HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Acai berry (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35006)

sally 08-04-2008 07:43 AM

Acai berry

Just wondering if anyone is taking the acai berry in pill, juice or powder form. Sally

LAURIE 08-04-2008 03:59 PM

I feel like it has the potential to be really good. my brother sells mona vie(sp?) I know sam's club sells a cheaper version. I have been drinking Bolthouse acai and/or tropicana acai mix.

kcherub 08-05-2008 08:12 AM

I do Mona Vie. :)

Take care,

Chelee 08-05-2008 12:56 PM

My son just bought me a bottle of Mona vie. I haven't tried it yet but I checked out the ingredients and it looks to be a very healthy choice of drink. I hope I don't like it too much because its not cheap. :) We will see soon enough.

Chelee

naturaleigh 08-06-2008 05:38 AM

Where do you find this drink? I have never heard of it. It does come in pill or powder form as well?

TerriC 08-09-2008 02:47 PM

No Mona Vie for me

A friend from work had a bottle of Mona Vie and I have been wanting to try it. After all, it was just berries with a little Glucosamine thrown in and I didn't think it would hurt. But I decided that I would behave(for once) and ask my onc first before using it. To my surprise he recommended against it for me right now. He said that he felt it could be a good preventative for cancer, in fact that if everyone ate 12 or so different Asian fruits and vegetables every day, no one would get cancer. But he thought that the Mova Vie has the potential to work against my therapy. Right now I am just receiving weekly Herceptin infusions.

BonnieR 08-09-2008 04:21 PM

Terri, it was good you asked your doctor first. I think there are situations where seemingly harmless organic things that we would never suspect might actually be contraindicated in some cases.

Unregistered 08-09-2008 05:42 PM

Mona Vie

I have been drinking Mona Vie since November and my onc is fine with it.

Karen W.

TerriC 08-10-2008 06:17 AM

Thanks Bonnie, while I was on chemo I never changed anything, but since Herceptin isn't a chemo drug I wouldn't have thought that a super juice would matter.
Karen, I'm glad that your onc is ok with it. Have you noticed any difference for you since you have started it? My friend that uses it says that his wife sleeps better and that it has taken away some of the "aging" pains that they had.
My onc didn't say that I could never take it, just that he didn't recommend it right now while I am receiving Herceptin. He said that he didn't know that much about Mona Vie, but that protocol advises against me changing or adding anything like that at this point.

Mary Jo 08-10-2008 06:29 AM

Hello everyone,

I personally have not tried Mona Vie but a friend of mine drinks it religiously - like 1/2 cup daily. She, too, had breast cancer. She consulted with her onc. also (my friend is on Tamoxifen - no chemo) and the nurse said before she drank anymore of it she wanted to check into the ingredients further to make sure there was no "estrogen" related "things" in it. Anyway, after touching base with the nurse again AND her cancer nutritionist, she too was given the "go ahead" with it and both said it was a very healthy drink.

My 2 cents.....

Mary Jo

karenann 08-10-2008 05:27 PM

Hi Terri,

Yes, I have noticed a difference with my joints and... if you will, my peace of mind. I, too was a bit worried about the possibility of phytoestrogens (sp?) being in the mona vie (I am highly er+) but I have a friend who has researched for me and my onc is familiar with the product and both said, "no" to the phytoestrogens.

My husband takes it and we are trying to get our 15 year old daughter to try it, too.

Hope this helps.

Karen

lizm100 08-10-2008 06:22 PM

Hi all-

yes, I do the Acai berry with blueberry 4 oz, pomegranate 4oz, carrot 4oz, mangosteen 2oz everyday. I buy all my juices except the mangosteen at Costco. The Zango, mangosteen I buy at a local health food store. I drink these juices under the advice of my naturalpath who said that if I were to only do a few of the juices she definitely wanted me to do the Acai & pomegranate.
Just my input.
Liz

TerriC 08-11-2008 05:54 PM

Thanks Karen, maybe when I am done with the Herceptin, he will clear it.
Take care,
Terri