HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   time of Herceptin delivery (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26116)

sarah 11-24-2006 12:48 AM

time of Herceptin delivery

I get Herceptin every 3 weeks. last time they gave it to me in 1/2 hour instead of the usual 1 1/2 hours. they'd said it've proven to be ok at that speed. Has the time changed for all of you as well? I'm in France.
thanks
Sarah

Sheila 11-24-2006 05:47 AM

Sarah

I have always gotten it in 30 minutes, except for the first time,

astrid 11-24-2006 07:22 AM

The first time they ALWAYS deliver it slowly. The usual is 90 minutes. The reason for this is that it is very hard on your heart, so they are looking for an adverse or an allergic reaction. I did not do well the first time. I experienced a fever all night long that would go up and down sporadically. I had a headache for 3 days. So the next two times I also received the drug for 90 minutes. My ONC changed my orders to be 90 minutes. The 4<SUP>th</SUP> & 5<SUP>th</SUP> time I tried 60 minutes and because my order still said 90 minutes, I had to get my ONC to change my orders to 30 minutes. I still feel very tired the evening of my infusion, but I can handle the 30 minutes fine. I am surprised they did not go from 90 to 60 and then to 30, but I guess as you did well the first time, you are fine to go 30 every time from now on.

StephN 11-24-2006 01:33 PM

45 mins for me

I have settled on about 45 minutes give or take a couple, as they have to program in the numbers according to weight, etc.

If I take the 3-week dose in 1/2 hour, I am more likely to get a bit feverish, and am more tired the following day. Just a few more minutes makes a big difference to me.

I think the order says 30 minutes, but the nurses know that I prefer a little longer.

You should be able to ask for something between 30 and 60 minutes.

Chelee 11-24-2006 03:39 PM

My orders call for 30 minutes. But my nurse knows I like mine to be at least one hour. (I usually do weekly.) However this last time I did a 3 wk dose and asked the nurse to set it for at least 90 minutes. I like it slower as I feel better & don't get a major headache that way.

Chelee

panicked911 11-24-2006 04:00 PM

I begged for them to do the three week dose over a shorter period of time and there was no way. They said the side effects were more severe sit for th extra hour and it will benefit you in the long term. For the six months I did the three week dose I sat for the 90 minutes and not happily, but made it thru. The long term side effects were more severe but the short trm ( tiredness, headaches were the same as 30 mintes.

Susanne
Susanne

Mary Jo 11-24-2006 08:21 PM

I received my herceptin every 3 weeks (even during radiation) and always received it in a 30 minute infusion. The only time is was longer was the first infusion and that was at 90 minutes. I was fine throughout and herceptin never seemed to affect me.

Mary Jo

jhandley 11-25-2006 02:51 AM

had it both ways and 30 min better

Hi all
I have had it both 30 min and 90 min and have more side effects and nausea with the longer time.
Jackie

sarah 11-25-2006 03:43 AM

very interesting. thanks
sarah

rinaina 11-25-2006 03:29 PM

90 minutes for me every 3 weeks.

Maggie 11-25-2006 03:53 PM

90 minutes every 3 weeks for me, too. My doctor wanted this.. I still had to stop after 7 months due to low Muga Scans.. :(

Maggie

Bev 11-25-2006 08:00 PM

I began at 90 minutes, no problem. I was there when the head nurse told the others we are switching to 30 minutes. I asked for a compromise of 45 minutes, which I got. Except for Gi disturbances, Herceptin agrees with me. BB

geraldine 11-25-2006 08:51 PM

Hi Sarah,
After 6 mths of weekly infusions over 30 mins, I started a on a 3 weekly treatment, infusions over 60 mins and have done so for the last 2+1/2 years. I allways have a headache after treatment and it lasts for a few hours, but nothing so bad, that I need painkillers. In fact I have been going to work later that day with no problems ( I manage a very busy bar ) so maybe the 60 min infusion is not so bad. I have never experienced nausea while on Herceptin only, maybe I'm just the lucky one.
I have just finished a 54 hour week and admit I feel tired, but the fact that I am able to do the hours again is such a boost to me cos I never thought I'd
get this far.

Geraldine

MJo 11-26-2006 09:39 AM

90 minute infusions every three weeks for me.

Wow, Geraldine! Managing a bar on Herceptin. We sure are different here. I practically fall asleep at my desk by 3 pm the first week after my Herceptin infusion. I start to feel better, then it's time to tank me up again. I look forward to finishing my year in March. Please have your customers lift a glass for me. MJO

Merridith 11-26-2006 10:17 AM

I have been taking Herceptin for about a year and it has always been given over 1.5 hours. They have just changed it to a 1/2 hour infusion. I was told it was the new protocol.

I'm located in Canada

Merridith