HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Spring is Just Around the Corner (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32674)

Joe 02-17-2008 11:25 AM

Spring is Just Around the Corner

And I am sure that because of the unusual weather recently, nerves are a bit frayed. I am referring to the "Kick the Bucket" post. We are an international organization and have logged visitors from over 100 different countries. Phrases have different meanings in other countries and interpretations even differ in various parts of this country.

It is time to loosen up a bit. Someone mentioned that the quantity of posts has declined recently. I have noticed it also. Yet traffic to our website has increased. I certainly hope that these petty criticisms did not lead to members fearing intimidation for posting "offensive" phrases.

Fifteen years ago, my brother, George, retired and moved to West Virginia where he purchased 86 acres of property. Several months later a mutual friend inquired how George was doing and I mentioned that he had "bought the farm". The response was: "I am so sorry to hear that, he was so young!" . I realized my mistake in choice of words and roared in laughter.

Please, lets lighten up.

Regards
Joe

lilyecuadorian 02-17-2008 12:19 PM

OK ....how about me ...english my second language ....I got to be super-carefully ...please when I mistaken please forgive in advance ....I notice too about less people posting ....I always thinking about the first time when I find out about this site ...every-single comment matters..is important ....so please post post ....thanks Joe for bring us together ...and keep the spirit up....

Hopeful 02-17-2008 12:44 PM

Joe,

Amen!

Hopeful

Mary Jo 02-17-2008 01:04 PM

Thanks Joe for the reminder about "spring being just around the corner." I live in WI and we've gotten upwards of 75 inches of snow so far this winter. Today it is raining - we have flooding and this afternoon all the rain is suppose to change over to snow. Lots of it!! Yep, nerves are coming undone BUT trying to stay focused and positive - hey, it's life and as the saying goes............................

"ain't life a beach....." or something to the effect!!! Hahaha!

Keep smiling folks...........................

Mary Jo

Believe51 02-18-2008 01:30 PM

Shhhhhh!!

Joe, we do not want to let Bill hear this news about "Spring being around the corner!!!" That is all we need to get him going again!! (Love you Bill..Tehehe!!) LOL>>Believe51

StephN 02-18-2008 02:06 PM

Looks like SPRING here!

Actually, I just wanted to thank Joe for showing us he is looking in on us no matter HOW busy he is.

I think our CHOICES OF WORDS is very important. Most of us are not in so fragile a state that we won't understand what is meant by a more off the wall phrase or personal polite humor.

There are TOOLS here where we can address each other by personal message to express a concern on a post before getting even a small ruckus started.

As Joe mentions there are thousands of people who visit this site for just as many reasons. Not everyone reads each thread or post. Who has time? Or the need?

There are various kinds of support and it all works together giving this site meaning to so many. I am thankful for the wonderful people I have met through this site, propellerheads and ALL!

Bill 02-18-2008 05:53 PM

Thanks, Joe for the post. (Marie, I'm just biding my time, waiting for Pinkie to post, then I'm going to "spring" into action again, bruhahaha!)

chrisy 02-18-2008 06:24 PM

OK Lily,

PinkGirl always asks ME this...

What's in that glass? looks like you are VERY relaxed!

Lolly 02-18-2008 07:05 PM

We have had spring like weather here in Oregon the last few days, actually had SUNSHINE for whole days rather than the sun peeking out for a few minutes!

I didn't think the post mentioned was offensive, but that's just me. And, although
I'm not as actively posting as before, it's only because of being busy....I get on here everyday and read all the posts, then try to answer a few but don't always have time. It's such a great site, and yes, more visitors than ever before which makes me happy for all of us. Some like to "lurk" awhile before posting, and so it's always good to be sensitive when responding to a general post with personal comments.

<3 Lolly

duga35 02-18-2008 07:08 PM

We have had a lot of snow today, and spring sounds pretty good to me right now:)

I don't post much, but I am guilty of lurking. I promise to do better!

Catherine 02-18-2008 10:06 PM

Lurking and Laughing

Ok, you caught me. Lots of time I do not post, because I am in a hurry and do not have time to choose my words carefully. I have always appreciated the humor and the fun on this site. When I felt like "crap" (hope that is not offensive), I could always come to the site and find a caring ear and pick up a little humor.

