HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Notes from Cancer Research Conference (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33516)

madubois63 04-14-2008 12:24 AM

Notes from Cancer Research Conference

From StephN:
This is a HUGE conference and the site is at least 8 blocks long. That means a lot of time on our feet!

There have been some interesting sessions that have information boding positive for the future of breast cancer. I trolled some of the big drug companies to see if there are any new drugs coming into trial that are about to open.
YES! Some exciting trial using more targeted therapies are about to open. More specific links and info to come.

More soon.

From Madubois63:
Steph is NOT kidding when she said the conference is HUGE!!! Yesterday, I spent the day getting lost trying to find some of the sessions that were going on, walking back and forth before finally finding the right rooms and still getting used to the time difference. at one of the sessions, I spoke up at the q&a about "US" and our desire to do something with our slides. Before long, Joe had an e-mail from a Dr that is very interested in us. Today was the day that the exhibits opened. Joe and Christine pretty much had everything set up by the time Steph and I got to the conference center. The exhibit hall opened up at 12, but people came in earlier. The were people from everywhere. we gave out mouse pads, brochures, pens and pins. Tiptoe and Tex came with us. They were sitting on the table and someone tried to take Tex. So we had to hide them under the table. They did come out for some pics, but mostly had to hide. Joe found a new companion, she's a chicken without a name as of yet. So now they are a trio. There were also several people that asked if I was the woman that spoke about the her2 slides. I'll collect all the info/contacts and pass it on, but I think something may come out of this. towards the end of the day, a man passing by saw our booth and mumbled that he named the gene. Steph immediately recognized that man's name on his tag. Prof. Dr. Axel Ullrich is the man that discovered and named the Her2neu gene and assisted on creating Herceptin. I cried and hugged him. I felt kind of silly getting so emotional, but I knew I was in the presence of a great man!!! we all talked for a bit and took pictures. You'll have to wait for the pics because I don't know where the editing tool to resize pics is on this stupid laptop. After we closed shop in the exhibit hall, Joe, Christine, Steph and I went to a session on Her2. The speaker was the other doc (Dr. Dennis Slamon) that created Herceptin. This was all very exciting for me. we had a great day. Joe and Christine went home, and Steph, Tiptoe, Tex and the chicken without a name and I all went out to dinner. Time for bed now, but more info to come....love to all!!!

Mary Anne in TX 04-14-2008 04:17 AM

You guys are wonderful! Thanks so much for the pictures by word of what's happening! Please keep it coming! It's like being there with you. ma

Joe 04-14-2008 06:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Christine, Stephanie, Maryann and the guy who invented Herceptin

Regards
Joe

Joe 04-14-2008 06:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The first photo is Dr. Lloyd-Jones who pioneered the 3 week Herceptin protocol.

The second Photo is Dr. Ullrich

Regards
Joe

mimiflower07 04-14-2008 07:15 AM

thanks you Joe for the pics...seeing how great everyone looks after knowing all that some of you have been through is a real inspiration.I hope this trip was not to exhausting.
thanks for all your hard work for us!!
suzanne

PinkGirl 04-14-2008 07:37 AM

Thank you so much to all of you for giving us these updates. It sounds so exciting - tiring but exhilerating at the same time. You are actually meeting all of these doctors and researchers who are only names to me.

An attempted kidnapping for ransom of poor little Tex. How
awful. I know you will shelter and protect the kids now
that this has happened.... as well as Chicken.

Please keep the updates and pictures coming. I can
feel your energy through the computer. Thanks for
doing this for all of us. Is Tippy too warm in her sweater???

Jean 04-14-2008 07:48 AM

Thank you both for updating us....yes, the walking is exhausting, we all had tired feet when in SA, I have to chuckle now when I think how poor Sheila and Becky tried to help me find shoes, my feet were killing me from the pairs I brought with me.

But it is exciting and when meeting these wonderful men/women
it is deeply moving...understand the emotion.

