HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Cancers Not Affected By Emotional Health (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32810)

Lolly 02-26-2008 10:14 PM

Cancers Not Affected By Emotional Health

Speaking for myself, I do have those "down days" sometimes, and it's a relief to know that evidence now shows it's not necessarily going to impact my survival!

Articles of Interest:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...414#post153414

Carol Carlson 02-27-2008 06:20 PM

Thank God.....
Carol

Mary Jo 02-27-2008 06:44 PM

Thanks for sharing this with us Lolly and it's nice to "see" you again. I love that happy picture.

Peace & Love from me to you...

Mary Jo

Marlys 02-28-2008 09:47 AM

Lolly,
I appreciate this post. Sometimes I think maybe I have stood in judgement of some of our sisters who are more "needy" emotionally than I am. I have felt that they were so negative that there was no way they were going to make it. I now believe that I was so wrong and this study reinforces my beliefs. However, I am so grateful that I have had the opportunity to grow since getting cancer because of the people here and in other aspects of my life. And most of all for my faith in a Higher Power in who's world nothing happens by mistake.
Love & hugs,
Marlys
Next time we come through Oregon on our way to the coast I would like to meet you in person!

Believe51 02-28-2008 10:48 AM

I did read the article....

I thank you Lolly for this post. In my opinion this study was too vague for me; only conducted with 1,000 people with mouth, tongue, throat cancers that DID NOT spread. As much as I think that this may be good news for us all, I must say that I would like to see more studies like this for ME to fully believe that this is the case. I know that it is a conjuction of many things that help him to survive and that his positivity helps the quality of life our lives. Like I said, I did like the post and I do want to believe, I just cannot take too much stock in it now. If you find anymore studies like this one please, please post, I am very interested in following this news. Either way I enjoy the positive aspects of our beings, negativity is poison to Ed and I.>>Believe51

THESE ARE ONLY MY OPINIONS MY FRIENDS!

PS: Remember girls, every day you are fighting this beast you are a survivor in my eyes.

janieR 02-28-2008 12:56 PM

I am having a down day. Yesterday was my 2 years cancerversary survival as I think you all call it. My lovely husband stuart has just been told he has a brain tumour, and you can imagine my emotion s right now.

PinkGirl 02-28-2008 01:42 PM

I find this topic to be very interesting.
I have always had an open mind but it is a somewhat analytical
open mind.

If an extremely positive person dies from
their cancer after 3 years, how do we know if he or
she may have died after 1 year if not for their positive
attitude? I don't think we will ever have the answers
to these questions.

I have difficulty dismissing the role of our immune
system in fighting disease and I believe that my
emotions affect my immune system. I don't think
any of our discussions have been about having one
or two "down" days. That's a given.

I know that we have some differing views about this
subject. Some have very strong beliefs - Andi comes
to mind with her interesting, passionate and enthusiastic
Threads. I am glad we can have these discussions. Thanks
Lolly.

Believe51 02-28-2008 02:08 PM

Janie.......

I am so happy to hear that it is your 2 year cancerversary, kudos to you. And I wanted to express how hearing the news of your husband's health has sent you for a loop. Brain cancer & brain tumors run in my family and my husband has had breast cancer brain mets so I can feel your despair. Nothing I can say will ease the feelings you are going through right now but I hope I have atleast tried to make you feel you are not alone. You are never alone. Wish I could give you a hug right now. Keep us posted on hubby. Prayers for you both today>>Believe51

chrisy 02-28-2008 02:31 PM

Hmmm...
True, one study does not constitute "proof" of anything - it is another interesting data point. But in one of the articles I thought I saw the researcher quoted as saying "the big advantage was that so many people died" (646 of >1000 in the study whose cancer had not "yet" spread). He sounded a little too excited about that LOL!

PinkGirl 02-28-2008 02:42 PM

I missed that Chrisy - thanks for pointing it out.
The high number of deaths (646 out of 1000+) gave
the "work considerable strength". I'm glad the researchers
were happy about all the deaths ...

Also, the assessments were done from questionnaires.
I'm not sure how accurate I would be describing my
own state of mind. Better to ask my husband :)

Lolly 02-28-2008 05:52 PM

Yikes, I missed that little nugget of data also, thanks Chrisy. It does seem that researchers are often a bit too removed from the reality of their subjects, but I felt this was important research and wanted to bring it up here. I do appreciate the many positive posts from survivors and feel it's all part of the whole.

Janie, I'm sorry about your double whammy, it's a hard time for you right now, but we're here if you need us.

<3 Lolly

MJo 02-29-2008 07:53 AM

This is happy news for me, since I've struggled for emotional health at different times in my life.

Janie--As Lolly said, we are here. It's a shock to go from a patient/survivor to family member of someone who is ill. Could the tumor be benign? Sending good thoughts your way.

janieR 02-29-2008 01:14 PM

Thank you so much for your support, it has meant the world to me. I dont feel so alone now. My lovely husband Stuart says thank you too.

harrie 03-02-2008 12:53 AM

I believe stress has a significant impact on the immune system and many times I think emotions can go along with the stress. I don't feel there is much harm in the "acute" stress that happens when crisis arises, but I believe there is a direct corrolation between long-term chronic stress and the immune system.
Harrie