HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   A quiet weekend from Tykerb! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25314)

Sandy H 09-08-2006 01:28 PM

A quiet weekend from Tykerb!

Well, the mild diarrhea went into severe diarrhea from the Xeloda/Tykerb. I called oncology and after a few hours of looking into the protocal I was told to go on a clear liquid diet and take imodium every 4 hours. Stop the Xeloda as they seem to think its that. When I am diarrhea free for 12 hours I can advance to the brat diet of rice, bananas, applesauce and toast. I have lost my appetite no desire for food-I know I can stand to loose a few pounds but not this way. These are two side effects of Tykerb. I am having a problem sleeping, another side effect,so that makes me tired. The nurse will call me on Monday to see how I am doing. If this gets better or stops then we will know its the Xeloda and if not then its the Tykerb. I told her I don't remember having diarrhea when I took the Xeloda before but the nurse said it maybe, too much with the two together. Here we are my chest feels and looks better but the other end feels worse!! Can we ever win here? Another quiet weekend who wants to go anywhere with diarrhea? Will keep my little Yoda company. We are still waiting to hear from the surgeon. hugs, Sandy

Cathya 09-08-2006 01:37 PM

Sandy;

I am so glad you are keeping us informed of your treatments. You are so right....if it's not one thing it's another.....lol. What a bummer....lol. I really shouldn't kid as I know this isn't funny. I hope you enjoy a quiet weekend and this passes....good grief...Sandy that was NOT intentional! Perhaps it's not either drug just a slight flu? Keep well....glad to hear that it's working on your skin mets.

Cathy

Sandy H 09-08-2006 04:44 PM

Thanks Cathy but I am sure its not the flu as it started with in a couple of days after starting this treatment as mild and just getting worse. hugs, Sandy

lindaw 09-08-2006 04:52 PM

Dear Sandy

I was so pleased and excited to hear about your great reaction to the tykerb for your skin mets. i am sorry the diarrhea has been so severe - I really hope they can keep that under control.

love
lindaw

pattyz 09-09-2006 07:38 AM

Sandy,

I've wondered about this: if Xeloda comes in pills of 500mg and the protocal calls for 3000mg a day (1500mg 2x's da) why could a person not just skip one of the Xeloda pills, or two, a day?

Depending on what your dosage was prior to this, and you did well on it? And wanted to stay on the protocal since you are already responding? GIVEN once you get your bottom half in order, ofcourse! First things first and all that :o

Truely, I hope you recover quickly, feeling better with each hours passing,
hugsxoxopattyz

Joy 09-09-2006 08:22 AM

sorry to hear

Hi Sandy, I'm so sorry about the side effects. When I started Xeloda I had such severe diarrhea too. I had it for 2 weeks and my onc at the time said he didn't think it was Xeloda! Anyway, it resolved itself, for real! I'm not trying to scare you with the 2 week thing and you are doing things to help it that I didn't do. The point is it got better on its own and I continued the treatment and THAT is what I wish for you!!!

Steph 09-09-2006 04:14 PM

Sandy,

I too am on Tykerb...about a month now. I had severe diarhea but it hit me the second day, I think it only took a couple days ...maybe a week to work itself out. I feel that like with every new drug my body had to get used to it or figure out how to deal with it. All is good now:). I was told by my protocol nurse that that is the most common side affect. Another is a rash that resembles acne...had that too. It will work itself out.

Steph

tousled1 09-09-2006 04:17 PM

Sandy,

Sorry that you are experiencing side effects. Maybe that means that the combo is working for you. Hang in there. I've been reading a lot about Tykerb and the reports so far are good.

chrisy 09-09-2006 10:27 PM

Hi Sandy,
Bummer! After waiting so long and fighting so hard AND getting an immediate response on your skin mets...sorry you have this "extra" excitement! The lengths some people will go to to snuggle in with their puppy all weekend.
Hope you feel better and are able to get back on full protocol soon.
take care
Chris

marymary 09-10-2006 09:11 PM

Feel Better Soon

Hi Sandy:

I am sorry to hear about this side effect of Tykerb, I didn't know about that. It sounds difficult. Hope you are feeling better soon.

I am always so happy to read anything new about Yoda, so glad he is bouncing back and still loyally by your side.

Mary

Shell 09-11-2006 04:45 AM

Sandy-

I got occasional diarheara on the xeloda alone, usually controlled with immodum, and for me it got a bit worse once the tykerb was added - i generally have it once in the morning, and then hopefully that's it...

also, i recall that the 1st few days after taking tykerb, the fatigue hit me really hard! but it settled down somewhat and i got back to my usual schedule.

i never lost my appetite with this combo, (darn!), so hopefully once the fatigue passes you'll feel a bit more like eating.

Good luck with things,
Shell

MJo 09-11-2006 05:24 AM

Thank you, ladies, for being the Tykerb pioneers. I'm sorry that you are going through this diarrhea thing, Sandy, and I hope it improves. At least when little Yoda gets his surgery, the veterinary surgeon should have plenty of bathrooms if you need to make a pit stop.