HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   MUGA variation question (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27449)

janet11 03-20-2007 02:32 PM

MUGA variation question

I've had 3 MUGA scans:
September (pre-chemo): 63%
December (almost at end of chemo(TCH)): 60%
March (after 3 months more of Herceptin every 3 weeks): 53%

I just got that last result this morning. So they're doing another scan in 6 weeks (instead of waiting 3 months). Has anyone had a drop like this, then had it go back up? I'm not having any symptoms of heart problems, and I've actually had so FEW serious problems from treatment that I was surprised at the result.

Would exercise help? I promise, I'll go back to the gym (*smile*) if it'll help me stay on my treatment plan. I should have asked my onc today about this, but figure that the "good sense rule" would be what I should follow anyway (in other words, do it, but don't overdo it). Hmm... guess exercise wouldn't hurt. Drat.

After re-reading the above, guess I don't have a real question other than wondering if there's some hope that the drop will level off without having to stop Herceptin. And that won't be answered until my next scan(s). So guess I really just wanted to gripe a bit. Sorry (*smile*).....

Janet

Hopeful 03-20-2007 04:46 PM

Janet,

I did not have chemotherapy but am receiving Herceptin. My pre-treatment MUGA was 74. After three months, it went down to 64 and 6 weeks later went to 60. I started taking COQ 10 the day after the 60 score test, and my next MUGA six weeks later was back up to 66. I can't say for sure that the COQ 10 did it, but I am not arguing with the results. If you search this forum for "COQ 10" you will find lots of threads and information on it. Best of luck to you with your treatments.

Hopeful

Malena 03-20-2007 05:13 PM

Before chemo my echocardiogram was 67%, after 8 chemos (taxotere + epirubicina, sorry I don't know the english names) I had 55%. Not very good to start herceptin, but we tried. After 2 infusions of herceptin I had 15% and I went to the Hospital for 2 weeks.Of course I stopped Herceptin. Now I feel quite good and FE was 45%.
My doc said the same thing: OK, exercise is good, but not too much for your heart, just walking......
I'll try with Q10!!!!
In my hospital they don't have MUGA....only echocardiogram!

janet11 03-20-2007 05:59 PM

Thank you both. Malena, I've heard also that an echocardiogram is just as accurate as a MUGA.

I'll also look into the COQ10 -- thanks. AND start walking every day. It can't hurt (*smile*)

chrisy 03-20-2007 09:47 PM

Janet,

I've had echos and they have bounced around. I think the last ones were 63, 59, 69. Some on this board have theorized that timing of the test with your herceptin timing might make a difference, I don't know if that's true or not, but clearly these numbers can jump up and down, and back up again!

As you say, tho, it sure can't hurt to do all those "heart healthy" things like walking and eating good. My rockstar oncologist told me that there was "nothing you can do" to help prevent heart toxicity, but then in she said just do the things you would normally do (eat and exercise) I guess there's just no way around that! LOL. I also do believe that CoQ10 helps.

By the way, your little "bargaining" about the gym reminded me of a joke in honor of St Patty's day I heard today:

Ol Paddy O'Brien was really sweating in his car - he was late for a meeting and couldn't find a parking place.

"OK Lord, if you help me find a parking place, I promise I'll go to church every Sunday for the rest of me life" he prayed
Miraculously, a parking place opened up right in front of him!

"Oh, never mind, Lord, I found one"

Totally irrelevant, but it made me laugh...
Take care

Chris

hutchibk 03-20-2007 10:16 PM

hahaha. I like that one!

Marlys 03-21-2007 08:35 AM

Janet, My Muga scan went from 63 to 72 after I started taking CO Enzyme Q10 and joined the gym. I did an hour on the treadmill and 1 hour in water aerobics. I take CO Q10 faithfully now. My onc quit ordering the Muga scans.
Love & hugs,
Marlys

janet11 03-21-2007 10:38 AM

Loved the story about the parking spot (*laugh*). And while I'm not into supplements, I'm definitely going to look for COQ10 today. I figure it can't hurt, and if it will help, so much the better. Thanks everyone.