HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Zometa (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35748)

Faith in Him 09-24-2008 12:45 PM

Zometa

Has anyone taked with their Onc. about using Zometa as a preventative? I know there is some studies that show Zometa may help control the progression of bc.

My onc said no Zometa unless I have bone involvement. Just wondering if anyone has had similar discussions with their onc.

Thanks

Mary Anne in TX 09-24-2008 01:17 PM

I see my onc on the 3rd of Oct. and plan to ask the same thing. I can't remember what I read recently about why you wouldn't. Hope you get lots of replies. ma

Gerri 09-24-2008 01:40 PM

I recently recieved my first infusion of Zometa. I am on Femara and asked that a bone density test be done as a baseline. The results showed osteopenia of the lumbar spine. My onc wanted to wait to put me on anything and do another test in six months to see if there was any further bone loss. She finally agreed to a biphosphonate and suggested Fosamax, but after a bit more discussion I talked her into putting me on Zometa. I highly doubt she would have allowed me to have Zometa just for the prevention of bone mets, which is why I requested that particular drug - dual purpose! Maybe you can request a bone density test (menopause can cause bones to lose density) and see if that helps your cause.

Best wishes,

lkc Gumby 09-24-2008 01:55 PM

I have been on proph. Zometa for about 2 yrs now. I get it IV every 6 mo. with no problems.
I actually asked my onc for it as there are trials currently running for proph use.
Zometa is FDA approved for Ostepenia, which most of us have, so Ins will cover it.
There can be significant side effects which can put docs off from rec it.
For me , it worh it.
The one thing I would advise is if you do plan on going on it, Make sure you have any pending dental work done first.
Hope this helps.

Mary Anne in TX 09-24-2008 02:57 PM

That's it....TEETH!

IRENE FROM TAMPA 09-24-2008 03:38 PM

Zometa Or Not

I have bones mets to my spine at present and my onc. put me on zometa.

I was diagnosed with osteopenia back in 1997 soon after starting chemo so they put me on Fosamax which I was on for years. Before starting and knowing I had bone mets, my onc was going to put me on RECLAST which is given once a year if your bone density is low. It is the same thing as Zometa but approved for people without bone cancer.

This might be an option for you.

BethC 09-24-2008 06:25 PM

Hi,
I just had my first infusion of Zometa today for osteoporosis in my hip. I'll get it twice a year, a lower dose than that used for bone mets or what was used in the trials. I figure it's good anyway. I found out about the osteoporosis because they screened me for bone density before starting Femara as part of a clincal trial studying the side effects/quality of life while taking Femara.

I've been working with my oncology nurse and insurance company for about 3 months trying to get it approved for me. My doctor prescribed it, but the insurance company was the holdup. We finally got an approval from insurance with the reservation that it was subject to review after the claim is submitted. I halfway expect to get dinged with a bill. We'll see - hopefully not.

The Zometa drug rep told my nurse that they expect that at some point Zometa will become standard protocol for all bc treatments. Of course, he works for Novartis so take that under advisement, but I hope he's right.

Anyway, it seems like insurance coverage varies greatly for this treatment, which is frustrating for those of us who have trouble getting it.

Good luck to you.
Beth

sassy 09-24-2008 06:29 PM

My onc wanted me on Zometa as soon as possible primarily for bone loss, but he was also aware of studies concerning Zometa being preventative. My insurance would not pay until bone density test showed osteopenia.

Good news is bone density has increased, plus I have the possible added benefit of prevention.

Unregistered 09-24-2008 08:02 PM

Hi from StephN in central Florida.
You are stage IV, yes?

Have you had a recent Dexa to check your bone density?

I had zometa when I was declared NED. I had suspicious areas in my bone so this was enough for me to have this drug along with Herceptin for as long as it seemed necessary to get my bone density back close to normal. It was also for preventative purpose as I had it every 3 weeks for about 2 years. Then I cut back and back and then off it since the only place with any tumor activity was my brain after NED.

There are other biphosphanates such as Boniva that you could also ask about.

My cousin here is a dentist and he said that the scare about Zometa and jaw problems is overblown in his opinion. He has yet to hear of a case in person or from any one he knows. He thinks it is more important to have bone strength.

Try to get something to strengthen your bones.

Faith in Him 09-24-2008 08:26 PM

I have been told that I had a local recurrence. So since then, chemo, mastectomy, hyperthermia rads and more chemo. But I was hoping to have Zometa as a preventative against a distant recurrence. I had a local recurrence very soon after intial treatment so that doesn't bode very well.

I am 39 years old and in chemopause. I have never had a bone density test and I wonder if I am too young, maybe not. I wonder if I should request one.

Thanks.

SoCalGal 09-25-2008 12:02 AM

F in H-
I would get a bone density test - if only as a baseline. You are not too young. It is a very quick test and very non-invasive. I think it was my OB who ordered my first one. Then depending what shows up you can go from there.
Good luck!

Barbara2 09-25-2008 08:42 PM

Started Zometa a couple of months ago

I asked my onc if I could switch from Actonel to Zometa and he agreed. The Arimidex had brought on osteopenia and the dexa still showed some continued loss even when taking the Actonel.

The chemo nurse told me I would get ithe Zometa once a year, so the next time I saw my onc I asked if I could have it twice a year as a bone mets preventative, and he said that I could. He said the insurance may not pay twice, but we will cross that bridge later.

BethC 09-26-2008 01:14 PM

F in H,

I had my ovaries removed in May 2008 so I could take AI's and they conducted a baseline bone density test at that time. I was very surprised by the results.

Good luck,
Beth

harrie 09-26-2008 11:53 PM

Barbara and Beth,
Am I reading correctly that Barbara you have osteopenia and will be on Zometa, and Beth, you have been dx with osteoporosis and are now on Zometa?

Question for anyone: Is it very common for a person to have osteopenia and be on zometa (rather then Fosomax, Boniva, or Actinol)?

sassy 09-27-2008 10:56 PM

I don't think it is common to have Zometa instead of Fosamax, Boniva or another bisphosphonate. But I do think there is a move in that direction. I have been seeing TV commercials advertising Zometa urging women to check with their doctors about taking Zometa for osteoperosis (sp).

Usually, insurance companies require proof loss of density, osteopenia, or osteoperosis before they will approve payment.

harrie 09-28-2008 05:30 PM

My friend who is 42 yrs old, bc as of last yr, and now has osteopenia, has just been recommended by her onco for zometa due to her young age of having osteopenia as well as the fact that the chemo was not very effective against her tumor.

sassy 09-28-2008 06:43 PM

There is a blurb in this month's Better Homes and Gardens about Zometa being used as preventative for early stage pre-meno women.