HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   For those with Lumpectomy - How Often do You see your Radiologist (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27429)

Becky 03-19-2007 06:03 PM

For those with Lumpectomy - How Often do You see your Radiologist

For those of you who had rads because of a lumpectomy (as the "rules" for rads with masectomy may be different) - how often and for how long did you see your radiology oncologist. I see mine every 6 months but I don't know how long. Does it go to once a year like you do for the surgeon and when does that happen (at 2 yrs post surgery the surgeon said that I was on once a year from every 6 months). I am just wondering because my radiologist heads up a new office that is far from my home but still comes to the cancer center one day a month to do his follow ups. However, its tricky getting appointments with him (on time) because of this schedule (and that I never know in advance what day it will be). So, I was thinking of changing to another radiologist who is in the practice but is at the cancer center. However, if I am only going to see him one or two times more, I will put up with it. But if I have to see him every 6 months until I am 5 years from rads and once a year after that, it will be easier to see someone who is at the cancer center a couple of days every week.

The rads receptionist is not with it and can't answer the question. I've missed the "April" visit because they apologized that they forgot to call me. I don't want a May visit because I see my PCP, oncologist and gynecologist all in May (and let's face it, how many breast exams does a girl really need in one month - so I'd like to space it out and stay on track with an April appt with the rads man - my guy or a partner). Likewise, I'd rather stay with my original if there are only one or two more visits.

Thanks

Cosmo 03-19-2007 06:07 PM

Becky,

I only saw my radiation oncologist at a 6 month follow-up appointment. She didn't seem to think she needed to see me again after that. I'm interested to see how others reply.

Regards,

Karen

Montana 03-19-2007 06:08 PM

I had a 6 month follow-up visit and then that was it. Why do you need to see the radiologist so long after radiation is over?

Mary Jo 03-19-2007 06:10 PM

Hi Becky,

I had mastectomy but also had 28 rads. My radiation oncologist says he will see me until the 5 year mark. I finished rads Feb. 06 - and have seen him 3 times since. I will see him in June and then (I think) only once a year till I reach the 5 year mark.

Mary Jo

RhondaH 03-19-2007 06:16 PM

Becky...

I see mine right after my mammo in August and she has made no mention of my ever stopping. I just go with the flow.

Rhonda

AlaskaAngel 03-19-2007 06:36 PM

just once

Becky, I originally didn't have a follow up because I live in Alaska and had my rads done in California for my lumpectomy -- but otherwise I would have been scheduled for a 6 mo follow up only.

I eventually did go back after my surgeon identified rads necrosis. When I went back to the rads onc after seeing the surgeon, she had no idea what the lumpy hard tissue was that I had. I think in general rads docs don't see patients often enough when they are a year or more out from rads, so they probably aren't familiar with the real results that far out from treatment.
A.A.

Andi 03-19-2007 07:00 PM

I had my lumpectomy at Mayo Clinic Rochester, but did my rads at Mayo Scottsdale when we were staying there last winter. I had a follow up with my oncologist just before we went back north last year and that was the only time. I never had a follow up with my surgeon, either, all of my exams have been with my oncologist.

Karen Weixel 03-19-2007 07:05 PM

I saw mine every three months for a year and then, every six months for another year and now, I have graduated to once a year for the next three years. I see my surgeon every six months until the five year mark and my onc every three months until the five year mark. My surgeon and onc said after that it will once a year for life.

Karen

Mary Jo 03-19-2007 07:06 PM

I suppose I'm getting a little off topic but had to reply. Just wanted to say that I don't have scheduled appointments with my surgeon either. She does like to follow up but she leaves the choice as to who you want to see with me. As long as I see my onc. regularly she doesn't mind if I skip her. She says there is no need to see my onc. every 4 months and her as well. Even though I like my surgeon very much I don't want to do double duty with the docs so skip her usually.

