HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Scans show PET activity in left ovary (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34817)

Sherryg683 07-18-2008 12:55 PM

Scans show PET activity in left ovary

I was told that my recent PET scans were clear. I had my meeting with my doctor today and after reading the Radiologist report..there seems to be something in my left ovary..it had a PET SUV of 7.3 (moderate). The report states" The left ovary measures 3.2 x 2.3 cm. It shows some septations within it, suggesting a complex cystic appearance. No seperate left ovary is seen. No iliac or inguinal lymphadenopathy"..My oncologist said that it is rare for breast cancer to metasticise to ovaries and that this is a seperate issue. He said he thinks it could be just a cyst but got me an appointment with my GYN for monday to follow through on checking it out. Do any of you know or have any experience of Ovarian cancer after having breast cancer. I am HER2++ , ER-, PR-. I am kicking myself in the butt for not going ahead and having a hysterectomy within the last 2 years, believe me, I had thought about it. On my PET scan of 6 months ago, this was not there...any thoughts..sherryg683

Believe51 07-18-2008 01:07 PM

Sherry

Praying this is just a cyst and easily taken care of. It has been a while since I dealt with my ovarian problems, I had no choice but to go down the hysterectomy route; I was forced to face these problems since it went well beyond just ovaries. Please do not kick yourself in the butt for the past, we all wish we had hindsight but we do not. Knowing you for some time I feel I can say that you would have addressed this sooner if it was an issue. At the time it was not so you dismissed it to move on to larger, more pressing issues. You have quite the journey My Little Chickadee and I wish you were not so tough on yourself. I love you so much>>Believe51

Joan M 07-18-2008 02:27 PM

Sherry, Hopefully it's just a cyst. It's hard to predict the future, so don't kick yourself in the butt. I understand though how you feel but from a different perspective. In 2000 I had a full hysterectomy and then took Premarin for three years. Two days after going off the drug a mammogram showed two nodules in my right breast -- one DCIS and one infiltrating bc -- and I often think that the immediate menopause in combination with the Premarin initiated my bc growth, that it threw my immune system into a tailspin. Even though there was nothing wrong with my ovaries, I had them removed along with my uterus which had very large fibroids, because every medical professional was warning me about ovarian cancer, saying that if I removed the ovaries, I wouldn't have to worry about it every again. Yeah, well I guess that's true. But we never know what else can happen. I'm praying that everything will be okay. Best, Joan

Unregistered 07-18-2008 05:40 PM

Sherri,

I know that lobular breast cancer can metastasize to the ovaries, but I have never heard of IDC going there. I wouldn't worry too much, it sounds like it is a cyst.

Karen

StephN 07-18-2008 05:52 PM

My hope for you is that the PET activity is due to a cyst forming. Especially since it is in the "moderate" level.

I only know that my med onc told me that it is best to be cautious as once we have one cancer we are at a 30% higher risk of a second cancer. (This is in comparison to the general population.)

This is only a statistic, and I am glad you got such a quick appt with your gyn. Getting more docs in the loop will set you mind at ease sooner, I hope!

Mary Jo 07-19-2008 08:37 AM

Hi Sherry,

Dang.....another dreaded worry! I guess that's what I hate about PET/CT scans. All those false positives that can crop up.

I am praying and confident that it is just that ~ a false positive ~ and that this has absolutely nothing to do with cancer.

Sending prayers for peace,

Mary Jo

Unregistered 07-19-2008 08:58 AM

Sherry: it sure sounds like a cyst to me, too. An ultrasound can define it. Ovarian cysts are normal, come and go on their own. I think they are eggs that didn't drop, and so the ovary is sort of reabsorbing it (is that right?).
I had a PET/CT at dx that showed an ovarian cyst (and I was 52 at the time -- didn't think I was still ovulating). Just to be certain, the scan was followed up by an ovarian ultrasound, and that confirmed the cyst.
Linda

Jean 07-19-2008 11:16 AM

Sherry,
Don't kick yourself....I had asked three different GYO Dr. 's about this (as I was concerned myself) at this stage and age I certainly can do without my ovaries.
And if this makes you feel any better, even if you had them removed and one tiny cell is left behind...guess what?

All said "NO" so please relax a bit (easier said than done)...but I am sure it is not related.

Please let us know about your follow up.
All good wishes,
Jean

KathyH 07-19-2008 01:26 PM

Hi Sherry,
I'm sorry you have to face this new circumstance. I will hope and pray that this can be resolved with minimal stress and worry.

Blessings, Kathy H