I am all for the lighten up approach. Just like the mayo Lite that I try and eat now.

We need each other and we need to take everything with a grain of salt. I

That's my two cents. Hugs to all, Catherine

hutchibk 02-18-2008 10:19 PM

Somehow I miss out on all the ruckus...

But, I will offer this sage Oscar Wilde quote, which I love and which might apply: "Life is too important to be taken seriously".

I agree with the grain of salt theory, wholeheartedly!

lilyecuadorian 02-18-2008 10:20 PM

Chrisy ....that picture is in Ecuador a week ago ...and is water only ...I was try to get some vitamins D3 but "la niƱa" was all the time present raining raining and raining except for that day ......and I was very relaxed without a cell phone ...what a luxury he he he

weezie1053 02-19-2008 10:15 PM

I too am guilty of doing more lurking lately. While on chemo and then Herceptin, I spent many a sleepless nights learning and listening from the experiences of so many who opened up the hearts and souls to help others, including me. Now that I am one of the fortunate ones to have completed chemo and Herceptin, I fight to stay awake whereas I use to fight to get a night's sleep due to the chemo. I am back to working full-time because "I can." I am also raising my 6-year old grandson due to my daughter's own illness/recovery with addiction. The downside is that I miss being a part of such a strong group of individuals who give so unselfishly.

Insofar as jumping on a raw nerve every now and then, I compare the differences of opinion to sisterhood. I have three sisters. Yes, occasionally, we jump on each others frassled nerves, but it doesn't mean we don't care for each other. Sisters are very free with opinions...some welcomed...some unwelcomed. I am glad to be a part of this sisterhood (including Bill, Joe and others).

My Yankee Catholic mother was a civil rightist way before her time (in the 50's), and she use to tell us, "If we were all alike what a boring world it would be."

Joe, thank you for never allowing us to be bored.

Love,

Louise

Bill 02-20-2008 05:59 PM

Weezie, good point. You reminded me of something I read somewhere, in a business context (and supported by similar words from Becky to me),"If two partners in a business always agree, then one of them is not necessary" Love, Bill This is the official end of my post. Goodbye for now.

(Hey, Joe, just wanted to thank you again for backing me up on the spring is right around the corner thing. I think they bought it from you. As per our agreement, I'll be shipping you those lobsters right away,.....but there may be a "slight" delay....not much of one really,,,,but,uh, a bad winter storm is heading my way, surely nothing to worry about, just snow and ice and such, but the lobs. will be shipped as soon as I can dig free. Thanks, Bill)

Adriana Mangus 02-20-2008 10:55 PM

Thanks for posting

I haven't been on in a long time due to my husband's stroke.

Have no idea something had been going on regarding member's postings.

One must be careful not to offend anyone, but I believe everyone is free
to express themselves, regardless of "feelings". This is an excellent organization that you can come to and obtain information, support and the latest on cancer treatments.

Just like Joe said, everything starts with respecting each other. If we do not agree with someone's posting, we can always put in our two cents without being offensive or disrespectful. And that's it, after that let it go....no bickering, no sarcasm, nothing ugly.

After all we are here just once, make it right, be nice to each other, please.

Believe51 02-21-2008 12:56 PM

Bill....

....You are so silly. Thanks for being you>>Believe51

MJo 02-22-2008 01:52 PM

The kick the bucket post didn't offend me. In fact, I smiled, since I had just seen a review of the movie The Bucket List. I probably offended someone when I used the sentence "We are all above ground today" in one of my posts. Among my BC survivor acquaintances, about four of us have made the comment that "we are going to stay above the ground." How can I know if humor I use around other survivors in person will offend someone here? A little tolerance is needed.

Bill 02-22-2008 06:06 PM

So true, my little cupcake. Next time I sail my yacht up to Delaware, I'll call ahead and pick you up and sail you straight to the nearest cupcake store, where you can pick out any one you want, on me. Love, Bill

hutchibk 02-22-2008 06:47 PM

Yes ma'am, MJo! I concur.

http://dying.about.com/od/deathlangu...deathslang.htm