That's all

Mary Jo

Grace 03-19-2007 07:15 PM

I finished radiation at the end of December and my radiologist suggested I check in with her in April (four months). I completely forgot to make an appointment until I read your post. Thanks for the reminder.

Jean 03-19-2007 08:18 PM

Interesting thread....

I saw my rad dr. a month after completing rads, then 6 months after that,
have not seen him since....now I will call his office and ask him if I should
come in....all looks good and feels good. I didn't get the impression from
him that I would continue to see him for years, now I am wondering also?

Thanks for this thread Becky,
Jean

rinaina 03-19-2007 08:25 PM

I had a lumpectomy and I had my first follow up with my rads onc 3 weeks post rads, then 6 weeks after that and then she said 6 months. Not sure if she will still want to see me following the 6 month check up.

janet/FL 03-19-2007 08:59 PM

I am 2 years out and have an appointment to see the rad doc for a one year follow up. I missed one appointment that was cancelled because of a hurricane. I called months later to reschedule and the rad doc said he wanted to continue, but I don't know for how long. I talked with him about getting good breast exams--my onc didn't give a good one--so he said to alternate seeing the surgeon (who also gives a good exam) and him so I would have a good exam every 6 months. My new, young, onc--right from the start--I told him that I grade breast exams. His exams greatly improved for the next exam as he read up how to do them. Needless to say, I am not going to an onc that specializes in breast cancer! But I do appreciate the fact that he listened to my complaint. Now to talk him into checking the lymph glands. I don't think he did.

Marlys 03-19-2007 09:23 PM

Becky,
I saw my radiation oncologist every 3 month for the first year, then her FNP after 4 months and will see her(the Dr.) again after 4 months. I have mammograms on the affected side every 6 months and bilaterally every year. Curiously, I have not seen my surgeon at all post op except to remove my port. Being a retired O.R. nurse that's O.K. with me. Never cared much for surgeons!
Marlys

tousled1 03-19-2007 10:36 PM

I had a bilateral mastectomy and had 35 radiation treatments. I saw my radiation oncologist once a week during treatment and then I saw him a month after I was finished. At that time he said he saw no reason why I'd have to come back -- unless, of course, I had a problem. I see my surgeon every three months for the first year, then every six months until year two and then once a year until year five.

MJo 03-20-2007 06:19 AM

I saw my radiologist once after I completed rads. It was two or three months later. Can't remember. Also saw surgeon three months after lumpectomy. Doctors did not give me another appointment, so I don't plan to see them.

Hopeful 03-20-2007 06:20 AM

I am participating in the study of whole vs. partial breast irradiation, so I will see the radiation onc per the schedule for the study. The first appointment was 6 weeks post rads, the next one (in three weeks) is 6 months post. I think the next one will be at the one year mark, not sure what happens after that, but we are followed for five years.

Hopeful

cmljungren 03-20-2007 07:59 AM

I see my rad onc evey 6 months. This if offset with my surgeon who sees me every 6 as well. So I'm seeing one of them every 3 months. I just hit my 2 yr mark though, so this schedule may change. I see my med onc every 4 months.

Interesting to read how varied follow up appts are for all of us.

saleboat 03-20-2007 08:24 AM

I haven't seen my Rad Onc since my 6-mos check-up. Given that I see the Med Onc every four months, and the surgeon every 6 months, I feel well covered. Unless the Rad Onc contacts me, I probably won't initiate a visit.

Jen

janet11 03-20-2007 01:14 PM

My rad onc says to come in 1 month post rads and that's it (probably because I didn't have any rad-induced problems). Actually, I probably won't even make that appointment. I didn't like him much (felt he didn't care one way or another) and I DO see my med onc regularly. I also told her I didn't plan to make the follow up rads appointment and she didn't give me any specific reason to go (other than asking me why) (*grin*).

I just learned that I should schedule a radiation-side mammogram 6 weeks after completion of radiation treatment, and then sched an appointment with my surgeon. Apparently this is my new 'baseline' mammo.

Janet