Sounds like you are all having a wonderful time.
Please give Joe and Christine a hug.

Kind Regards,
jean

Karen W 04-14-2008 08:34 AM

Reading your post filled me with so much hope.

Thank you.

Karen

Mgarr 04-14-2008 08:48 AM

Thanks for the positive notes on the conference. Enjoy!

Mar

caya 04-14-2008 08:49 AM

Thanks for the updates ladies and to Joe for posting the great pictures. It is exciting for us to see the "real" people who are the medical pioneers in the Her2/herceptin world. I hope these bright guys have more tricks up their Her2 sleeves so that the total cure is available to us all very soon.

all the best
caya

Patb 04-14-2008 03:20 PM

Thanks for all the pictures and updates about the conference. Enjoy
yourself and keep the news coming.
patb

StephN 04-14-2008 04:57 PM

Hello everyone -
I wish I had a camcorder going here! So many people from ALL over the world stop at the booth and want to talk about what is happening with HER2. They are very pleased to see REAL LIVE stage IV survivors who have benefitted from what has gone before.

The really exciting thing is to see how many people are working in labs on drug resistance. Especially with the resisitance that HER2 positive tumors can develop. There was even one young man who is already working on trying to figure out TYKERB resistance. The opening up and sharing is amazing even though we are not researchers. They want us to know that they KNOW the pitfalls of the drugs we have and are working on new generations.

I have run across more trials opening up in my wandering through this exhibition CAVERNOUS hall. Will post more on the trials section of this site when I am home.

This evening we are going to the Genentech reception at 7pm. The marketing people are not here, so we don't know who we will meet, but we have already spoken to some researchers from Genentech and will meet more.

Another exciting area I want to mention before I close is the research going on for monitoring our disease. There is a lot of work in developing more sensitive tests and imaging.

There is a line of people waiting for these computers that are here with the compliments of the conference organizers.

Ciao! for now!

Joan M 04-14-2008 05:13 PM

Thanks for sharing the photos and for being there.

Joan

Bill 04-14-2008 05:53 PM

Wow, thanks to all of you for the updates, and thanks, Joe for all of the great pictures. Someone tried to take Tex! I'm glad you guys reacted quickly and saved him. And I think it's really cool that now there's a chicken with no name in the group. "..been through the desert on a chicken with no name....."

swimangel72 04-14-2008 07:57 PM

Thanks soooo much for posting the pictures and updates! If it's exciting for me to read this, I can only imagine how exciting it is to BE THERE!! Keep posting - and enjoy yourselves!

juanita 04-14-2008 08:03 PM

Thanks for the pictures and the updates. I look forward to more of both!

Paty 04-14-2008 09:38 PM

Ladies,

You look so excited ant transmit so much energy through your words that I really envy (good envy of course!) you. Good for you girls!! Learn and enjoy, enjoy,
enjoy!!! it is sooo interested that you got to know the Drs. that developed herceptin. You are (and we all are too!) living proof of what they have developed. Thanks for the pictures and keep enjoying the event.

Soccermom 04-15-2008 05:02 PM

Dear Steph,Christine,Mayanne,and Joe,
Thank you so much for filling us in. I have been to few conferences and the air is always filled with excitement. (Plus they usually have some great give aways,LOL). I know you are all representing us well,THANK YOU! gIve those Her2 researchers a few hugs for us,
Marcia

harrie 04-16-2008 12:18 AM

WOW!!!! THANK YOU SO much for the updated information at the symposium!! I can feel the excitement just reading what you both had to tell us and I can feel the energy in your words!!!
Amazing and oh so awesome!!!!
Maryanne

IRENE FROM TAMPA 04-16-2008 10:42 AM

Thank you ALL so much

it is so great to ready and see pictures of what is going on there. It sounds so exciting to be able to be a part of all of this. I would love to make it to San Antonio this year if I could.

Thank you all again for being there for 'all of us" and keep those pictures coming.