HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Chemo sucks (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26780)

Heart Sutra 01-19-2007 03:22 PM

Chemo sucks

what else is there to say?
2 down, 2 to go for AC... then TH time.

Hope TH isn't as much of a drag. Even the 3-4 days out of 2 weeks feeling like this just sucks.

Did I mention it sucks?

Sue

Becky 01-19-2007 03:41 PM

I agree and I haven't had chemo for 2 years. Actually, cancer is what really sucks because otherwise, no chemo (which is a great risk reducer - keep thinking that - "this is greatly reducing my risk for recurrence, this is greatly reducing my risk for recurrence")

You are 50% done with AC and 25% done with the chemo aspect (Taxol is not as bad. You might get some numbness in the fingers and toes but it is not like AC). Relax and have a nice weekend.

Karen W 01-19-2007 04:03 PM

While I was going throug AC I would always joke and say, "feeling good just in time to feel bad again". I would start feeling good about 3 days before my next infusion. It will pass and I must say, Taxol and Herceptin, for me, was a lot easier.

Hugs,
Karen

MGordon 01-19-2007 04:12 PM

Almost there...

I know he probably alreadsy is, but...

Lean more on Kevin! You need the rest and he needs to help you!

Hang in there - better days are just around the corner.

Love and Light
Mel

Mary Anne in TX 01-19-2007 05:12 PM

Yes, it does suck! Absolutely!

But you can do it! It's like crossing off days getting to the finish line! Just cross off those days and find a few treats to celebrate the days as you finish them! I picked Vernors (drink) one week, bad for you cheese dip, hot fudge sundae, etc. I just focused on getting to that treat at the end of the week! I will admit that sometimes I didn't even enjoy the treat, but I got to it!

You can do this! When you think you can't do another day, just get mad at the cancer and declare victory against it!

I had Taxol, carboplatin, and Herceptin and then Navelbine and herceptin (8 times each). And they were a breeze after the "killer" one! You can do it!

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you,
mary anne

Louise O'Brien 01-19-2007 07:12 PM

It will get better...

Heart Sutra - I know where you're coming from. It does suck. But I can't begin to tell you how exilerated you will feel as you finish each treatment - and realize how much closer you are to the end - when you can soon begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel. And you will.

I made a deliberate choice not to cancel treatment between Christmas & New Years - knowing I would screw up New Year's Day. I just wanted to hit that half way mark - so I could say "three down, three to go" before the year ended.

This week on Wednesday, I finished treatment number four and I'm now on Docetaxel. It's good to hear that this drug is easier to tolerate. At least I'm not nauseus. But the fatigue has finally hit me. And now that I'm off the steroids, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. If it does.

But I'm not down or depressed. When we walked out of the clinic on Wednesday, I almost cried saying to my husband - just two more to go. The relief was incredible. Two isn't bad - I'll be ecstatic when I can finally say - just one left. And before long on Feb. 28 - I'm done. Of course there's still a year of Herceptin - and it's also reassuring to know that too will be easier.

So we all have these markers that we have to cross off - but you will get through it and it will be over soon. Honest. Hang in there.

Rent your favourite movies; get some light reading that makes you laugh and spoil yourself.

rinaina 01-19-2007 08:31 PM

Yes Sue, chemo sucks but you must hang in there. Karen W you are so right about what you said, I too had 3-4 good days the week I was due to get chemo again. Now that sucked and made it hard to want to go back for another treatment. But I did because I am a fighter and I wanted to do everything I could to get rid of this dreadful disease. Becky you are right too when you say cancer sucks cause if you didn't have it you wouldn't need the chemo. Amen to all everyone has said but bottom line Sue, hang in and fight this with all you have available to you. Before you know it, it will be over and you will return to feeling much better. It isn't easy but nothing worth fighting for ever is. Just write if you need us to help you again or give you the encouragement you need to continue. I sympathize with you having been there.

Jean 01-19-2007 08:34 PM

Sue,

Hang in your halfway there, I think the halfway mark can be the worst because your really tired and fed up with it all and know you have a bit more to complete. Focus on the fact that your halfway done.....done....done....
just a little more to go. Wishing you positive thoughts and strength.

Warmly,
Jean

PS It will be much easier with the TH.....

Jean 01-19-2007 08:35 PM

Dear Louise,

Good Luck to you as you round the bend to the finish line.

