HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   PET Scan (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32714)

Patty F 02-20-2008 01:27 PM

PET Scan

After my mastectomy 3 weeks ago my surgeon ordered a PET Scan for me. Today was my appointment. I got about a foot into the machine and I had a panic attack. Yes I am afraid of the machine. So I came home and called my surgeon and asked if he could give me something for my nerves. He said NO. So tomorrow I see my oncologist and I am going to ask him for something. I can't believe that the surgeon said no. I was so mad at him.

Sorry I am just venting here.

Sheila 02-20-2008 01:37 PM

Patty
As long as you have someone to drive you home, they can give you an Ativan....ask your oncologist.....demand it, there is no reason to feel claustrophobic on top of all the other BS we endure.....they always ask me before the MRI.....I laugh, like I could drive in Chicago traffic after that!. Make sure the onc. writes the order, get it filled and take it 1 hour prior with a sip of water.

PinkGirl 02-20-2008 01:39 PM

Hi Patty
I can so relate to this. It is very common
to have panic attacks inside these "tunnel" machines.

I "over" drugged myself for an MRI but I'd do it again
in a heartbeat - as long as you have someone with
you to get you home safe and sound, take whatever
you need to get through it.

I took 2 ativan and 2 benedryl and they could have
left me inside that thing forever. I was happy as a
clam. But I now have no memory of anything that
happened that day. Who cares?

Your family doc or your oncologist will give you some
"happy" pills to take. You are not alone on this one -
lots of people can't handle those tests.

MJo 02-20-2008 02:28 PM

The goal is to get you that scan. I can't believe the surgeon said no. For crying out loud, he could have prescribed one pill if he's conservative about anti-anxiety meds. Shame on him.

caya 02-20-2008 04:34 PM

Patty -

It's 2 ativan for me before an MRI - couldn't do it without 'em!!

all the best
caya

Hazel Joyce 02-20-2008 04:57 PM

I take Ativan 0.5 mg and Benadryl 25 mg an hour before any kind of scan or MRI. (I had my eighth MUGA scan last week.) A blindfold helps a lot, too, in an enclosed place.

I hate the injection more than anything, though.

You'll be fine with medication. Good luck!

Bill 02-20-2008 05:34 PM

I agree with the Ladies here, Patty, you're not just venting, and it shouldn't be any problem at all to get an Ativan or something. Good Luck, Bill

Mary Jo 02-20-2008 06:00 PM

Before both of my PET/CT scans valium was ordered and I never even asked. I am not claustrophic and I suppose could have done the test but geez, especially after initial diagnosis when I had my first one I was so anxious, nervous, depressed and didn't know what to expect I truly appreciated those valiums. As a matter of fact they said "we'll give you 2 because you are so nervous" and boy did I love those valium. I remember that I felt so happy and calm and truly loved the feeling (this was 2 weeks after diagnosis and trust me I hadn't felt happy OR calm once in those 2 weeks)

So, Patty, you go for it girlfriend..............and kick that surgeon of yours to the curb. Geez, does the guy have a heart......obviously not.

Sending love and hugs your way,

Mary Jo

jones7676 02-20-2008 11:10 PM

I cannot fathom why your doctor would refuse to give you something for your scan. I have never asked for anything and I actually tolerate the scan quite well but I'm given a scrip for Ativan every time. Your complaint is valid, make them give you something to relax you.

SoCalGal 02-21-2008 08:26 PM

Hi Patty -
For sure on the Ativan. It is a great drug - takes the edge off anxiety and is has anti nausea properties as well. Just want to say that I also DO NOT like these machines - BUT I'd take a PET to an MRI any day. The PET is quiet and quick. The MRI is banging loud and I can't hear myself think or breathe so be glad you can do the PET scan.

Think of all of us on this site sending you protective and calming energy - that is how I got thru my gamma guns.

Flori

goops 02-21-2008 09:11 PM

I didn't think the pet scan would bother me but I felt anxious when I was in it - I made it through but I hoped I would never need another one.

I can't believe that the doctor wouldn't give you anything - cancer patients go through enough, doctors should do their best to make us as comfortable as possible.

Ceesun 02-22-2008 07:49 AM

That was really counter-productive on the part of your surgeon, but I know they can be that way sometimes, Your onc. should be able to prescribe something to take the edge off. Good Luck, Ceesun

Joan M 02-25-2008 07:50 PM

Patty, I'm sorry to hear about your awful experience and the insensitivity of your surgeon. Vent all you want!

When I have scans, I take a .5 Ativan the night before and since my PET scans have been early in the morning, I take another .5 pill just before leaving for the test. My the time I sit in the quiet room for about 50 minutes and then go into the scan room, I'm pretty mellow.

Joan