HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Am I stage 3c or 4 (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31171)

Cathya 11-17-2007 04:28 PM

Am I stage 3c or 4

This is a silly thing to worry about really and I do know this!! I have always told myself and others that I am stage 3c (because of tumor to supraclavicular node). However my onc and always said....very kindly and softly....that I have metatastic disease. During my last visit he told me that he had presented my case to his group at the hospital because he was debating putting me back on herceptin. My tumor markers were raising....serum her2....CT's were clear (no PET scans in Ontario) but he worried because of my heart. Apparently the expert said that I should be on herceptin and not to forget I was metatastic. Later.....when I got home I suddenly thought....my god....I'm not stage 3c...I'm 4....that's what they mean. Now....I'm ok and feeling a little foolish actually. I'm alive so who cares....but I feel like I need to know and perhaps now I'm ready to know...three years out.....am I 3c or 4?

Bless you all,

Cathy

jml 11-17-2007 07:24 PM

Hi~
It's my understanding that mets to supraclavicular nodes constitute "regional" metastasis vs. "distal" to lungs, liver, bones, braint etc.
At this point, it seems like a matter of semantics. The important thing is, as you said, you're alive & that's what counts.

I'm Stage IV...have been since my primary dx w/liver mets. I had a liver resection ~2yrs ago & that solved the liver met problems, but recently PET scans showed 2 supraclavicular nodes acting up.
I just had my 85th chemo yesterday.I find dealing w/a couple of supraclavicular nodes to feel far less threatening & scary than liver mets.

Regardless of your stage, each times this disease rears is ugly head, our job is to beat it back...again & again & again...until there's a cure!

Keep the Faith~

swanky 11-17-2007 09:40 PM

My onc stressed the words 'LOCAL RECURRENCE'...I choose to believe I am stage 3C. No screw that! I am choosing to believe I am a 1! LOL

Joanne S 11-17-2007 11:08 PM

Swanky,

I'm curious, in September,2006 when you were first diagnosed what size was the solid IDC? It doesn't sound like Stage 3c.

Sorry to hear of your recurrence. Please excuse my ignorance---can the neck lymph node and spot above your expander be surgically removed? If not, why?

I hope the 'thisbetterf*ckingwork' pills' will work very f___ing well for you

Click: Staging Explained

Best well wishes to you,

Joanne S 11-18-2007 03:16 AM

Cathya,
Click: Staging Explained

Cathya 11-18-2007 07:09 AM

Thank you for your responses. I think I am 3c after all. I know it sounds stupid but I am relieved. I think there have been other things going on for me and this is a boost I needed. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!!

Love to all

Cathy