HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Navelbine (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37407)

shondagaylord 01-03-2009 10:02 AM

Navelbine

I am getting ready to start Navelbine next week. This will be my 3rd line chemo. I did Taxol for a year weekly and then off a year. I started Tykerb. Xeloda could not take made me sick and then they started Gemzar which I ended up in the hospital after 2 rounds for 3 months. I developed ARDS and was on a vent for 8 days. At that point I lost all ability to walk.(Through rehab I can walk again. Praise God) I was also diagnosed with TTP during that time which is a blood disorder and there are tiny blood clots through out your body. It has messed with my kidney function however it is much better now. They say it was caused by the Gemzar. I was not expected to live. I am really scared to start a new chemo, but I am also scared not to. Any personal info on Navelbine would be so greatly appreciated.

Mary Anne in TX 01-03-2009 10:36 AM

My goodness Shonda! What an experience. I'm surely glad you are much better. I took Navelbine with H after several others (signature) and found it to be extremely doable! I found that when taking Taxol I had to have it really slow to be able to avoid the reactions (scary). They just kept me on that routine even throughout Herceptin for 2 1/2 years. Maybe that would help you too. I also remember some of the gals saying they had them give H in some different fluid(they'll chime in). Good luck and keep on believin'. ma

swimangel72 01-03-2009 10:49 AM

Hi Shonda - I was on Navelbine for four months (an unorthodox drug regime my oncologist recommended so I wouldn't suffer heart problems). I received the infusion every two weeks with Herceptin with no pre-meds (the pre-meds caused me terrible constipation and gas.) Navelbine is known for burning your veins so I had to get a port - but my port became infected so they had to use my veins anyway. They ran it with saline at the same time and that solved the burning problem. My only other problem with Navelbine was it caused painless diarrhea for about 3 hours after my infusion - but the next day I'd be fine. I hope you have no side effects from this drug - sounds like you've been through enough already! Good luck!

vickie h 01-03-2009 02:21 PM

Hi Shonda, I was on Navelbine for almost a year and had no problems at all, I even kept my hair. It was the first drug I was on that showed NED on a PET scan. I have been on so many, but I felt Navelbine was the least problematic drug I have done and it worked for a long time. Let us know what you decide. Love, Vickie

jones7676 01-03-2009 02:59 PM

I had Navelbine and found it to be one of the easiest to tolerate that I have had. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Rendi69CA 01-03-2009 04:48 PM

Shonda, I am starting Navelbine with herceptin on Monday the 5th. Lets keep each other posted about are treatment. Good luck with this one and I wish you do well. xoxoxo

Rendi

ElaineM 01-03-2009 04:48 PM

Navelbine

I took Navelbine. I only got tired for 24-36 hours afterwards, but had none of the heavy duty side effects.

Pam P 01-03-2009 05:50 PM

I' m sorry to hear of all the complications you've had. My goodness you are do for an easy treatment routine. I hope navelbine will be the ticket for you. I was on navelbine for a year & it was very tolerable. The biggest issue for me was low white blood count, but I took neupogen shots, and only once did I have to skip a week of treatment. I felt pretty good while on it - just more tired for a day or two.

shondagaylord 01-04-2009 09:08 AM

Thank you for all of the positive information and Best wishes to all of you.

Barbara H. 01-04-2009 05:23 PM

Navelbine is well tolerated for most people. I had to receive procrit shots and had mouth sores after my first infusion. I was never really sick, but a little tired the next day. I did not care for this drug because Herceptin alone was easier, and Navelbine did give me mild neuropathy. The T-DM1 trial is much easier for me. Nevertheless, as chemo drugs go, this is an easy one.
Best regards,
Barbara H.

Unregistered 01-04-2009 05:28 PM

What is the T-Dm1 trial?

Barbara H. 01-04-2009 08:26 PM

It is Herceptin with a small attached molecule that is brought to the cancer site by Herceptin. There are many posts about it on this forum and in the trial section. It has been a great trial for me and has put me in remission. It has caused a mild inflammation in my lungs as a side effect and I am currently using streoids to deal with that issue.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

StephN 01-04-2009 10:18 PM

H -
Welcome to the Navelbine Club. A lot of us here have had to use it at some point, usually for mets.
I took it with Taxol and Herceptin for 7 months weekly. Am pretty sure it was the Taxol that was the hardest on me of that combo. But they WORKED! I have been in remission ever since and that is going on 7 years.

We hit my liver tumors hard with a 3-pronged approach and though I was tired, lost hair, had mouth sores - it was actually no worse as a group than Adriamycin.

I know others who have had good luck with that drug and been able to go back to it after a time and do well again.

Patb 01-05-2009 10:41 AM

Hi ShephN

Love you snowflake sweater, I collect them and your
new picture is great.
patb