HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Xeloda/Tykerb and Hairloss? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28915)

koolmom 06-27-2007 07:36 PM

Xeloda/Tykerb and Hairloss?

I posted a couple of weeks ago and thanks for the great responses regarding my scalp being very sore. Now my hair is starting to comeout. It is not as severe as with the first chemo, but it is more than normal. I am going to ask my oncologist about it tomorrow. Is other people out there having hair loss with this combination. Now don't get me wrong...if it keeps me well it is worth it...but to be well with hair is much better than to be well without hair. LOL. Thanks guys!

hutchibk 06-27-2007 09:43 PM

I haven't had hairloss from Ty/Xel, mine is growing in nicely from 8 months of Herc/Taxol... so I am sorry to hear that yours is coming out, Koolmom.

I did find this online, and you might be in the 6% who experience it...

Xeloda and Hair Loss: An Overview
Hair loss may be a common complaint in people taking Xeloda® (capecitabine). In one clinical study, hair loss was reported in up to 6 percent of people who took Xeloda. However, other studies have not shown hair loss to be a Xeloda side effect.

Hair loss is a common side effect of many chemotherapy drugs. This is because chemotherapy affects all fast-growing cells throughout the body. Therefore, in addition to killing cancer cells, it also kills fast-growing normal cells. With some chemotherapy medications, this can include hair cells.

When hair loss does occur, the hair may become thinner or fall out entirely. Hair loss can occur on all parts of the body, including the head, eyelashes, eyebrows, face, arms, legs, underarms, and pubic area.

Shell 06-28-2007 11:53 AM

I did not have hair loss on this combo, but I have very thick hair. Perhaps it will just continue to thin for you, as you are noting...

Regards,

Lolly 06-28-2007 06:10 PM

I had significant hair loss happening by week 7 of Tykerb/Abraxane, and finally had my husband shave my head last weekend as I was shedding so badly and scalp was showing in places...

While on Herceptin/Xeloda for over a year I only had some thinning, but not enough so anyone but me noticed...

<3 Lolly

Lala 06-28-2007 08:45 PM

I have been on Xeloda and Tykerb since March. I have not experienced any hair loss from my scalp. I have noticed my brows and lashes thinned out in the beginning but are now coming back. Last year this time I was on Abraxane Carboplatin and was bald. My what a year it has been.

Sheila 06-29-2007 04:00 AM

I can't speak for the Tykerb, but I was on Xeloda for a year, along with Herceptin, and I had no hair loss. I had my 3rd treatment of Taxol yesterday and it is raining hair!!!!

Mykentuckyhome 06-29-2007 10:06 AM

I have been on tykerb and xeloda for 2months now and I have had alot of hair thinning. I have had so much I refrain from alot of messing with it. My onc said it was because I have had alot of side effects including low blood counts.I swear I wont shve till I have to.Good luckto you.linda