HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   ARIMIDEX vs FEMARA (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28633)

michka 06-16-2007 02:55 AM

ARIMIDEX vs FEMARA

Hello ladies,
I need your opinion. I started Arimidex 2 months ago and I have pain everywhere. I cannot move at all in the morning and I have to take pain killers (in France IXPRIM) to be able to move.
My doctor who first told me to hold on because the body would adapt is now suggesting to try Femara.
Did you experience important pain with Arimidex? Should I try to hold on?
Is Arimidex a better treatment than Femara or is it the same?
Thank you for your help. After going through hell with the chemotherapy and then being burned by radiation, having nerve problems in my arm after operation, I am tired of suffering but I am ready to hold on if it is best.

Kimberly Lewis 06-16-2007 05:36 AM

femara- I have only done this one and have had minor to moderate joint pain. Usually this is after inactivity like sitting or sleeping then getting up to move around and it stops once I am in motion. I am sorry you have had it so hard! Each of us responds differently to meds so if it is really bad try the other. I am not sure why so many are on Arimidex as opposed to Femara...

CLTann 06-16-2007 01:54 PM

My signature below is self explanatory. I have no problem with Femara. My understanding is that they are basically the same in both chemistry and efficacy. Best luck to you.

Lien 06-16-2007 02:57 PM

I don't think there's a great difference between Arimidex and Femara. At first I had trouble with my joints and felt pretty sore. This gradually diminished, and now I only have stiff and painfull joints in the morning and after a long period of inactivity. Stretching seems to help.

I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I've heard of people who felt better after switching from one AI to another. Some others didn't notice much of a difference.

Lien

Caroline UK 06-16-2007 04:48 PM

My stiff joints are easing now

Hi Michka,
I too had a lot of stiffness and discomfort at first with Arimidex, especially feet, ankles and knees. My oncologist assured me that this is very common, and should start to ease after the first 2 months, and it did.
I've been taking it for about 4 months now. I'm still stiff when I get up from sitting, or first thing in the morning, but it quickly gets easier. My knees still creak and crunch loudly, but on the whole yes, it has got a lot easier, and I hope it will get even better.
I'd be very interested to read what others have to say, especially about any differences in medications.
Best wishes to you

Patricia 06-16-2007 09:00 PM

Hi Michka,

I had the same pain you described when I first started taking the AIs. I have tried both Femara and Aromasin. I switched from Aromasin to Femara because the pain from the Aromasin was awful. The Femara made me depressed so I switched back to the Aromasin as I felt I could deal with the pain easier than the depression. I asked the dr about Arimidex, but he told me chemically it was identical to the Femara so I never tried it. Just like the others, the pain did get better over time. I still have achiness especially in the morning or after being still for awhile, but it is night and day compared to how it used to be before. I wish I knew that when I was having the pain because I thought it was pretty unbearable for awhile and if I had known that it was going to get better I would have at least felt better mentally. Hang in there, I hope you find one that best for you and that i am sure it will get better for you too.

Hugs,
Patricia

Jean 06-16-2007 10:37 PM

Yes Sir I did switch!

Hello Micka,
I had started my hormone treatment with Arimidex. I had strong ankle
pain - joint pain along with neck and back pain. My bones and joints
really ached. I hung in for one year hopein my body would adapt.
Then I started chemo...and I had to stop taking the Arimidex with in
10 days I began to feel like my old self. After Chemo I had to go back
to Hormonal treatment. This time I tried Femara. It has been a major
big difference. They both work to accomplish the same measures.
I have found that while on Femara my body feels 90% better. I have now been on the Femara Since Sept. If you feel a strong amount of joint and
muscle pain consider switching off the Ariimidex and try the Femara.

Sorry that you are in discomfort - Also very very important even if you are feeling aches and pains exercise is so very important. It will help grealty
if you walk and do some exercise.

Wishing you the best, let us know what you decide to do.
Kind Regards,
Jean

Hopeful 06-17-2007 04:46 AM

Michka,

I am sorry to hear you are suffering so. I actually switched from Femara to Arimidex, due to the side effect of tinnitus (ringing in the ears). It is less so with the Arimidex. On Femara, I had no joint pain. With Arimidex, I do get joint pain on occassion, particularly in my thumbs. The two drugs are fundamentally the same, with slightly different molecular configurations. Whatever is different about Femara, for most people it clears up the joint pain side effects they experience on Arimidex.

Good luck with your treatment plan,

Hopeful

michka 06-17-2007 06:42 AM

Thank you for all your answers. Just that makes me feel stronger! I'll try to hang on another month and do a little more walking and stretching. Then if I still suffer as much or if it gets worse I'll switch to Femara since it seems to be the same as Arimidex, treatment speaking.

suzan w 06-18-2007 08:37 AM

I, too, had severe joint pain when I started on Arimidex. It moved from one joint to another...started with the hips. Could not get out of a chair unaided, etc. Seems like the pain had to move through all my joints! Now, 20 months of Arimidex later, I have some mild joint pain-usually after period of inactivity, am slightly stiff in the morning. I try to walk 5 miles a day and this keeps me limber too!!!