HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   "Schools out for summer" small victory (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28473)

Ceesun 06-12-2007 08:37 PM

"Schools out for summer" small victory

Hi Friends, As I write this I have one day of work, at a middle school, left before summer vacation. It was at this time last year I learned I had a lung nodule and was back to chemo....had been on herceptin for almost 9 months (20 months since original diagnosis). I really thought I would not be able to teach this year, too many demands, new drugs added Xeloda and Navelbine.... and way too tired for classroom management...but with the encouragement of my nurses and those who monitor my clincial trial, I decided I would try. It has been tough at times, but I guess it is safe to say that it looks like I made it!! I am taking it year by year, one step at a time for now. Many days and nights the encouraging words on this website have helped...thanks for being part cheerleader, confident, and friend. I know I have needed it. Ceesun aka Cathy

lu ann 06-12-2007 10:14 PM

Dear Ceesun,

Good for You! I can't even imagine going to work through treatment. All you Working Warriors amaze me. Take a well deserved summer break off and get what you need to re-group.

Love and best wishes
Lu Ann

Mary Jo 06-13-2007 04:06 AM

Hi Ceesun,

I will hop on your summer vacation wagon as well.http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...cons/icon7.gif Tomorrow morning is my last day at the 4 year old kindergarten I work at. It's been a fun year and I love my job BUT am also looking forward to enjoying the warm breezes of summer at my leisure.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer June 24, 2005 so that summer was a whirlwhind of sorts. Sadness, anxiety, surgery and on and on it goes. I started chemo the end of that summer in August. I was able to work pretty much throughout my treatment for which I am incredibly thankful. It's what kept me the most sane and grounded throughout I think.. It kept my mind busy and being around my wonderful "family" at work was a blessing.
Last summer was my 1st summer without chemo but I was still receiving herceptin. This is my first summer with nothing. I don't even see my onc. until August. http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...cons/icon7.gif

The good news......................here it is June of 2007 and my 2 year anniversary is coming up QUICKLY - June 24. I feel awesome, am NED and am actually thankful for what I've gone through.

Happy Summer,

Mary Jo

Believe51 06-13-2007 05:35 AM

A Small Victory??????

Atta Girl. One day, one step, one moment at time. This sounds to me like a huge victory. My husband was dx 9/06 and was so ill that the outlook was very poor. To be honest, my friend, we did not think he would be here today. We got here the same way and we too are amazingly blessed. Today you will be in my special thoughts and prayers, we will celebrate your achievement since we know how difficult it was to get there!! And the summer days will have never smelled so sweet thinking of ALL of our victories, for the support and blessings, for the inspiration we share with one another. One thing Breast Cancer is not, 'A Selfish Disease'. I love knowing that coming here my husband and myself can celebrate and share in all of our friends victories and help in those times of darkness or need. I am going to take my lunch today with gentle thoughts of your HUGE VICTORY, thanks to you sharing it with us all. I will send continued prayers for you as always. And when I see a beautiful cloud, or the wind is just perfect, when I feel the sun shining on my face just right, or the smell of surf dances through my nose.....well, I will softly retieve this post and I shall celebrate in your joy. Thank You Sweetheart, for including us into your life. >Waiting For A Miracle>Believe51..(Marie G)

Barbara H. 06-13-2007 04:46 PM

Hi Cathy,
I'm glad to hear that you stuck with it and decided to continue your teaching. I know it is hard at times, but I find that teaching keeps me focused, gives me a purpose and keeps my mind off my cancer.
I still have one week of school left, but am also in the middle of packing up my third grade classroom and moving to a different room. I've discovered that I have accumulated more items in my classroom than in my house.
Enjoy your summer!
Barbara H.

juanita 06-13-2007 06:18 PM

Being at school while I was going through treatments was the best thing in the world for me. I think not being able to work with my first onc contributed to my depression. As the kids came through my lunchline, even the football boys, they were so supportive and some had to rub my bald head all the time.

vickie h 06-13-2007 07:58 PM

You are the best

Hey Cathy, You are the best....wish I could have had a teacher like you! I am even happier that the blessings came with a change of Oncs...and a whole new look at life. Much love to you sweet Cathy. Love, Vickie

Lolly 06-13-2007 08:45 PM

Cathy, I want to add my congratulations to you and all the other "Working Warriors"!!! As Marie G says, you all amaze me!

<3 Lolly

Ceesun 06-30-2007 07:13 PM

thanks for your thoughts and "that a girls"-we all need each other to get through- I have learned that for sure xo Cathy