HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   update on my vertigo (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37046)

rinaina 12-09-2008 10:50 PM

update on my vertigo

Wow, have I missed a lot while I was out of town for a week. Still trying to get caught up. I left right after I had some testing done for my vertigo and received the results while I was on vacation. The diagnosis is BPPV which is, as some of you already know, Benign paroxsymal positional vertigo. The remedy is a few rounds of physical therapy and I should be good as new. Basically what happens is that these crystals that form in the ear become dislodged and cause the vertigo. My ENG test came back very positive for BPPV. I am so relieved and thankful it isn't anything worse. Once again, the sisters on here were right. I am telling you, if you ever want support, help or advice, this is one heck of a place to find it. Some of you hit it right on the head with that diagnosis. Thank you..I start pt in a few weeks.

Chelee 12-10-2008 12:35 AM

rina, I had a feeling that's what it was since I too suffer from BPPV. But once we are dx with bc I know where the mind goes instantly when you have symptoms like that. I bet you are SO relieved now. (You can breath again!) :)

Thanks for the update...I'm so happy you got such good news. Now you can relax and enjoy your Holidays without that hanging over your head. Wooo hooo.

Chelee

rinaina 12-10-2008 01:11 PM

You've got that right Chelee. You're right, once diagnosed with bc, one can't help but worry, but I really try not to most of the time. Dizziness, however is a scary thing and because I have never experienced this before I admit I was truly worried. Much relieved now thanks to you and many on here. Thanks.

tricia keegan 12-10-2008 01:13 PM

Glad to hear it's nothing serious Rina, thanks for the update!

Shobha 12-10-2008 01:52 PM

Thanks for sharing the good news, Rina! I am so happy for you. Have a wonderful holiday season.

MaryAnn-CA 12-10-2008 02:06 PM

Wonderful news on your vertigo! I know it must be a big relief to know what is causing the dizziness and that it is a benign condition. Mary Ann

Believe51 12-10-2008 02:32 PM

Rina, I too am so thankful for these results. Thank you for posting as soon as you found out, we been thinking about you girl. Ah, what a relief this is to us all. Loving you another day.>>Believe51

Bill 12-10-2008 02:46 PM

Thanks for sharing the good news, Rina! I hope you had a good trip.

caya 12-10-2008 06:29 PM

Great News Rina - only those of us with BC would be happy with a diagnosis like this. Hopefully the physio will take care of it for you.

all the best
caya

sassy 12-10-2008 08:14 PM

What wonderful news. Just get everything back into position now!

swimangel72 12-13-2008 09:17 PM

I'm so happy you got a definitive dx Rina. When my ENT told me that was my problem, I was amazed because I never even heard about it before.....and now I keep hearing about other women getting it all the time. Will your physical therapy involve the Epley maneuver? That was the cure for my vertigo - one manipulation by my ENT and I was cured the next day........it did come back the following summer but by then I figured out what was going on and was able to do the maneuver myself. I have learned to avoid sudden neck movements (similar to whiplash) - no more rollercoaster rides for me (except for this ride with BC) and I also notice that changes in altitude can bring it on again - like when we go to the mountains for a week in the summer - I always get vertigo when we return home. But the Epley maneuver takes care of it for me. Hope they teach you the technique - you can find it on Youtube.

suzan w 12-15-2008 08:59 PM

So glad your dx was BPPV! Mine went away after a short time...and I only have a vague dizzy spell from time to time now! WHen they say we have "rocks in our head" they are not kidding!!!

rinaina 12-22-2008 04:44 PM

Thanks everyone for all your wishes. I have had one physical therapy session and I am experiencing no vertigo now. I wish everyone's problems could be solved so simply. I have another session tomorrow but I am sure that will be my last one as long as I have no symptoms. I truly appreciate everyone's concern and supportive. I am so thankful to all my her2 sisters and brothers. Happy Holidays to all and a very Happy and healthy New Year too.

Chelee 12-23-2008 12:52 AM

Rina, Wow, that's great...one appt. and it's gone. Woo hoo! I've been dealing with BPPV for at least 7 years now. I wonder why my neuro or my primary doc has never offered to do anything about it when obviously there are ways to get rid of it. At my next appt. I will be bringing this up to my doc.

I'm glad you shared your success story with this Rina...that is wonderful news. Good timing...vertigo is such a pain...I'm glad you have it all taken care of before the Holidays...yeah! Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Chelee