HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   are there women having a new cancer in the other breast after mastectomy? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35703)

CLTann 09-22-2008 01:57 PM

are there women having a new cancer in the other breast after mastectomy?

I just got back from my annual mammo on the other breast. The report was indefinite, requiring another test after six month. Previous annual reports were clearly negative. I am a little upset since I have been on Femara and other dietary regimen. Are there mastec women who had recurrence in the other breast here? I rarely read about this type of recurrence and surely would like to hear from anyone with this type of info. Thanks.

Kim in DC 09-22-2008 03:19 PM

I had what we think was a new primary in my opposite breast 6 years later. Since you have previous history, your insurance might pay for an Breast MRI. That is more conclusive than a mamo.

Kim

Becky 09-22-2008 05:58 PM

Dear Ann

Another option that I will be employing in January (as I got my digital mammo in July - which was fine but I feel insecure not being checked more often due to dense breast tissue and the unradiated dcis) is the Gammogram - aka bsgi (breast specific gamma imaging).

I got my prescription for it from my onc last week (script is good 6 months) and plan on getting it the day after New Year's day. If you go on the Dilon site (www.dilon.com) and call them, they will tell you where there are machines and then you can call the hospital for info. I need a prescription but no precertification. This is the same as the molecular imaging tests that were reported as great via ASCO Breast just a few weeks ago. Also, it is less than 1/2 the cost of MRI and fewer false positives (a problem with MRI).

I believe that contralateral recurrence is low but it can happen. More likely is a brand new bc on the other side. As you know, I was simultaneously diagnosed with invasive cancer on the right and a tiny dcis on the left. They were independent events and had different pathologies.

I would get it checked out because you will only think about it for 6 months and if it is something, it will be super early and more easy to deal with.

karenann 09-22-2008 06:29 PM

I am in the process of scheduling a six month follow up MRI for a suspicious area in my right breast (non bc breast) as we speak. My surgeon said six months ago that it was too small at the time to biopsy. We'll see, but in the meantime, I am feeling positive.

Karen

BonnieR 09-22-2008 06:49 PM

As Becky said, I would find it difficult to wait 6 months. My last mammogram said to come back in 6 months. For whatever reason I felt uncomfortable waiting and I chose to get another opinion before then, which is when my cancer was discovered. Couldn't they do yours sooner, considering you have a history of BC?

mcgle 09-23-2008 08:42 AM

I have no words of wisdom to offer, but am thinking of you at this difficult time.

Inconclusive results don't necessarily mean bad news and I hope all will be well for you. Just sorry you have such a wait ahead.

Mcgle (UK)

CLTann 09-23-2008 01:35 PM

Thanks for all your inputs. I have written to Dilon for nearest hospital site but have not received any reply. Your suggestion is a good one, Becky.

I have made an appt with my onc and plan to discuss the options in face of the uncertainty. The appt is 10 days away.

AlaskaAngel 09-23-2008 02:17 PM

choices

I too hope all's well for you. I had a lumpectomy in 2002 and at 5 years out, increased calcifications were found in the other breast and I was put on 6-month repeat. At 6 months, mammogram/CAD was repeated and I was cleared and put back to annual mammos. I get my next 12-month mammo in December. I asked my surgeon in Seattle recently about having the Dilon done, as that is what made sense to me. At this time he would prefer either an MRI or a PEM (positive emission mammogram). I will see him in December and discuss it again with him.

AlaskaAngel

charlotte 09-23-2008 02:18 PM

Not to cause undue alarm,but this is exactly what happened to me. right breast first,(with reconstruction) left breast next, now I have IBC..which had cleared up for a whle, now its making its appearance again, below my right breast.. I wish you well and hope you have good news to report later on...wishing you all the best.

cath52 09-23-2008 02:30 PM

For all you who have responded with a reoccurance in the other breast: were any of you treated with Hereceptin?

charlotte 09-23-2008 07:33 PM

Yes I was for a total of 4 treatments.of herception. then my ejection rate in my heart , said no more...

Becky 09-25-2008 05:51 AM

I was diagnosed simultaneously on both sides.

harrie 09-28-2008 05:42 PM

I had DCIS in 1993 on my rt side followed by a lumpectomy and rads, 3 yrs later had DCIS on my left side and had a lumpectomy and rads, 7 yrs later had stage I invasive DCIS on my rt side and then I had my bilat mastectomy and chemo. For the record, just before my last occurance, I found out I was BRCA 2 positive.