HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   help for a friend- probable lung cancer with spread (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39146)

karen z 04-26-2009 08:23 AM

help for a friend- probable lung cancer with spread

I have just found out that a dear friend of mine, whom I have known since I was a grad student, has cancer with spread to the spine. The docs at Cleveland Clinic believe that the primary source is the lung. My friend has had chest x-rays and scans so far and will have a biopsy next week in Cleveland. I just talked to her husband and I believe that the plan is to go to one of the major cancer centers (M.D., Sloan, or another) to develop a treatment plan and to possibly have the actual treatment at the Univ. of Michigan. I wonder if anyone can provide any advice on which center might be the best for this type of problem? I am sorry I cannot yet provide any other information. My friends are in their upper seventies (they were like parents to me during my training) and completely distraught. Any advice would be appreciated.

Lien 04-26-2009 11:42 AM

I don't have any advice, as I'm from the Netherlands, Europe. I have a story that might lift your spirits though.
One of my father's good friends, an artist in his mid-seventies, developed lungcancer almost 5 years ago. He was told that his prognosis was not good, and was asked whether he wanted aggressive therapy or not. He chose aggressive therapy and is cancer-free to this day. He had mets to the brain, so he had wbr, which caused concentration and memory problems, but otherwise he is fine and enjoying life. So don't give up hope!

Love

Jacqueline

Love

Jacqueline

karen z 04-26-2009 01:58 PM

Thank you Jacqueline. Your post was very much needed.
Best,
Karen

Believe51 04-26-2009 06:22 PM

Karen, I do have the treatment center advice you seek but I have a friend who just had her lung cancer spread to the back. She did get radiation to the spine after surgery. Right now she is on a light chemo regime weekly and doing fine. Now she is only in her 50's but she is a very very frail woman who has combatted another cancer in the past.

Although your sweet friend is in her 70's, I do believe whatever she needs will be done with care and concern. I think the trick here is to find that facility you search for. I also wish that by finding this treatment center, that this gives her the 'hope' she will need to find her peace. I am so sorry you have to watch someone you love go through the winding road of cancer. I hope to see you update us on your sweetie when you find some closure. I will keep you in my thoughts. Sending love.>>Believe51

karen z 04-26-2009 06:50 PM

Believe51,
Thank you so much for your sweet note. I know that finding the right cancer center and coming up with a plan will give my friends more peace. Right now they are so terrified- I could hear that the moment the husband picked up the phone.
Thank you for sending along the information about your friend. I do not know much about the various options for this type of cancer or what might happen next.
karen

Believe51 04-26-2009 08:43 PM

Right now she is on weekly Taxol but the other drug is another one that is used for breast cancer. I know what their voices sounded like, Karen, for I remember like it was yesterday how I sounded upon hearing the horrific news. No matter how terrified I have been since the beginning of this cancer journey, my cries have never sounded like the first one upon diagnosis.

Karen, if you need any questions answered in the mean time, please ask me or use my Yahoo e-mail, I would be more than happy to call her; we talk all the time. She would be honored to help. I do not know if you remember Ed's friend named Ed, he is a walking miracle. He is also a mascot in the non-hodgkins lymphoma world diagnosed in the early 80's and more Adriamycin than everyone on this board together has had. They are married and have had their share of cancer. Either one of them can answer most of the current questions of lung cancer.

Sorry to ramble. I am here and will help with anything I can.>>Believe51

Shobha 04-27-2009 09:36 AM

Karen,

Sending prayers and healing thoughts for your friend.

hugs,
shobha

Believe51 05-04-2009 10:12 PM

Karen, thinking about your friends and wanted to know how they are making out. Any updates?? Please know they are in my prayers.>>Believe51

karen z 05-08-2009 09:05 PM

Thank you so much Shobha.
karen

karen z 05-08-2009 09:13 PM

Thank you Marie. My friend has now had a biopsy and it will take about three weeks to get back a complete analysis and information regarding the type of lung cancer she has. This information will dictate the type of treatment. She will definitely have radiation for the spread to her spine. I talked to my friend's husband (also a dear friend and my first professor in graduate school) and he has had a difficult time talking about treatment- he just can't do it right now so I do not have as many details as I might like. My friends have two grown children who have both flown in to be with them during this time. I will post more when I know more. I appreciate your prayers- I feel helpless being so far from my friends and, of course, I want to know more about plans and options.

StephN 05-08-2009 09:29 PM

Hello Karenz -

I have learned last week that my aunt (she is 85) has been diagnosed with non-small cell lung cancer.

She has headaches and only had a CT of her brain, since she has a pacemaker and cannot have an MRI. They did not see any tumors. There is no sign of other spread, so they will try a lighter dose of chemo and try to keep her more comfortable.

I wish I had some advice for you, but this branch of my family is in central Florida and is dealing with the situation there.

karen z 05-08-2009 09:38 PM

Thank you StephN. I am very sorry to hear about your aunt and glad that there are no signs of spread. It is difficult to be so far away from family and friends who need help.