HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   taxol neuropathy s (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35801)

mariapiedra 09-27-2008 09:24 PM

taxol neuropathy s

Hello All, I have a question regarding neuropathy side effects from taxol. I've had 4 taxol / herceptin treatments and I have 8 more to go. Side effects so far haven't been too bad. I've recently started to get some tingling in my fingers and feet; with 8 more treatments to go I'm concerned that the neuropathy will get worse. Has anyone on taxol found any helpful tips to reduce the neuropathy side effects or anything that helps to keep neuropathy from getting worse? Thanks!

Sheila 09-28-2008 04:51 AM

Maria
I have been on Taxol for 15 months and so far I do not have the neuropathy. I do know they told me to prevent extreme heat or cold to both my hands and feet....if it gets bad enough they can give you neurontin for it...a RX Drug your onc. can order. The good news is it goes away after treatment is finished (although it sometimes takes awhile.)
Hope this helps.

michka 09-28-2008 06:07 AM

Hi Maria. I had a bad experience with Taxol. 20 months after the end of Taxol, I have bad neuropathy in my hands and feet. I take Neurontin (which generates other problems) and still suffer from it. My Onc. had told me it would disappear after a few months when I would end chemo. It didn't. I should have stopped Taxol maybe one or two weeks before because I could feel it getting worse at each round. I suggest that if the symptoms are mild, like tingling, not to worry. But if it gets worse, talk to your Doctor to be sure you are not going too far.
Michka

doh2pa 09-28-2008 12:12 PM

Hi Maria

I have had multiple neurotoxic therapies and have had issues with neuropathy. I have been able to control it with the following:

1. 50 mg of B6 once a day
2. 5 mg of glutamine 3 times per day
3. accupuncture.

Accupuncture has helped me tremendously. I had never done it before but got relief after only two treatments. I continue to go back to my accupuncturist when my neuropathy bothers me. The B6 and glutamine are supplements you can find anywhere and easy to take. I would try these easier paths before considering something as like neurontin (which has its own set of side effects).

BonnieR 09-28-2008 03:50 PM

My oncologist recommended 30 gms of glutamine a day. It is a powdered amino acid dietary supplement that can be purchsed at health food stores. You mix it in beverages. Ask your doc about it.
I was also on Neurontin for other issues (have recently come off)
My neuropathy symptoms would be worse towards the end of a day or when particularly tired. Still have some. But it is less all the time.
Keep the faith

Catherine 09-28-2008 09:39 PM

I only had 8 chemo treatments. The last 4 were Taxol and I did not find it a very kind drug. I had neropathy. I wore little white cotton gloves to deal with my hands and the problems there. I had diffiucltly walking. When the pain was more than I could handle, they gave me decadron. I would talk to your doctor alot. Not sure why you have to be on taxol for so long, but make sure you know the reasons why. If it is killing the cancer, that is good. I have no left over problems from my neropathy, but I think others on this site have had lingering problems. I would be cautious of Nerotin also....sorry for the negative reply. I am no expert....just keep asking questions.

Hugs, CAtherine

jones7676 09-29-2008 02:11 AM

All of the Taxols I have been on caused me neuropathy. Taxotere was the worst for me and my feet felt like giant slippers and I did not walk very well. They say there is help out there, but I tried to just grin and bear it by telling myself it wasn't forever. If it is bothering you that much I would get assistance from the doctor.

rebecca0623 09-29-2008 11:07 AM

I had neuropathy after first TCH (taxotere) and onc slowed infusion. Had some neuropathy after second TCH but not as bad.

Louise O'Brien 09-29-2008 02:50 PM

Maria:

For a few years now, the hospitals in our province began outfitting women undergoing taxol infusions with huge iced white "boots and mitts" (they looked like oven mitts) to cover feet and hands.

Cold to begin with but you got used to it - in fact I would ask for a second pair of "boots" when the first warmed up. They said they had a lot of evidence that this prevented neuropathy and I'd have to say it worked for me. Other than a bad toenail on one foot (which is finally returning to normal after two years) I had no other effects.

mariapiedra 09-30-2008 09:39 AM

Thanks for the replies your imput has been helpful. At this point the tingling in my fingers & feet is tolerable and not interfering with my normal daily activities. I also asked my nurse about this problem and she recommened the B6 once a day and the Accupuncture; if that doesn't help then try adding the glutamine - because it can be expensive. This is the same plan that Donna reccommended in her post. Next week I plan to ask my onc. about the iced booties and mitts approach that Louse has suggested. I'm not sure they offer it, but it's worth asking. Also, I will talk to my onc. again if the symptoms get worse as others have suggested. It sounds like sticking it out if it the symptoms get too painful might not be the best approach. Thanks for all of your wonderful adivise. If any one else has anything to add or any additional suggetions I would love to hear from you!