HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   eye exam (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32375)

BonnieR 01-26-2008 10:18 PM

eye exam

just a quick question.....is there any time frame in which one should avoid getting an eye exam in relation to chemo/Herceptin treatment? I missed my annual exam last year when I got preoccupied with surgery and chemo. I really feel like my vision needs attention. But I wonder how much is related to treatment and if I should wait? If it would be invalid to get an exam right now.....thanks....

Susan 01-27-2008 05:00 AM

Hi: My vision really changed during chemo, and the year following. I was told by my eye doctor to wait 6 months after I was finished for my exam. It did seem to get better after finishing herceptin too. There were some days where it was scary to drive, because of my eyes were so blurry. I never get that anymore. It must have been the drugs.
Sue

Yorkiegirl 01-27-2008 07:52 AM

With me after I finished Chemo, then I started on my year of Herceptin, when that was done I waited for almost a year to have my eyes checked.

They did change some, but not as much as I thought they had.

Joannie 01-27-2008 08:50 AM

Bonnie:
My eye doctor recommended I wait 6 months after chemo. My vision was quite blurry but did get some better in 6 months.

KellyA 01-27-2008 09:40 AM

Hi Bonnie,

I waited for a year after completing chemo and about two months after finishing Herceptin. I am not sure if I waited long enough or not- my vision had changed dramatically and my prescription almost doubled. My doc said that the tearing mechanism gets a little out of whack and that sometimes it corrects itself and sometimes not. Even with the new lenses, I find that things go blurry sometimes and I have to blink several times to readjust. I also seem to have periods where my vision gets a little worse and then gets better. Don't know if this has helped you or not- :-)

Love, Kelly

BonnieR 01-27-2008 10:06 AM

well, what I am hearing so far is that I am having my exam too soon.. I only stopped chemo Oct and am still on Herceptin for several months. But my vision is really compromised and I was hoping for some improvement with new lenses....maybe not....

Susan66 01-27-2008 10:34 AM

I'm glad you brought this up...I'm on herceptin now, 6 months since chemo and also on tamox. I'm extremely nearsighted anyway with corrective lens powers to 10 in both eyes but in the last few months, I feel like I can't see. I especially notice on street signs. Been back to eye doc twice but still not better. So, going to mention to onc in February at next visit and see what the heck is going on.

BonnieR 01-27-2008 10:54 AM

Susan, I am glad I brought it up too! I am glad I'm not alone.
What did your eye doc have to say about the situation?
I will check with my onc tomorrow, too, and get back to you.

hutchibk 01-27-2008 09:49 PM

I am starting to realize that we should wait 6 months after chemo for everything 'normal' in life... LOL. Eyes, teeth, hair color, etc...

harrie 01-27-2008 09:51 PM

I just finished my last herceptin and I had my annual eye exam just prior to my last treatment. My vision changed VERY little from one yr ago which was before chemo and herceptin.

Bonnie, my husband, an optometrist, said it will not invalidate your eye exam to get it examined now.

For those on Tamoxifen, he said it is a very good idea to get it examined before taking Tamoxifen and then to be checked regularly while on because that medication may cause physiological problems to eyes. Rare, but can happen.

BonnieR 01-27-2008 10:00 PM

Thanks Maryanne. Your husband too.
I know I have postponed my exam by a year just because the cancer happened and I kind of forgot everything else! And I was noticing changes back then. So I would like a checkup, even if I require another one later......

harrie 01-27-2008 10:18 PM

Bonnie, I think that is a very safe thing to do. Plus keep in mind that not only does an eye exam check your vision but the eye health is just as if not more important.
Maryanne