Sending you all good wishes,

Jean

Bev 01-19-2007 09:50 PM

It's unanimous. Chemo and cancer sucks. I definitely remember thinking I was living in suck world or suck zone. I would think the last two treatments won't be any worse than the first two. More of the same. It's hard. Just look forward to all the good days ahead. When you get a great MRI or mammo, you will be thrilled. When the haze of chemo wears off, you'll be delighted you can think again. Work is even fun. There's more.

I would have rather not done this. Your choices are limited and with consequences. I guess you know that. It's a long road but if we can do it so can you. Best Wishes, BB

kimber 01-20-2007 05:48 AM

Sue - Yes chemo SUCKS!!!!! I hated every single second of it. I never realized that you could feel so rotten (physically and emotionally) and still be alive.

AC is the worst. I ended up doing the weekly taxol instead of the every other week. It was easier to tolerate after the AC kicked my ass. I ended up in the hospital for the weekend after my first dose dense Taxol. Keep the weekly option open. I actually felt pretty good on the weekly HT. My hair started growing back, etc.

You are half way done with the AC!!!! You hang in there!!!! And yes, lean on your hubby. It will help him too to know that he can help his wife, his love in her fight for her life.

Much love - kim

Joannie 01-20-2007 05:56 AM

It looks like we are all in agreement! Cancer/chemo sucks. I tried to not think of chemo as the enemy, though that was hard to do as bad as it makes you feel. My support group told me one time to think of it as liquid gold. I tried to visualize that is it would go into my veins.

Hang in there, and remember, take one day at a time. The end of chemo will come quicker if you take one day at a time vs. trying to think about how many more you have to endure.

Joannie

tricia keegan 01-20-2007 10:22 AM

Hi as everyone else has said you're halfway there already.

The TH was soo much easier to tolerate for me than a/c and my hair began to grow back,although I did lose my lashes and brows!!
Good luck,take it easy and look forward to that finish line which is creeping ever closer!
Tricia

KRISS 01-21-2007 05:17 PM

Sorry you are having such a hard time Sue. I'm dreading my second tomorrow. But we can and will get through all this ^%$#@&%&%. We have to. We are women! Kriss

tousled1 01-21-2007 05:47 PM

Yes, A/C does suck! I remember thinking I'm half way finished and that seemed to help. Don't despair, things will get better. Be tough and hang in there.

Catherine 01-21-2007 10:32 PM

Keep your boots on and keep trucking. It really does suck, but you can get thru it. I have to admit that before my 3rd A/C, I sat at the kitchen counter and cried. I said I do not want to go for treatment today. Told my husband he would have to drag me to the car. After a good 10 minute cry and lots of hugs and reassurance, I got in the car without being dragged. I have mentioned it before, but I believe in the help drugs. I started taking an antidepressant after my DX. Then took Ativan on and off before I went to Chemo. Ativan helped me calm down and helped me sleep. Even when I felt crappy, I got up every two hours and walked around the house once or twice. And always keep chugging WATER. Rinse your mouth with baking soda water. Let your husband and friends wait on you.

It will be over, just keep marking off the days.
We will continue to be here for you,
Catherine in Oregon

Lolly 01-21-2007 10:43 PM

I remember my onc saying to me "I'm sorry we have to make you sick to make you well"...that just about sums it up. It's a necessary evil, but you WILL be WELL again.
Hang in there.

<3 Lolly

Stephanie B. 01-22-2007 01:46 PM

Hang in there it does get better. I found that if I made myself get up and move around and didn't just lay around all day it helped. I got my treatments on Monday and went back to work Thurs or Fri. If you tell yourself you won't get sick it doesn't seem as bad. Good luck and keep drinking water to keep those mouth sores away!!!

SusanV 01-22-2007 04:28 PM

Sue,

Yes, it really sucks BAD ! You can do it though....you have to get through some more feeling crappy to get out to the other side. Hang in there and on days you feel well enough go for a little walk and "suck" in some fresh air. Sending tons of well wishes your way.

Soccermom 01-22-2007 09:01 PM

Ditto,ditto,ditto!!!

A good friend sent me a pink and white tie-dyed baseball cap that states..."CANCER SUCKS" in BIG black letters...I alternated that hat w/ "Haircut by Taxol"...STILL wear them both altho I get some funny looks!
Hang in there kiddo, "halfway" definitely counts in this game!

Cheering for you!
Marcia