HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   madubois63 update Feb. 3 (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27233)

madubois63 03-03-2007 02:27 PM

madubois63 update March 3

January was my 7 year anniversary of surviving breast cancer, and today is my 4 month anniversary since the bone marrow transplant! Although recovery is going slow (due to my many years of fighting BC), it has been quite uneventful (a good thing). Except for the nasty cold that kept me down for a bit and the internal itches (due to the changes happening in my body) I have done pretty well. Although I never wanted to think about it, the last 4 months have been a very critical time for me. A rejection, graft v. host disease or that simple cold could have killed me; but with the grace of God, the many prayers and well wishes, the love and support of friends and family and the great doctors and nurses that I have been lucky enough to have, I am still here and doing pretty good! The last bone marrow biopsy taken showed NO LEUKEMIA, and the transplant post-testing done 2 weeks ago, showed that the transplant has taken and my DNA/RNA is more than 95% my donor. My opportunity to commit a crime as me are over, but if I commit a crime now, I can bring up reasonable doubt because there is someone else in the world that has the same DNA. Pretty strange, huh? Actually, I am considered a medical "chimera" (if your interested, see definition below). My blood type is still part B+ and part A+. I continue to receive O+ (universal for me) blood transfusions weekly, and I get tired really quickly; but I walked around the mall the other day and didn't need to sit (great improvement). I went to my daughter's best friend's sweet 16 party and even danced a little. It was really great for me, because after the big weight loss from being so sick, I fit back in to my little black dress!! My hair is growing in, and someone even complimented me on my haircut (strange). My love and prayers to all of you...

Chimeraplasty: A method of gene therapy based upon the use of a molecule called a chimeraplast, a synthetic blend of DNA and the related molecule RNA, to trick the patient's own cells to remedy a gene defect. (Many of my genes were defective)

Chimeraplasts are made to match the patient's sequence of base pairs (the molecular building blocks of DNA), except in one area, the area of the mutation (the change) that is responsible for the gene defect. There, the chimeraplasts have the correct sequence of base pairs in the DNA.

The chimeraplasts are designed to attach to the patient's DNA and activate the DNA repair system, a system that cells normally use to correct mistakes they make in replicating their DNA.

The patient's DNA repair system is tricked into treating the chimeraplast as the correct version of the DNA and changing the patient's gene to match the chimeraplast, thus correcting the mutation. (The new marrow is what has tricked my system in to correcting the defects)

The term "chimeraplast" derives from the legendary monster made up of incongruous parts. In Greek mythology, the Chimera was an awesome fire-breathing monster with the head of a lion, the body of a goat, and the tail of a serpent. In medicine, a person who is composed of two genetically distinct types of cells is called a chimera. This may be due to the fusion of two embryos at a very early (blastula) stage. More commonly today, the formation of a chimera is due to transplantation. When bone marrow from one person is used to reconstitute the bone marrow of an irradiated recipient, the recipient becomes a chimera.

MJo 03-03-2007 02:40 PM

RE: Little black dress

I bet you looked like Audrey Hepburn's younger, prettier sister. You go, girl.

Andi 03-03-2007 02:49 PM

Glad to hear you are getting some strength back and that your tests have turned out so well. You are such an inspiration to me with your positive, fighting spirit. Keep charging...!

Chelee 03-03-2007 03:29 PM

You are truly one very amazing lady. You have been through so much and yet continue to have a great sense of humor. (Referring to commiting a crime.) lol You have hit quite a few bumps in the road and managed to stay the course. I know its been said often...but you really are a true "inspiration". I can only imagine how tough much of this has been but you have push forward and let nothing get in your way. I would like to say congratulations on your seven year anniversary of surviving. You show so many of us how much is really possible if we have faith and give it all we have to keep going.

I am so happy to hear you got to go to your daugthers friends sweet 16 party and got to dance and show off your new figure. :) Sounds like you had some much deserved fun. (About time! And way past due.) Sending well wishes for many more days of good health, fun and happiness.

Hang in there. Will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Chelee

Mary Anne in TX 03-03-2007 03:32 PM

Hi Mary Ann! When I think of you, I think - so pretty and so much courage! Bravo for all you've fought and for sharing your hope. ma

Barbara H. 03-03-2007 03:51 PM

Hi Mary Anne,
Thank you for posting. I am glad that you continue to make progress in your recovery. Your story is truly inspiring.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

AlaskaAngel 03-03-2007 04:01 PM

paths through the maze

It is great to hear from you Maryann and wonderful to hear such good progress. We all end up on so many different paths in the State of Breast Cancer. Thanks for continuing to post updates along your way.

AlaskaAngel

lindaw 03-03-2007 04:45 PM

Great news. its so great to hear from you and to know you are enjoying your life. Thanks for writing.

love
linda

Jean 03-03-2007 05:17 PM

Mary Ann,

You have the "Heart of a Lion"...

May God continue to look over you.

Fondly,
Jean

sassy 03-03-2007 06:25 PM

Mary Ann,

So wonderful to hear from you and know that things are going well. You continue to amaze and inspire us all.

Glad you got to enjoy that " little black dress" too! Just goes to show you can always find a positive--hopefully we all can.
________
GLASS BONGS

tousled1 03-03-2007 06:47 PM

Mary Ann,

Congratulations on your seven years! Also a a big congratulations on the great progress you're making. With all that you have had to endure you have remained so positive. You are truly an inspiration to us all.

rinaina 03-03-2007 10:11 PM

Thanks for the update Maryanne. You are one amazing person. I sit in awe of your persiverance.(oops, spelling). I truly believe that their is nothing you can't conquer. Here's to many more years of good health.

Lolly 03-03-2007 10:47 PM

Really incredible! You are a medical miracle.

<3 Lolly

chrislmelb 03-03-2007 11:50 PM

Mary Ann, great news.

i am so pleased it is going well for you. My friend's sister who had the transplant about 6 weeks ago is going really well too. FAntastic for you both as it has been such a long hard road with leukemia.
Take care
Christine

Vanessa 03-05-2007 09:33 PM

I am so glad to hear that you are doing well. I know you enjoyed getting dressed up in a little black dress. You have such a fighting spirit and positive outlook. I am praying that everything continues to go well for you.

vickie h 03-05-2007 10:47 PM

You have been an inspiration to me since I first started posting and I am so happy to hear of your recovery. You have been through so much and it makes me realize that we have a longer, but sunnier road to walk up. Thank you for your words of encouragement and especially your sense of humor...Love and prayers to you dear one, Vickie

Carolyns 03-06-2007 09:00 AM

Mary Ann,

It is great to hear from you. Thank you for keeping us posted. I wish you continued health and well being. May every day bring you more strength and joy.

God bless you and your family,

Carolyns