HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Ouch! My fingertips are splitting. (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32817)

Marlys 02-27-2008 10:40 AM

Ouch! My fingertips are splitting.

Back in my early days here we all talked about the symptoms we had with Herceptin ie: "crusties, split fingertips and nails. Well, I finished Herceptin in July, 2006 and my fingers are killing me(not really). Has this happened to any of you? The only meds I'm taking that is cancer related is Arimidex. Any suggestions?
Love & hugs,
Marlys

PinkGirl 02-27-2008 10:45 AM

Hi Marlys
I finished Herceptin in January 2007.
My fingernails grow a little bit and then
they peel off. They are not brittle, they
are weak and thin. I thought they would
get back to "normal" by now.

Missyw 02-27-2008 01:39 PM

Hi Marlys,

I am on Herceptin (indefinite) and Arimidex. I too, had problems with my nails. (I know I hate to complain about something so trivial, but it was a pain). Anyway I recently tried a product called "Rejuvacote". I bought it online but I have since learned it is available at certain Bed Bath and Beyond stores. I am not sure why it has worked when nothing else made a difference, but it has helped. I also use Avonoplex (a cuticle oil) at bedtime. Neither product is very expensive so maybe they are worht a try. Good luck.

missy

MJo 02-27-2008 01:57 PM

Yes. When I was on Herceptin my nails were soft and breaking all the time. One year after Herceptin they are back to normal. Worst was A/C. My nails turned black. Ugh. All better now.

Esther 02-27-2008 07:30 PM

Try putting a good coating of bag balm on your hands and then slipping some cotton gloves on. This has helped women on Xeloda, which can also cause the fingertips to crack.

Marlys 02-28-2008 09:55 AM

Thanks everyone. I am off to the store for bag balm and Rejuvacoat. I am actually having to type this with the ring finger on my right hand because its the only one that doesn't hurt.
Love & hugs,
Marlys

PinkGirl 02-28-2008 11:04 AM

Sorry, I have to ask. Bag balm?????

Believe51 02-28-2008 11:16 AM

PinkGirl

This is a balm that they use for cows utters, it is amazing stuff and works wonders>>Believe51

Jeanette 02-28-2008 11:22 AM

Bag balm.

Believe51, I do think it's udders. Course I could be wrong., Hugs, jeanette

rinaina 02-28-2008 04:49 PM

I finished herceptin August 2007 and my fingernails and tips are just getting back in good shape so hang in there. Not sure about arimidex causing same with fingers.

Bill 02-28-2008 08:10 PM

Marly, wish I could help on this one, but all I can think of is Madge, soaking her fingers in Palmolive in that old commercial. Jeanette, I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Believe 51 was correct when she commented that they use the balm for "cow utters". Jeanette, I know you're from Scotland, so there is a little bit of a language barrier, but I can help. (I'm Stewart, wife, Clark/Moffat from Prestwick area) In the early days of cow-milking, which began in this country in central Idaho, the winters were very harsh and long. Like Canada, the cow farmers in Idaho had only one week of spring, which they usually scheduled for the last week of August. Anyhow, the winters were so cold, that when the early morning cow-milking was to be done, the mothers and fathers would roust their young sons out of bed to go do the milking, and then they would sleep in a few more hours before the morning potato-digging. Often, the young sons would "mutter" in their sleep, "what the heck, I was sound asleep, don't wanna go milk a cow, me hands is cracked and bleedin'" The father would grab his switch and whip 'em out of bed yelling "don't give me your cow-mutters again, boy!" "But, Papa, me hands!" Then the father would smear some salve onto the hands of his son's cracked and sore hands to ease the pain for the milking. "Now get to milkin' you, you lousy cow-mutterers!" Over the years, the expression was shortened to "cow-utterers", and decades later, the expression was shortened, yet again, to "cow utters" and it became a common term in this country to refer to a milker of cows as a "cow utter", early in the 1850's it became a common practice for a milk-rancher to line up his cow utters before dawn and apply a soothing balm to their hands before the day's milking. (This early morning practice of applying balm to the hands of early American potato-diggers failed, as the potatoes they tried to dig slipped from their hands too easily) So, you see, Jeanette, Believe was correct. Love ya, Bill

SoCalGal 02-28-2008 08:59 PM

Bill -
Utterly fantastic.
You "crack" me up - maybe I'll coat myself with some Bag bog. I bet it's good for faces (comma)too.

Jeanette 02-28-2008 09:29 PM

Udders

Have to respond to this one Bill. I may be from Scotland, but I speak perfectly good Queens English. No barrier there. A cow has 1 udder and four teats or nipples. a cows udder can hold 10.6 gallons of milk. You can do a search on this if you want. I guess we can all agree to disagree on this one, Blessings , Jeanette

PinkGirl 02-28-2008 09:37 PM

Thanks Jeanette,
Bill's explanation was utterly unbelievable.
Thanks for the clarification ... I knew there
was something wrong with his story.

Bill 02-28-2008 09:52 PM

uh oh

Have I done it again? Jeanette, I meant no offense. I know we Scots speak the perfect Queen's English. I was just trying to explain the colloquialism (sp?) of the colonial, known to us as, "Believe51". I was just trying to explain the origins of the term "cow utters", as discovered during my extensive researches into the history of milk-ranchers and their habits. I meant no harm. Bill

Catherine 02-28-2008 11:18 PM

Driving us udderly mad

Ok, picture this....my husband and I are in the same room....He keeps asking me why I am laughing. I am laughing so hard that I can not answer him. Finally he starts reading over my Irish shoulder and he laughs even louder. He wants to know if we should change the name from mad cow disease to the Udder Disease. Truth is, I thought I knew something about cow udders. My grandparents had a dairy and my father was one of the youngens that got rousted out of bed. Not sure when I first learned about bag balm, but it was a staple in our house. My mom put bag balm on any problem we had. Hey, Bill send us some of those potatoes maybe we can fuel our cars with them. Don't forget to send the cupcakes with the potatoes. Someone please tell Touseld about our Udder/Utter problem. Are two utters better than one?

Catherine

Marlys 02-29-2008 08:23 AM

How about Windex?

In the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" her father used windex to cure everything. I will try that. too. Incidentally Bill, in addition to 31 years as an O.R. Nurse, I spent 10 years in psychiatric nursing and, by God, I think you just might qualify for membership.
Love & hugs,
Marlys

Jeanette 02-29-2008 09:00 AM

udders

Bill, Bill, Bill. You silly man. You could never insult this old lady. I enjoy reading all your posts and get a chuckle out of them. But I am right about the dreaded udders. LOL Keep on posting and I will keep on correcting you if I see fit. Hehehe. Keeps the old mind alert you know. Love ya, jeanette

Lolly 02-29-2008 06:47 PM

OK, I'm throwing my 2 cents in! Believe it or not, there's another hand cream out there that's called "Udderly Smooth"....not as good as the old Bag Balm though, we too used it for everything in our house, ala the father in Greek Wedding!
Anyway Bill, you'll have to contact the company and tell them they got it wrong, it's supposed to be "Utterly Smooth"!

<3 Lolly

R.B. 03-03-2008 04:08 PM

Rather more mundane and my usual udderly boring bleat.

I have seen several references of omega 3s in the diet being good for cracked skin.

You could try it topically, I have seen suggestions it is absorbed. Any questions - just say wear wellington (gum) boots and say you have been fishing it is easier than explaining, unless you live in the middle of a city or plains in which case you will have to think of another excuse.

RB