HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hair Started Falling Out On New Years Eve (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31962)

LOPSIDED 01-01-2008 08:36 AM

Hair Started Falling Out On New Years Eve

Well Its Been 2 Weeks Since My First Ixabepilone (ixempra) Treatment And My Scalp Is Tingling All Over And The Hair Started Coming Out On New Years Eve. The Nurses Had Told Me It Might Not Come Out With This Treatment. They Said Two Other Patients That Were On This Chemo Still Had Their Hair. Anyway I Guess I Will Shave It Off Sometime This Week. I Am Suppose To Start Tykerb After Ixabepilone----Do You Think My Hair Will Start Growing Back On Tykerb?

AlaskaAngel 01-02-2008 12:21 AM

Hi Sheila,

I can't answer your question but would just hope so since neither trastuzumab or lapatinib function in a way that causes hair loss. Hope the Ixempra whops the snot out of the cancer since it seems to have whopped the hair. I'm glad it is winter so that wearing a hat or scarf is a bit easier, but sorry you are facing hair loss again.

Sincerely,

AlaskaAngel

Mary Jo 01-02-2008 05:53 AM

Hi Sheila,

Hope you're handling your hair-loss alright. I remember just waiting and waiting for that day as that was a bigger deal to me than anything.

You'll do fine and I bet you look wonderful.

Just wanting to send a hug and a bit on encouragment your way. Stay strong!!

God's Peace to you,

Mary Jo

michka 01-02-2008 06:26 AM

Hi Sheila,
I am so sorry you have to go through that again. We all know it is temporary but it is like an extra punishment. I just kept thinking, each time I looked at myself, that the chemo was going through every part of my body and therefore was going after those "x!%!?" cancer cells. This new chemo did good for some on this site so I hope it will do the same for you.
I am on Tykerb alone. I noticed no change about my hair.
I am thinking of you.
Michka

Sheila 01-02-2008 06:59 AM

Sheila
I can sympathize with you...mine is slowly coming back, even while on Taxol, but my eyebrows seem to have disappeared...as hard as it is, we know its a small price to pay for the meds kicking butt!
'I am sure you look wonderful!
Love and Hugs
the other Sheila

LOPSIDED 01-02-2008 12:09 PM

Okay, I Shaved My Hair Off Last Nite. It Was Not As Scary As The First Time. I Have A Cute Wig & Still Have My Hats & Scarves. It Has Been About A Year & A Half Since I Lost My Hair The First Round. I Think What Worries Me The Most Is I'm Afraid I May Never Get A Break From Chemo Long Enough To Grow My Hair Again. I Know, No Use Worry About Things We Can't Control.

DonnaD 01-02-2008 08:01 PM

Hoping this new treatment will kick butt and your hair will grow soon. I just put my wig away. I thought if I ever have to go through this again I will be ready and know what to expect.

Like Sheila my eyebrows and eyelashes are barely there. Perhaps they will return and maybe not, no big deal!

Thinking of you brave girl. Fight on!
Donna

Lolly 01-03-2008 01:14 PM

I can sympathize! I've been pretty much hairless since last summer when I had to shave it after Taxotere made it start falling out...Now on my current combo it's starting to grow again, whoohoo!
When I was on Tykerb, I didn't notice significant hair loss, just some thinning maybe.

<3 Lolly

tousled1 01-03-2008 02:26 PM

I feel your pain -- this is the second time I've lost my hair. Just when my eyebrows/lashes started growing back - WHAM - bald again! At least we save money on hair care products.

kareneg 01-03-2008 03:59 PM

Dear Sheila,

I also know all to well how you feel this is my fourth time losing my hair and to tell you the truth it was the easiest for me. I pray this treatment kick cancer's butt!!!!!!! Although my hair is growing again I have a cat scan tomorrow and will see the doctor on Monday and I may be going on the same treatment as you. So I guess this will be the fifth time I lose my hair, but in the big picture being here is alot more important,( but it still is not fair ) Keep your spirits up my friend!