HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Tykerb Trial after Completing Herceptin? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34916)

Henny 07-27-2008 09:41 AM

Tykerb Trial after Completing Herceptin?

Has anyone with "only" locally invasive her2 done a clinical trial with Tykerb after finishing herceptin? My onc mentioned this a few months ago. I see him in October for my 1st 3 month f/u after finishing a year of herceptin.
What about a bone agent to keep bone mets away?
Part of me says to look for any trial that might influence staving off mets and the other part of me says leave well enough alone and don't go looking for more side effects.
I really value what everyone here has gone through and your thoughts and ideas. There isn't another group on the planet who has thought and researched this more than you all here.

Thanks for any input

Henny

Mary Jeanne Phillips 07-27-2008 02:48 PM

Hi henny, I am in the same situation. I have been on Herceptin over 2 years now and have had 5 brain tumors plus mets to other organs. I have been on Zometa the same length of time for the bone mets. I have done well on both with no side effects. Now since the 5th brain tumor and some progression in the lung liver and bone mets we are thinking of TYkerb alone, not with Xeloda. I wanted any info on side effects from people on Tykerb now too. Still taking herceptin and Zometa until I can decide what to do. MJ

hutchibk 07-28-2008 02:58 PM

Mary Jeanne - you are the exact candidate for Tykerb/Xeloda. Xeloda is a chemo that works in the body and also crosses the blood brain barrier with the Tykerb. I would be curious as to the reason your doc is not considering Xeloda. The combo of the two is synergistic and would potentially treat your body mets as well as brain mets. I have been on T/X for 15 months for three 8-9mm and 5 'punctate' brain mets. In my case, it rendered them inactive after just 4 months on the combo and they have remained inactive ever since, as well as keeping any mets in the body at bay. We did discover a very small bone met on my right iliac wing last month and started treating with Zometa as well. If that doesn't attend to that one, we are talking about adding Herceptin back in along with my Tykerb/Xeloda. It was my decision to try this combo first before signing on for Whole Brain Radiation, and I am very happy that we tried this first. I have been able to save WBR for a last resort, if ever necessary. Please talk to your doctor about all of the options and don't wait too long... Best of luck! Let us know what you learn and decide to do.

Also, I had little side effect from the combo for the first couple of months, and ever since have had vitually no side effect. Not everyone has the same experience or result, but it is a powerful option in our fight and well worth considering, in my opinion.

hutchibk 07-28-2008 03:06 PM

Henny - there was (maybe still is) the TEACH trial, which was a Tykerb trial for those who are clear after their Herceptin completion.

Also, talk to your doc about Zometa for your bone protection and it has also shown to improve overall survival.
http://www.curetoday.com/breaking_ne...07182008.1.htm

Henny 07-29-2008 06:47 AM

Thanks I'll check out the Teach trial and look into Zometa. It always makes a difference if I go to the onc with information. I like my onc-seems very knowledgeable and compassionate but not a "go getter"
Henny

Lani 08-03-2008 06:12 AM

I googled the TEACH trial and came up with the following

it appears to qualify you must NOT have received herceptin

A Randomized, Double-blind, Multicenter, Placebo-controlled Study of Adjuvant Lapatinib in Women with Early-Stage ErbB2 (HER-2/neu) Overexpressing Breast Cancer (TEACH)
Time frame of study: Ongoing
Location of Study: Beth Israel Medical Center
Contact: Continuum Cancer Center Research Program (212) 844-6286
Summary:
The purpose of this randomized, placebo-controlled trial is to evaluate lapatinib, a new adjuvant treatment for breast cancer, specifically for HER-2/neu-overexpressing breast cancer, which has a high risk of recurrence. While preliminary studies have shown that adding trastuzumab, a drug which is similar to lapatinib, to the adjuvant chemotherapy significantly reduces the risk of recurrence, no trials have tested this type of drug on women who have already completed chemotherapy without trastuzumab. This trial is a randomized trial to compare the patient’s current therapy with the addition of either lapatinib or a placebo.
Eligibility:
Women with early-stage HER-2/neu-overexpressing breast cancer who have not been previously treated with trastuzumab, have already completed primary adjuvant chemotherapy, and currently have no clinical or radiologic evidence of disease. Please call for more information.

Benefits and/or Compensation:
There is no monetary compensation for this study. The information gathered from this study may be beneficial to future patients, and lapatinib may reduce the risk of HER-2/neu-overexpressing breast cancer from recurring.

hutchibk 08-03-2008 08:34 AM

Thanks Lani - for scooping up my poop... LOL. Aren't they doing a trial with Tykerb following Herceptin? Maybe Dr. Winer is involved? or I might be just daydreaming...

Henny 08-03-2008 03:35 PM

Thanks everyone for your input.I was sure my onc did mention a double blind study for those in early stages after completing herceptin but I haven't found much online-(I try not to obsess too much and spend hours online). I guess I'll just chill out until my next appointment. My husband and 90 y/o father are going to Italy in a few weeks to see my brother who lives there so I'm going to try to put my mind into travel books for a while. After reading the thread on the Scary Stuff I'm more determined to have fun today
Henny