HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   3rd year anniversary of mets diagnosis (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27031)

Esther 02-10-2007 08:36 PM

3rd year anniversary of mets diagnosis

My third year anniversary of being diagnosed with bone and liver mets was this past January. Since I was given such a poor prognosis when I was first diagnosed, due to the poor condition of my liver ( it was covered in tumors and shutting down ) I have made it a point to celebrate each anniversary in a special way.

This year we went to Steamboat CO for a 10 day ski trip again. I faced the day at the top of Steamboat mountain, getting ready to ski down, thinking of all the things I have been able to live and do since my initial diagnosis.

I am now starting my 4th year of living with mets, and continue to snow ski 30-40 days a year, water-ski in the summer, rock climb, golf, travel, scuba dive, and enjoy life.

Life is sure changing for a bc mets patient today, QOL of life means alot to me and thanks to Herceptin and other new treatments our life expectancy has now become ???? possibly inching up into the double digits or beyond.

May we all continue to do well in 2007!!!!

Lolly 02-10-2007 10:56 PM

Esther, you give us all hope and INSPIRATION. My QOL is excellent, but somehow I don't seem to be living quite as large as you do, LOL!!! May we all live each day to the fullest extent of our capacity for joy and zest!

<3 Lolly

chrislmelb 02-11-2007 03:38 AM

Congrats Esther. Here's to it continuing.
Take care
Christine

jhandley 02-11-2007 08:35 PM

Congrats!

Hi Esther
Well done.......I have been NED for 16 months and hope to have many years of life left. I am also a keen outdoor person particularly canoeing and xc skiing.

keep smiling!
jackie

atdec05 02-12-2007 09:06 AM

Congratulations, Esther!

Women like you are my shining examples of how we can live (and live well) whatever our stage is. I'm just starting life after treatment, and I hope to have some of your great attitude!

I'm glad you had a great time in Steamboat. I will go there next week, to finally see some snow which has elluded us this winter in Mass.

take care, Anna

vickie h 02-13-2007 11:15 AM

living with mets

Thanks for the inspiring story. You made my day! We all need to be reminded of how precious each day is. And a big congratulations on living your life so fully and sharing it with us.
Love and hugs, Vickie

Adriana Mangus 02-13-2007 06:16 PM

What a story!

Dear Esther: I'm so happy to hear you are living large and experiencing all the things you like to do in life. You and others who have had this "break" are the reason for us to never give up the fight against this disease. Might God keep you healthy, In Prayer....Adriana

Sandy H 02-13-2007 07:04 PM

A wonderful way to share!

So glad you are enjoying life and living on the edge! Most of the things you do would be me living on the edge. People are amazed at the things I do and if I did what you do they would really freak out!! I am sure we all do things these days we didn't do before. Wishing you another great year and thanks for sharing, it gives the rest of us inspiration to do our research and be pro active. hugs, Sandy

CLTann 02-13-2007 07:10 PM

Dear Esther,

To your well-deserved vacation, Have A Good Time.

You perhaps can help others to describe your daily life, such as your diets, your items to avoid and any of your worthy life styles. We all want to hear what factors that contribute to your success.

Wish you continued health.

MJo 02-13-2007 08:59 PM

Living Large is a good way to describe your lifestyle. You are such an inspiration and source of hope. I am going to book that cruise I've been investigating.

Andi 02-14-2007 03:21 AM

Having just been diagnosed with mets myself, it is examples like you that give me such great hope. Thanks for sharing your success and may you live 2007 as fully as you have the last 3 years!

Mary Jo 02-14-2007 11:29 AM

Oh Esther.................I couldn't be happier for you. How wonderful and what an incredible and amazing blessing. You have latched on to life and are enjoying it to the fullest and that dear one, is the biggest blessing of all. None of us knows the days we will be given but, gosh darnit, we should all step out and enjoy each one while we can.

Continued Blessings I pray for you,

Mary Jo

Annemarie 02-14-2007 01:23 PM

What a terrific spirit!

I love to here great stories! You are an inspiration to everyone on this board. Cancer changes our lives and makes us live differently and in many cases better because you value each and everyday. I live my life measured in days not years. But in many ways that has been a blessing not a curse. Hats off to you and I wish you many more years!

Jean 02-14-2007 03:15 PM

Dear Ester,

It is so good that you are celebrating "LIFE" your strenth and positive attitude
is beautiful. God Bless...

Jean

lu ann 02-19-2007 12:00 AM

Me Too!!!!

Dear Esther,

I am also in my 4th year. I never expected to live more then 6 months. I'm not as active as you, but I am living a good quality of life.

Last night I went to see the show "Beehive" with 5 of my past school mates. This was a dinner and a show from the 1960's. We had a wonderfull time. After the show we had a pajama party with alot of laughs and shots of tequilla rose.

All of us graduated in 1974 and celebrated our 50th Birthdays last year.

We manage to get together with and without our husbands 4-6 times a year. It's what makes life special. We laugh and cry together, but mostly laugh. We watched "I Love Lucy" and "The Honeymooners" DVD's this morning, with more laughter.

Life is Good.
Love, Lu Ann

Carolyns 02-19-2007 07:36 AM

Dear Ester,

Thanks for sharing your story. My 1 year anniversary with mets is in March...I think that I will follow in your foot steps and celebrate the anniversary. It is a great idea. I am taking my 8-year old skiing this week on bunny hills...perhaps we will graduate to the big slopes next year!

Congrats and many more years of livin large to ya...cheers!

Carolyns

tousled1 02-19-2007 07:51 AM

Esther,

You're a true inspiration!

Tonya 02-22-2007 07:29 PM

Esther,
You are my hero right now. I am new to this support group and the people on here have been such an encouragement to me. I was diagnosed in 2002 with BC and multiple liver mets Oct 2006. I am on Herceptin and Taxotere. I am still working and trying to keep life as normal as possible. Back in the fall I did not think I would live to see Christmas I was in a lot of pain and the doctor was not very optimistic but by the grace of God I am still here. I love to ski as you do. We have gone skiing 3 times this year and I will be going to Colorado March 2 2007 for the first time. I am so excited to to be alive, and to have the stamina to still do a lot of the things I enjoy. You have given me hope for the future where there was none. Thank you so much for sharing your life with others. take care Tonya

Karen Weixel 02-22-2007 09:27 PM

Thank you for sharing your story, Ester. You give us all hope and inspiration!!

Congratulations.

Hugs,

Karen

Sheila 02-23-2007 07:26 PM

Esther

You are amazing, and give me hope everytime I hear of your skiing adventure...i only went skiing on snow 1x...I broke my ankle...I was pointing my toes in to slow the speed and snap.....and that was BEFORE, breast cancer....I was much better in the water on water skis, I remember the first time I went water skiing after my mastectomy....everyone on the boat was telling me not to, I could hurt my arm/chest....I just had to prove them wrong....I got up first try, and although I didn't ski long, it was enough to know that I still could. Keep On doing whatever you are doing...it shows in how well you've done!