HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Blood work before Herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25989)

kari 11-09-2006 08:01 AM

Blood work before Herceptin

Greetings!
Looking for info on what "standard" protocol seems to be for pre-Herceptin blood work. I will be doing Her. once every three weeks for a year.
My onc says it's not necessary every time because Herceptin doesn't have the same effect on white count that chemo does. She is willing to do a "baseline" before my first one next week. My chemo nurse, when I called and asked her, said they do blood work every time before Herceptin. Other women I have talked to say they get it done every third treatment (or 9 weeks).
I won't complain about not having to have blood drawn, but I want to be sure it isn't necessary to have it checked periodically, before I make too much of a fuss.
I am from Ontario, Canada, and perhaps some of the rationale is cost-driven, or maybe just different standard procedures, depending on the clinic.
Thanks for your replies! Blessings to all.
Kari

The Lord is my strength and my salvation.

Hopeful 11-09-2006 08:14 AM

Hi Kari,

My onc does a CBC before each treatment (every three weeks) which is just a finger stick and a few drops of blood. He does additional testing every other treatment, which I have yet to get a copy of, so I don't know what he is testing for. I should say that he is in private practice and has a laboratory at his office where they do the CBC work, so that may influence the frequency. He said it is his practice to get this blood work regularly on all his patients, so I don't think it is Herceptin specific.

Good luck to you.

Hopeful

Barbara 11-09-2006 08:27 AM

Blood Work Before Herceptin

Hi:

I have a CBC before each Herceptin infusion which is the protocol for all the Herceptin patients in my oncologist's office. I am one of those patients who did get anemia and low white counts from Herceptin so they do not hang the Herceptin drip until they have the results. On the other Herceptin patients they do not wait to start the Hereceptin until the labs are back. Every other treatment or every six weeks, I have a complete chemistry panel and CA 27-29 to monitor for reoccurrences.

Barbara

tousled1 11-09-2006 01:08 PM

I get blood drawn from my port before every Herceptin treatment. They do a CBC. My blood counts continue to be low on Herceptin - at least the red blood cells. I usually have to get a shot of Procrit. At least my white counts are finally in the "normal" although just over the nornal number. I also get the HER2 serum test done every 12 weeks.

tricia keegan 11-09-2006 01:16 PM

I too get a cbc done before every infusion although I've had no problems at all and they don't wait for the results back before starting the iv.
I've just had my final tx today yippee!!!
Tricia

kari 11-09-2006 01:27 PM

Tricia,
So happy for you that you are finished with treatment!
Does that mean you are all done, except for follow-ups and monitoring?
It would seem so strange after a year or more of appointments and treatments to be able to sit back and breathe! Can't wait 'til I'm there.
Take care.
Blessings,
Kari

The Lord is my strength and my salvation

Sheila 11-09-2006 04:09 PM

I have never had blood work before Herceptin in over 3 years...I do get it now that I am on Xeloda....I never had a problem with Herceptin.

suzan w 11-09-2006 05:03 PM

I had a complete blood work up before each herceptin treatment, including a CA27/29. And a MUGA scan before the treatment started, for a baseline...and every 3 months during treatment. My year of herceptin was over on Oct. 4th. I feel slightly untethered now...floating free till January and my first "check-up"!!

G. Ann 11-10-2006 12:37 AM

Hi Kari,

When I first began Herceptin, no blood work until the 3rd month, and then again in the 7th month. That's when the hemoglobin and hematocrit began dropping to below normal in the "moderately" anemic range. Since then and after taking 3 iron pills, I am back in normal range and being monitored every 3 weeks. No problem with WBC. It's weird because during chemo my HGB & HCT stayed in low normal range or just a bit under normal range. Recently had colonoscopy/endoscopy and that came back with IBS and moderate inflammation for upper GI, but benign polyps. Herceptin seems to be the cause of low red blood counts.
G.Ann

astrid 11-10-2006 05:59 AM

I think the necessity for blood work really depends on the patient and how well they are doing. If blood count is an issue, they will draw it. If you want blood work for your own information ask for it. I started Herceptin in June 2006. I am on the every three week cycle. The first two months, I saw my ONC every time and labs were done every time. I am doing very well so labs are drawn every other time and I see my ONC every other time. My ONC will do a CA27/29 periodically. I think a CA27/29 is dependant on staging and lymph node involvement. Blood pressure, weight and temperature should be taken every time as the dose is dependent on weight.

mke 11-10-2006 06:16 PM

I'm in Ontario too and while I had blood work always before chemo, I only have it once every 3-4 times on herceptin. I'm on the 3 week schedule and have had no problems at all.

juanita 11-12-2006 03:50 PM

I had cbc before each treatment. That is the standard for my onc.

Becky 11-12-2006 05:14 PM

I had a CBC every other Herceptin and full work up every three months (when I was on Herceptin - I am now done).

Kind regards

Becky

lisahammo 11-12-2006 05:31 PM

I have a full FBE done every week. Herceptin was able to be started while we waited for the CBC results to come in.

Lisa

sarah 11-13-2006 12:21 AM

I get a complete blood count done with the CA 15,3 every 2 months. I take it 2 days before my Herceptin so it's at the same time. I've been told it isn't necessary every time - I get Herceptin every 3 weeks. Also every 3 months I get a sonogram of the heart. When I was on Taxol, I got blood work done before each injection - every week.
sarah

Adriana Mangus 11-13-2006 07:34 PM

Blood Work Before Herceptin

Hi: I have been on herceptin (recurrence) for the last 3 years and I do not get a blood test each time I receive herceptin which is every three weeks. I do however get a more complete lab work (Liver panel, CBC) about every 12 weeks when I see my onc. My doctor also mentioned to me that it's not necessary to have your blood drawn before herceptin since Herceptin does not cause problems like regular chemo. Good luck.