HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Bone Density Scan? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28847)

Leslie's sister 06-21-2007 08:34 AM

Bone Density Scan?

I have noticed on a couple of posts that some of you are having bone density scans done. Is this a normal part of the checking process. What will the bone density scan show? How frequently do you have them done. I had always thought of bone density scans being done to show osteoporosis. Just wondering. I don't want to miss anything for my sister.

Carolyns 06-21-2007 08:45 AM

Hi,

You are correct that Bone Scans are for bone density. I had regular bone scans that did not pick up bone mets. So the purpose of bone scans is to look for osteoporosis. If you want a scan to check for bone mets then you would need to get a bone scan ordered.

Once, mets were discovered I was surprised to learn that bone density testing would not have picked them up. I had always assumed that it would.

As far as the reason for having bone density testing, I did that because I was prematurely in menopause and had used chemo that could effect bone density.

I am sure others will have more information.

Carolyns

Leslie's sister 06-21-2007 10:36 PM

Thank you

Thank you Carolyn. You have confirmed what I thought. If anyone else has other opinions on this, let me know!

tricia keegan 06-22-2007 01:51 PM

Hi six months after having my ovaries removed and starting Arimidex I had a dexa scan which showed some bone loss on my spine so I began taking Fosamax. I think the Dr orders them yearly but not sure. I had a bone scan which is totally different a few weeks before this for backache which thankfully was not mets but the begining of osteopenia. Hope this helps!

Bev 06-22-2007 08:02 PM

Hi LS,

For me they ordered Dexa because of side effects of AI's, Arimidex etc is bone loss. These drugs are for ER+, so this may be something you can cross off your list.

I may have said that these routine scans may help detecting mets. Sorry if this is wrong.

I think Dexa looks at one paticular point, right hip bone, which leaves a lot of real estate uncovered. I would think if you had an abnormality at that particular point it would show up, but doesn't give you a complete picture. BB

juanita 06-22-2007 09:00 PM

I am er/pr- so I don't take any meds for that, but I was put in chemopause so they did a bone density scan for a baseline for comparison.

Adriana Mangus 06-22-2007 09:40 PM

Bone density test

Are you saying that a bone density test would not pick up mets to bones? Why do onc ordered them, then? I'm er,pr Neg. and I get this test once a year.

mke 06-23-2007 04:45 AM

I'm no expert but I've had two different types of tests.

A bone density scan is a sort of super x-ray of the lower back and pelvic area. It doesn't take long. This one checks for osteoporosis. I've had this a couple times because of age and I'm small boned.

A bone scan is a scan of the entire body - head to toe. You get a shot of some radioactive thing and then wait a while and drink a lot of water. It takes quite a while, 40 minutes or so, for the machine to completely traverse your body. This one checks for mets to the bones. I've had this one twice as part of the tests before surgery.

Carolyns 06-23-2007 08:59 AM

Hi Adriana Mangus,

In answer to your question of whether bone density testing would pick up bone mets...I was told NO they do not and in my case they did not. That was my personal experience. If I were you I might ask my doctor these questions to put the mind at rest. Ask what the purpose of the bone density testing is and if it would pick up bone mets. It would be good for all of us to hear the answer.

Good luck and (not to put you on the spot, but...) thank you in advance for sharing what you learn from your doctor about this point.

Love, Hope, and Peace,

Carolyn

Adriana Mangus 06-23-2007 09:58 AM

Bone Scan-two different tests

I now remember having both body scans done, the one that measures just the bones for osteoporosis and the other one for mets, so there you go, my next one is not until novemeber, so I was having a foggy day, couldn't remember.....:-)

kristen 06-23-2007 10:30 AM

My doctored ordered my first Dex test to get a base line. I was osteopenia. My onc, put me on Fosamax, she had told me that she didn't like what chemo did to bones?! My insurance company only pays for a DEX test to be done every 2 years. The results of my second test were normal. No more Fosamax! Has anyone else had this happen? Curious. thank you.

Leslie's sister 06-24-2007 02:59 AM

good exchange

I'm glad that I asked this question. It is sounding more and more like bone density is strictly for osteoporosis and the bone scan is checking for mets. we need to stay on top of what each test is for. thank you for discussing this!