HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   herceptin 1wk vs 3wk (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25882)

elcalabrese 10-31-2006 05:25 AM

herceptin 1wk vs 3wk

Hello,
After reading all the side effects (including my own) from Herceptin my question is how many of you with the more severe side effects are on the once/3wk schedule? How many once a week? It seems to me that I didn't have all the problems until I switched to every 3 weeks about a year ago.
I will be seeing my onc next week and I plan on bringing this up because I am seriously considering going back to once a week.
Thanks
Eleanor

janet/FL 10-31-2006 06:50 AM

Eleanor, I noticed no difference.
Sorry you are having so many problems.
If I were you I would switch back to the weekly plan and see if it helps. You can always go back to the three week infusion.
Janet

karen raines hunt 10-31-2006 09:50 AM

HI,

I was in the Hera trial..........A/C, then Taxol/Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks, then Herceptin weekly for another 40 weeks (ended in July). Once I started with Herceptin only, most of my discomforts, aches went away. In fact, by spring I was feeling great. Unfortunately, don't seem to feel as well and energetic now.
Warmest regards,
Karen

atdec05 10-31-2006 09:54 AM

I've been on a weekly schedule for 9 months. I did a triple dose before I went on vacation, and did feel a little nauseous after that treatment. Maybe it takes longer to get symptoms if on a weekly schedule, but I have high blood pressure, soreness/pain in feet, legs, and back, intermittent headache, and now earache!

- Anna

madubois63 10-31-2006 06:34 PM

I'd take the 1x a week over a triple dose anytime. I think it is easier on the heart, the muscles and joints - just my opinion. I had very little noticable side effects on both plans, but I did have to take a herceptin break when my MUGA rating dropped.

Maxine 10-31-2006 06:55 PM

I am so glad to read your message as I am going to ask my oncologist to go back to weekly instead of 3 weekly, at the moment I am copinbg with 3 brain mets, liver, mets, chest wall recurrence after mastectomy 3 years ago, have had 3 radiotherapies this year on thigh, brain and chest wall but i generally feel okay would love to hear from anyone else in similar situation

tousled1 10-31-2006 10:39 PM

I started Herceptin weekly and due to the side effects decided I'd go to the 3 week cycle. There was no change in the side effects with every week or every 3 weeks. I'm going to stick with the every 3 week cycle simply because it means less time spent at the doctors.

Sheila 11-01-2006 10:25 AM

I get Herceptin every 3 weeks and always have....the runny nose, watery eyes, dry skin and thinning eyebrows are the only side effects I seem to be bothered with....occasionally I feel tired the day of infusion, but sometimes I think it is the stress of the 150 mile roundtrip drive in nasty traffic that does it! At least with every 3 weeks, I feel I have some normalcy in my life!