HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Wigs - Good Ones? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37987)

julierene 02-12-2009 10:16 AM

Wigs - Good Ones?

Every wig I have tried on has been itch and uncomfortable, even with a cap. I am trying a full hand-tied wig next, and paying a LOT for it. Is there any advice on this? I am tired of being itchy!!! Good brands, wigs that are designed for our sensitive heads?

freyja 02-12-2009 11:58 AM

Are you getting human hair wigs? I far prefer that to synthetic hair.

BonnieR 02-12-2009 01:04 PM

I have to say, in retrospect, I would have worn a wig less. If at all. I got a few right at the beginning but I noticed that the longer I went along I began to opt just to wear a head scarf or hat of some sort. The wigs were just too uncomfortable. And the head covering was easier. There are lots of creative ones now that suit any occassion. There were situations where a wig was indictated but not on a daily basis for me. However, my use was pretty short term and I never explored buying really great quality ones. I just went to a specialty wig store and bought them off the shelf.
Anyway, I do understand what you are saying and I hope some members here have suggestions for you.
Keep the faith.

harrie 02-13-2009 12:14 AM

Julierene, I found what worked best is cutting off the sleeve of a man's large size short sleeve t-shirt and use that sleeve pulled on over your head and wear it under your wig. It worked a whole lot better then those nylon "skin caps" and it made the wig very comfortable and it stayed in place pretty well. It sounds like it might be bulky, but its not.

Sheila 02-13-2009 06:12 AM

Julierene

I am becoming more and more of an expert on wigs, the more times I lose my hair. The first time i paid a fortune for a human hair wig....I would never buy another. It is a top brand, Amore, but takes alot of work to keep it looking good...and not that comfy.

I think I have the answer now...hand tied, they are soft on the head and the hair goes multidirectional so they are more realistic. There is a new one out by Raquel Welch called Nocture...it is amazing, I can wear it all lday and never feel it.

The most important thing is to find a place that does wig fittings...try on many, any can be styled to your preference.

The synthetic are cheaper and much easier care...I have several colors, depends on my mood....and if not, I wear a banana...only the ones that are made by Anokhi, very soft wood block prints...carried at specialty wig shops or a few places on the internet. They are 30" square, the perfect size.

Cannon 02-14-2009 08:36 PM

Sheila,

I assume you are really wearing a BanDana, not a Banana!!

SoCalGal 02-15-2009 12:51 AM

Wigs are like bras...

Wigs are like bras. I've never found a comfortable one of either kind. And as soon as I put one on it is just a matter of time before I take it off.

When I was bald I wore silk scarves that I painted wrapped around my little head. When I had to go out to my kids' school functions and places that I knew would be uncomfortable for them I wore a fake wig. Short and style-ish. What helped much was the wig fitter who made some adjustments that kept it from sliding around too much.

I seem to be ultra sensitive to annoying things (what a surprise. HA.) so I mostly wore caps over scarves or scarves or sometimes just bald. I like knit beanies for warmth.

xo Flori

julierene 02-16-2009 10:09 AM

LOL, the banana just CRACKED me up!

PinkGirl 02-16-2009 12:31 PM

I think she meant banana.

Sheila 02-16-2009 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WOW, the secret is out...when those wigs get too uncomfy, I just wear a banana on my head...kind of the Carmen Miranda thing!!!!! And occasionally, a (bandana)

Thanks for proving that chemo brain is alive and well in my house!!!!

Jackie07 02-16-2009 02:26 PM

Are we all 'going bananas'? :)

My husband just reminded me of a joke he had told me before:

President Lincoln and President Kennedy had a lot in common. Lincoln's Secretary of State is a Kennedy; Kennedy's Secretary of State is a Lincoln. Kennedy's wife liked bananas; Lincoln's wife went bananas... [wondered if she's the originator of that beautiful hat:)]

ElaineM 02-16-2009 03:36 PM

Wigs - Good Ones?

You guys crack me up !! I just had a good laugh. I needed that !!
Seriously, whenever I needed wigs I went to the American Cancer Society and got free wigs.
I never had one that was uncomfortable. The name of the program was Toppers. I don't know if the ACS still has that program or not. A very nice person let me try on as many wigs and in as many colors as I wanted until I found a style I liked. Then she took a new one in the style I choose out of the cabinet and taught me how to put it on, style it and take care of it. She also gave me a couple nice scarves. All for free !! It was just like going to an expensive salon.
Wig makers donate their unsold wigs to the ACS. I live in Hawaii where one would think it is too hot to wear a wig, but I wore a wig without the underneath cap whenever I needed to wear it.

DanaRT 02-16-2009 04:24 PM

I had a lot of trouble feeling comfortable in my wigs. After a while I simply wore baseball caps from Lands' End. No one seemed to care, my girls thought we received a little extra attention when I was bald--discounts, moving ahead in line, warm smiles, etc. Do I sound shallow?? There were a few times I felt very aware I was a bald woman at a dressy function but mostly I was pretty comfortable with the ball caps.

Sherryg683 02-16-2009 05:37 PM

I found wigs to be itchy also and couldn't wear them for long. I finally asked a woman at chemo, who always wore a wig how she stood it. She said she put Seabreeze Astringent on her head before putting on her wig. I tried it and it indeed helped, still not completely comfortable but helped...it that doesn't work..there's always the BANANA...sherryg683