HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   First Serum Test Today (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31466)

Emelie 12-05-2007 08:35 AM

First Serum Test Today

Hi everyone,
Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to listen and respond to my ailments! I truely don't know who I would tell about this stuff since we are so new to Denver. My poor husband is great, but I know he gets as tired of listening to me as I get of telling him.
I go in for my first 3 month check-up today and my onc wants to start Her2 serum testing. I am not sure how I feel about that?
As for my shoulder, the MRI confirmed it is a ligament problem, no mets, and I have an appt. on Fri. with an ortho guy. Still don't know what is up with the feet. X-rays were fine. Will ask onc. if she knows.
So here I go for my first check. I know all will go well, as I am so looking forward to having all 3 of my kids, and daughter in-law here for the holidays. Hopefully, I will be strong enough to hit the slopes!
Have a great day everyone,
Emelie

Joe 12-05-2007 08:53 AM

Emelie,

The HER2/neu serum test is the only test specificly designed for women who are HER2 positive. It is a simple blood test and is designed to monitor your progress while being treated.

There is much information about this test on our Tests and Treatments page:
http://her2support.org/index.php?opt...d=42&Itemid=64

Regards
Joe

nitewind 12-05-2007 09:20 AM

What is one to do when your oncologist says the test isn't needed? I'm almost finished with my year of herceptin (Friday,7th). If you're not tested, how can you know what's going on? Sometimes I feel like I'm in the dark a lot!

Mary Anne in TX 12-05-2007 11:25 AM

Makes ya want to ask the doc if he thinks the most recent study infor. is not valid!!!!! Why don't they let patients run the world??? Oh, well, maybe just a persistent "push" would do instead!

eric 12-05-2007 06:56 PM

Joe

I never took the time to look thru the section you mention. Great stuff! Thank you. Caryn's Onc doesn't believe in the test but I will bring it up again as a way of qualifying her Her2 status since I've wondered about her status changing since she hasn't recently responded to Herceptin ot Tykerb.

tousled1 12-05-2007 08:48 PM

Since I started Herceptin my oncologist has done the HER2 serum test every 12 weeks. Tumor marker tests have proved to be extremely unreliable for me where as the HER2 serum test is the indicator that told me something was going on -- I had developed mets. I'm not sure if they use it for early breast cancer but it is FDA approved for metastic cancer patients.

Chelee 12-05-2007 09:51 PM

Emelie, I am happy to here of your MRI results on the shoulder...that has to be a relief. I asked my onc about doing the Her2 serum test. I just got this blank look and then a "no, we don't do that".

I sure wish my onc would offer to run this test on me. Maybe since yours is bringing it up...soon they all will be. (wishful thinking on my part.) :) But you have to do what your comfortable with..we are all different. I want to use all tools that are available to be. I've heard from several women where the her2 serum test has been much more reilable then tumor markers as Kate said. I know it might be a bit stressful for you...but I would welcome it. Good luck regardless of what you decide.

Chelee

dhealey 12-06-2007 05:29 AM

My onc does nodt do the test either, but the family practicioner I work for (also treats me for thyroid and BP problem) ordered the test and my insurance paid for it. The doc I work for also ordered a PET scan since my onc wouldn't, insurance paid for that too. So I will be having these test done routinely, but ordered through the doc I work for. Sometimes you have to go around the system to take care of your health. Don't get me wrong I like my onc, she just doesn't believe in testing until symptoms appear. I think if you are her2 positive, these tests must be done routinely as our cancer is more aggressive. If caught early things can be kept in check. Doc I work for believes this also.

Cathya 12-06-2007 05:51 PM

Debbie;

I totally agree with you. I pay for this test myself as it is not offered in Canada and I feel comforted by doing so.

Cathy

Lolly 12-07-2007 06:06 PM

Here's a link to a discussion on this site earlier this year, with Dr. Walt Carney, who helped develop the Her2 Serum Test. It's interesting, but want to point out that in one of his responses he says the Serum test is NOT used to indicate Her2 status. However, the test IS useful if one's tissue originally tested negative for Her2, as an elevated Serum level would indicate the test was possibly a false-negative and the tissue should be retested or a biopsy done.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ht=walt+carney
"...The serum HER-2/neu test is cleared by the FDA for monitoring blood levels of the HER-2/neu protein in women with metastatic breast cancer. So it is indicated for patients with metastatic breast cancer. Studies have looked at patients who have received a variety of therapies including hormone therapy. The test is indicated in patients with metastatic breast cancer, regardless of treatment and is valuable in monitoring changes in serum HER-2/neu levels. Increasing serum HER-2/neu levels reflect progression and decreasing levels reflect response to therapy. Having values below 15 ng/ml only tells us that the number is normal, it doesn’t tell us if you are HER-2/neu positive..."

<3 Lolly