HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Joints ache probably Arimidex side effect (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26616)

CLTann 01-09-2007 10:29 AM

Joints ache probably Arimidex side effect

Dear Friends,

I have been on Arimidex more than 15 months. Lately, my joints (most of the right side) gave me sore and painful feeling, particularly when lying down. If I had sufficient sleep, the discomfor is much less. Do any of you have a similar problem? If so, how did you remedy the problem? Does a change to Femara help? Thanks for answering.

Linda2 01-09-2007 10:40 AM

Dear Ann,

I started on Arimidex and had joint and bone pain so bad, could hardly walk. I told my Onc and she started me on Femara. I have been on Femara for 3 months and the pain is gone. I also workout on an elliptical and this seems to really help your joints. I do find that if I sit real long, it is hard to get up at first; your bones get really stiff.

I have no side effects with Femara like I did with Arimidex. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Hopeful 01-09-2007 11:59 AM

Dear Ann,

I started on Femara, and developed severe tinnitus within the first month. I had no joint pain. My onc switched me to Arimidex, to see if that would help. It took the tinnitus down a notch (it is related to estrogen deprivation, I believe, and Femara gets the levels down lower), however, on day 21 of Arimidex I noticed a sudden onset of joint pain and stiffness in the hands. These drugs definitely have side effects! It is a real case of "pick your poison." Good luck with your choice.

Hopeful

CLTann 01-09-2007 04:36 PM

Thanks for your answers. Linda2, what do you mean by elliptical? I guess the medication gives side effects varying with people. We just have to try out the least offense medicine.

Linda2 01-09-2007 05:15 PM

An elliptical is sort of like a stair stepper and treadmill. You can work your arms and legs.

I think you are right. Everyone has different side effects from their medicine.

Wish you the best.

Jean 01-09-2007 07:52 PM

ONE YEAR on Arimidex....

Ann,
had a great deal of bone and joint pain. Esp. in the hip and hands.
Was so stiff in the morning but exercise helped. I also have an
eiliptical exercise machine at home and it is a wonderful piece of
euipment as it does not impact on the joints but allows you to have
a great workout.

I did stop taking the Arimidex after one year and now have been on
Femara since Sept. I am finding it much better and do not have
the heavy joint pain. But I do experience some mild ache and stiffness
after sitting in the car for a period of an hour or more. But once I
move around it goes away. I truly beleive that moving and exercise
are very important while on either AI. For me Femara seems to
be better.

Hope you feel better.