and her professor husband who had their orthodox wedding 15 years ago)

Now perhaps you can link the salt ordeal to the 'crossing the red sea'? Don't worry, we all might need to be wondering in this breast cancer wilderness for a while. But 'promised land' we shall find!

Mary Anne in TX 05-12-2009 07:20 AM

So amazing, you are, Flori! I know that both special occasions will be just wonderful with you there! How exciting! Best wishes for two very special days! ma

Missyw 05-12-2009 08:30 AM

Mazel Tov Flori,

What an amazing accomplishment! We just celebrated my daughter's Bat Mitzvah in October and it was one of my happiest days ever. I know your family will be filled with pride witnessing you read from the Torah. To Life!!

Missy

caya 05-12-2009 08:48 AM

Mazel Tov Flori on your Bat Mitzvah - I'm sure you will do great chanting your Torah portion.

all the best
caya

WomanofSteel 05-12-2009 08:55 AM

Mazel Tov Flori. I am sure all will be fine as you chant your portion. I hope you continue to heal and feel better daily.

Andrea Barnett Budin 05-12-2009 11:21 AM

Oh flori, you are aglow!

DEAREST SWEET FLORI,

What a Woman! Look what you created at Cedar's to touch the lives of so many Warrior Survivors! As you give, so will you reap. Your generosity of Spirit and creativity are a blessing to all.

I am so proud of your accomplishment in becoming a Bat Mitzvah! Look where you are on your Life's journey! Wiser, stronger, deeper, ever reaching for new heights full of wonder and joy.

Your life has special meaning to you and to all who will bear witness. I will be with you Friday night, from down South and across the country, but with you nonetheless... You are a unique and wonderful young woman. May your future be blessed with good health, good fortune and happiness.

In canserland, we can take one of two paths. We can have a breakthrough, or we can have a breakdown. You are full of all the right choices, Flori. Your Spirit guides you and grants you grace and fortitude extraordinaire! I just love the power of your thoughts and acts. I love you. "Yasha koach". May you go from strength to strength... What a time of jubilation!

I am certain you will continue to be a force, full of vigor and might, growing, evolving as we are all meant to do with each new day. Shabbat Shalom, Flori! It is an honor to know you.