HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   I am freaking out!!!!!! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30958)

~Bellydancer~ 11-04-2007 10:41 AM

I am freaking out!!!!!!

I guess I was happier being ignorant about this adventure called cancer. I just assumed that I would have my surgery and take some heavy duty chemo and be done with it. Now I am reading that since I am HER2 pos that the journey has just begun. Metastasis in other area???? No one talked about this. OMG, OMG, OMG!!!! I don't know what to think now. the wait for the oncologist is too long and I want to know now what is going to happen.

Joe 11-04-2007 11:19 AM

Michelle,

Take a deep breath and relax. The side effects of the drugs given for HER2 positive patients are less severe. In all likelyhood initially you will be treated with a taxane and Herceptin.

Herceptin has few side effects and is very tolerable. Taxanes on the other hand do have side effects but generally are only administered for the first few months.

Side effects from Taxanes:

The taxanes Taxol and Abraxane can cause more discomfort in the hands and feet from nerve damage than Taxotere. This can be temporary or permanent. Your doctor may refer to this as neuropathy. Lowering the dosage of Abraxane improves the neuropathy in most women.
Taxotere has also been found to irritate tear ducts and cause excess tearing. If it persists and bothers you, it can usually be treated by inserting tiny silicone tubes into the "pipes" that drain the tears.

Please feel free to post any questions or concerns that you have here.

Regards
Joe

Sheila 11-04-2007 12:25 PM

Michelle
Things have changed dramatically in the last couple of years, and I feel it is almost beneficial to be Her2 Positive now...more and more research and trials are being done....as with any cancer, there is always a chance of recurrence, with chemo, without, with radiation, without, with mastectomy, with lumpectomy...no one knows why some recurr and others don't...you will get hHerceptin, which will drastically reduce the chances...you cannot live your life in fear, just be aware of your body and changes, there are many of us on this board living with recurrences, and I for plan plan to continue doing just that. Ask questions, knowledge will help to calm your fears...you must enjoy life!

cafe1084 11-04-2007 06:17 PM

I did the same exact thing you are doing now....I panicked, especially when I researched her2. I truly believed I'd been handed a death sentence, but most patients with cancer do. Sheila is right, though. Things have changed, although many sites haven't updated since the addition of herceptin for her2 BC treatment. It's a daily battle throughout surgery and therapy to keep your head on straight, but you have to focus more now than ever to get through this. It is definitely not a picnic in the park, so muster all the strength you have and fight this from Day 1 with courage and knowledge. That doesn't mean to imply you're not allowed to have moments when you feel you can't go on. Those are the moments when your, family or your friends, or sometimes a stranger, will get you through. So surround yourself with love and support and positive ideas. There IS light at the end of the tunnel ;)

All the best be with you!
Steph C.

madubois63 11-04-2007 07:46 PM

Michelle - Yes, ignorance is bliss!!! We all wish for the days when we didn't know what an oncologist did and what a port-a-cath was for. Believe me, I know too much about cancer. First off, get through your treatments before you move on to a relapse. Not everyone has a relapse, but if you do, it is more than likely treatable. New treatments are coming out all the time. Next, please know that most statistics you are reading on the internet are 5 years old and very misleading. The treatments that we are getting today are the statistics of tomorrow. Check the dates and the reputation of the source of information you are reading. No one can tell you what to expect in this life or the cancer journey - not even your oncologist, but it is a good thing to be aware of what could happen. Try not to get too overwhelmed by it all. The trick to this whole cancer thing is LIVING the best life you can!!!

hutchibk 11-04-2007 07:54 PM

Maryann is wise and her advice is sage... please take it to heart.

jones7676 11-04-2007 08:51 PM

Think positive....at this point you have no reason to believe the worst. I have a friend who was diagnosed 1 year after me and she has not had any signs or symptoms since her initial surgery and treatment. Herceptin has worked it's magic for her and it can for you as well. BELIEVE!

nitewind 11-05-2007 08:03 AM

I can understand exactly where you're coming from, I reacted the same way. But when my surgeon told me "the bad news is that you are Her2+++ and the great news is that you're Her2+++ and have Herceptin, that made me look at things a whole lot differently. He was so excited about this treatment, enough to call it a "magic bullet" in his words.
Just keep thinking positively and like the girls said, don't do to much research online without looking at the dates! Herceptin is a Godsend
Hugs

~Bellydancer~ 11-05-2007 09:00 AM

Thank you to everyone for their insight and words of wisdom. I guess the overwhelming info and lack of knowledge on my part were too much for me. I know that I am a survivor and I will come thru this journey with a new outlook on life.

Sheila 11-05-2007 10:20 AM

Michelle
Believe it or not, although none of us on this site chose this dreadful disease, the majority feel it made them a better person...sort of put life in perspective....I now am so much more apprecxiative of things that I didn't care about before. You WILL be a survivor, you've already taken the first step in looking for answers, and coming here to this board. You are in my prayers that the journey will be calm and easy and that you may accept and embrace this new chance at life.

MJo 11-05-2007 02:38 PM

I'm no doctor, but I heard an oncologist say that he treats State I, II and III BC aggressively because that's when there is a chance for a cure. So hit it with everything you've got. You'll get through it ok. We all got through it. Come here and share.

Are you really a bellydancer? I took lessons once and threw my back out. It's a beautiful art form.