HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   TCH - T for taxol (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32771)

JenniferAlice 02-24-2008 07:33 PM

TCH - T for taxol

Does anyone know if you are on TCH with Taxol instead of Taxotere - does that mean you do not have to take the pre-med steriods for fluid retention?

Thx-
Jennifer

Sheila 02-25-2008 05:20 AM

Jennifer
If its Taxol, I would say you need the steroids...the chance of an allergic reaction (and a bad one) is quite high due to the cremaphor it is made with. Some Dr's do pills only, some do IV steroids, some do both. I believe Abraxana is the only Taxane that does not require steroids as a pre med, but it is generally not approved by most insurances unless you have failed on another taxane, due to cost.

BethC 02-25-2008 06:34 AM

I was told that the steroids also helped with the nausea from the chemo. In fact, they increased mine after the first treatment and it helped a lot. Good luck!

Mary Anne in TX 02-25-2008 06:47 AM

While the steroids kept me up all night, I appreciated them. I had a really bad reaction to Taxol one time and was so grateful for the additional steroids given! I just planned my day around not sleeping that night!!!!! I did get tons done! Good luck! ma

KellyA 02-25-2008 06:54 AM

Hi there. I was on Taxol and talked my doc into reducing the steroid a little because I was starting to really put some weight on. He was concerned, but cautiously began reducing to dose with each visit (I went weekly for Taxol). We had the steroids cut in half by the 6th dose. On my 9th dose, I had an instant severe reaction and the crash cart came out. Very scary. My onc immdiately moved the dose back up (of course I blew up like a blimp after that). Anyways, it opened my eyes as to just how serious these drugs are and that they cannot be taken lightly. Other than the extra pounds, the steriods weren't a problem at all. They actually gave me alot of energy and made me feel a little better. My hubby had to ask the doctor to up my Benadryl (to knock me out) because I wouldn't shut up for 24 hours after my treatments!!!!! :-)

Love, Kelly

Lolly 02-25-2008 02:16 PM

I'm getting Taxol along with Avastin/Carbo, and am getting IV Dexamethasone (generic for Decadron) plus Benedryl and Zofran for pre-meds. Have been on this protocole since December, and haven't gained any weight(does it count that I'm already overweight? :) ), and as Kelly says I actually feel better for most of the week since starting this combo. I also haven't had any naseau.

<3 Lolly

JenniferAlice 03-02-2008 07:52 PM

Thanks you all for you thoughts. Finally got through my first treatment. Took about 5 or 6 days to start feeling better. Rough but doable.

Thanks for giving me a better perspective on the steriods.

Jennifer

tousled1 03-03-2008 12:47 AM

Jennifer,

I was on TCH (Taxol) and my premeds were an IV ush of Aloxi for nauseau, decadron, benydryl and tagamet. I also had received Taxatore and had to have the decadron as a premed with that. I found the TCH (Taxol) much easier to tolerate than the Taxatore.